Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2002, 06:06 PM   #1
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Bard/Sorcerer seems like a no-brainer multiclass to me, but I haven't been hearing anyone talking about it.

Here's why I think this would be a good Multiclass:

#1 Both the Bard and the Sorcerer get spells based on Charisma!
#2 Dexterity is a secondary skill for both classes.
#3 The Bard half makes a good artillery type, which keeps the Sorcerer half out of harm's way.
#4 Lingering Song allows the character to start a Bard song, cast a Sorcerer spell and come back to singing without losing the song effects.

So am I missing something or is the Bard/Sorcerer being overlooked?

- Cerberus

(My second ever PnP character was a Bard, back when D&D first came out.)
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 06:13 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Most people don't usually multiclass their spellcaster because they want to be able to cast the highest spells posible, with the highest effect possible.

If I had to chose between getting a bard level or getting one more hit dice of damage for my spells, I would chose the dice.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:24 PM   #3
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

"one more hit dice of damage for my spells"

Is this part of 3rd Ed rules?

Do I need to buy a 3rd Ed Players Handbook in order to play this game?

- Cerberus
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:47 PM   #4
espeed
Dungeon Master

Unless you intend to play "heart of fury" mode, I would stick with just Sorcerer and try your damn best to get to lvl 9 spells first.
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 10:40 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerberus:
"one more hit dice of damage for my spells"

Is this part of 3rd Ed rules?

Do I need to buy a 3rd Ed Players Handbook in order to play this game?

- Cerberus
Here is an example. The fireball spell deal 1d6 point of damage per level in the class. A level 6 sorcerer would do 6d6, while a level 5 Sorcerer/1 bard would do 5d6.

I really like bards in pen and paper games, but when it come to crpg, and especially Icewind Dales games, I think they are weak. They are better in social campain than in hack and slash one.
Old 09-28-2002, 06:21 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I've got a generic wizard in my party so I'm multiclassing my bard with wizard. She's a wild elf, so it seemed natural.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:46 AM   #7
DraconisRex

I've done the Bard/Sorcerer and the Bard/Mage. Oddly, they are very much set-up the same, because of the purpose of the bard. The bard, as I play it, is always the rogue in the party. In order to be an effective rogue, maximum points must be available to increase Open Locks and Disable Device. That means a minimum of 14 intelligence.

As a sorcerer/bard, I tend to increase Charisma beyond the 14 I would use for a mage/bard. As a mage/bard, I go for a 16 Intelligence as a minimum.

The other attribute scores pretty much have to stay the same. You need to have strength. You need to have dexterity. You need to have constitution. You need to have charisma.

Sorcerer/Bards have to watch their spell selection, and you'll find yourself picking up more offensive type spells because the bard spells are more defensive/affective.

Anyway, both class combinations work well. I have found the Sorcerer/Bard is better at offense than the straight bard or the Mage/Bard. While the Mage/Bard is better at utility/defensive magic.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:04 AM   #8
DraconisRex

Luvian,

Got to disagree with the thought process.

"Here is an example. The fireball spell deal 1d6 point of damage per level in the class. A level 6 sorcerer would do 6d6, while a level 5 Sorcerer/1 bard would do 5d6.

I really like bards in pen and paper games, but when it come to crpg, and especially Icewind Dales games, I think they are weak. They are better in social campain than in hack and slash one."

1. Damage spells are limited. You look at the fireball in the beginning stages and say "less damage." True, but there are caveats. For example, the enemies you're likely to face will not be killed by a 6d6 fireball (18hpdamavg) over a 5d6 (15hpdamavg).

2. The social aspect is alive in this game. Bardsong modifiers are very much mis-understood. A +1 (+5%) to hit is very mis-understood by the average player because they look at absolute values versus relatives in effectiveness. Example: If you can only hit an opponent on an 11+ and get a +1 modifier (making it 10+) you have not increased +5% in relative terms. You have increased 1/10 or 10% in relative terms. Bardsong is available at all times in this game.

3. Bards, especially humans, make great front-men. Yes, at times, you won't get to place them in a leadership position in the appropriate semi-random or controlled-type encounter, but over-all they play a very positive role in IWD:II.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 03:47 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DraconisRex:
Luvian,

Got to disagree with the thought process.

"Here is an example. The fireball spell deal 1d6 point of damage per level in the class. A level 6 sorcerer would do 6d6, while a level 5 Sorcerer/1 bard would do 5d6.

I really like bards in pen and paper games, but when it come to crpg, and especially Icewind Dales games, I think they are weak. They are better in social campain than in hack and slash one."

1. Damage spells are limited. You look at the fireball in the beginning stages and say "less damage." True, but there are caveats. For example, the enemies you're likely to face will not be killed by a 6d6 fireball (18hpdamavg) over a 5d6 (15hpdamavg).

2. The social aspect is alive in this game. Bardsong modifiers are very much mis-understood. A +1 (+5%) to hit is very mis-understood by the average player because they look at absolute values versus relatives in effectiveness. Example: If you can only hit an opponent on an 11+ and get a +1 modifier (making it 10+) you have not increased +5% in relative terms. You have increased 1/10 or 10% in relative terms. Bardsong is available at all times in this game.

3. Bards, especially humans, make great front-men. Yes, at times, you won't get to place them in a leadership position in the appropriate semi-random or controlled-type encounter, but over-all they play a very positive role in IWD:II.
Horrid Wilting cap at level 25, and every level add a d8.
My Paladin is +35/+30/+25/+20 and my Fighter is +30/+25/+20/+15 and +30 off hand. Another +1 to attack would not be usefull, but the aditional +1d8 to horid wilting and others high levels spells is very usefull.