Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
Brenn Tradeck
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've been wonderin all, about makin me own server, I love playing as a character in other people DMed worlds and all, but I also love being the DM ya know? So how much does a small server cost around, I used to be in a diablo guild a long time ago, and our guild leader ran our website off a server from his own home, he claimed he wasn't rich or nothin, just about average for an American. So How much, and what steps would I need to take to get everything set up? Will it work off of my current computer?

This are my system specks all:

1gig processor
32bit TNT2 (probably be upgrading to a radeon)
60gig hardrive
SoundBlaster Live, 128, platinum edition
256ram

Is that all ye need to know, um well if ya can help me i'd much apreciate it, and if you need anymore information i'd be more than glad to tell you what I can. Don't mean to trouble nonaye but I just was wonderin, an ya know how curiosity can be.

Thanks in advance yas.

------------------
"They say in death you find new life, You'll soon know for sure"
-Kheallin Drah Defaurn, Ruler of the 18th Dynasty
Brenn Tradeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 06:20 AM   #2
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

You might want to consider a larger HD (like 80 Gb) a new processor (min. 1.4 GHz preferably 2.0 GHz ). I would do the upgrade of the graphic card. and I would get an extra 256 MB memory. If you want good servers, check compaq's they've got excellent server-systems

------------------

Lady Menqel, Protector of IW's, smiter of evil

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
- Priest of Helm
- Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
- Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
- Magical advisor of MiLady Lioness
- Thanks to Sazerac for the great sig picture

[This message has been edited by Mirac Honorguard (edited 10-20-2001).]
Mirac Honorguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 06:59 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

when it comes to servers, enough is never enough. however, your current system should funtion, especially if you keep the game relatively small. whether you'll need to upgrade depends on the game, and no one can say yet for sure. id go for storage and memory before a processor unless i was getting severe problems. speed on both of those will be critical. ram in the UK is currently about 10p per meg so you have no excuse for not upgrading that at least.

hold on, 60 Gb to small? what is mirac on. id _kill_ for a HD that size. of course, if its full then you'll need more, but ive never seen anyone fill up a drive that big unless he was a digital photgrapher or movie maker. more important will be back-up storage, unless you want angry party members desperate to finish the quest that just got vaporised by a hd crash. go for a RAID system if you can afford it, set to mirror the data. keep backups on CD_R. do not do what my dad did and leave them gold-side up on a window sill, even scotlands summers will fry the dye used on them. keep them in a cool, dark place. a safe would be good.

(RAID stands for redundant array of inexpensive drives. mirroring refers to having the same data on 2 (or more) drives to increse reliability. as opposed to striping which spread the same file across multiple drives for speed improvment)

the graphics shuld not effect the quality of the game served(on any system ive used thus far at least) but might be needed for the editors. probably the most important will be your connection - not a problem on a LAN, but for the internet you really need broadband. even for simple things like quake 3. for NWN you'll probably needs gods own internet pipe.

andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 11:25 PM   #4
jsolo15
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Dell.com

You can get a nice server for about 2775.00 you can get a Dell Power Edge 500SC

1. PIII 1.Gb Mhz
2. 1 Gb memory
3. 2 Scsi 20 gb Hardrives

That would be nice for a Server
jsolo15 is offline   Reply With Quote