Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2003, 03:23 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Picard's Final Frontier

Disinterested movie audiences may have succeeded in accomplishing what armies of Klingons could not -- the destruction of the Star Trek enterprise. Speaking with reporters during a junket to promote the upcoming X-Men 2, Patrick Stewart, who portrayed Jean-Luc Picard in the Next Generation TV series beginning in 1987 and in the theatrical features since 1994, said "I've probably said goodbye to Picard forever now." He added that he doubted that the Next Generation cast would perform together again and seemed to cast doubt on the future of the Paramount franchise entirely. Reporting on Stewart's comments, Entertainment Weekly observed on its website Monday that Paramount chairman Sherry Lansing had concluded following the failure of the recent Star Trek: Nemesis that the franchise's "fan base has in some way shrunk." [Newsday recounts Stewart's "worst encounter with a Star Trek groupie" when, he said, he went onstage in Shakespeare's The Tempest "only to find two people sitting in the front row in Starfleet uniforms, and I wanted to hurt them."]
Old 04-22-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I am not a star trek fan but I enjoyed the movie Nemesis. I also like Patrick Stewart as an actor but never could get into TNG TV show, so I won't be sad that it is gone. I liked Voyager and the current Enterprise however.

[ 04-22-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:01 AM   #3
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Paramount shoulda known that the real "Nemesis" would be The Two Towers. Any movie going up against that would be handed its head.
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:46 AM   #4
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Things kind of fell apart after First Contact, Insurrection was just plain horrible, if I was producer I wouldn't even allow that script for a one-hour episode. Although Nemesis was a step-up, most of the cast is really starting to look their age. Farewell to TNG, it was definately the best Trek series so far but it outstayed its welcome.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:57 AM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Of course Nemesis doesn't draw many visitors. Its only in three Dutch cinema's... when First Contact came out, it was in every movie house on the block.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:28 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I started to dislike the next generation when wolfe is having an affair with diana troy ( in the 7th season ). I wanted to see diana troy to be together with riker again.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 07:41 AM   #7
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Don't worry, Riker gets Troi in the end, although it took him 7+ years to do it. I do not recall Worf and Troi having a serious relationship in any season, I'm aware of the romantic chemistry between them of course. The only case I remember was the time travel episode.

[ 04-23-2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Rimjaw ]
Old 04-23-2003, 08:53 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rimjaw:
Don't worry, Riker gets Troi in the end, although it took him 7+ years to do it.
where? which episode is this? or is it in a movie?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #9
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

They renewed their romance in 'Insurrection' and tied the knot in Nemesis.

Btw, does anybody know about the whole Picard/Dr Crusher romantic tension that was going on in the early seasons?
Old 04-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #10
Albromor
Mephistopheles

The entire fault belongs in the laps of two people: Berman and Braga. They couldn't wait to rend the controls of the franchise from Roddenberry's hands because they didn't like the way Trek was made in his image (let it be clear here and now that I never worshipped at the altar of Roddenberry; I think some ideas of his would have been disasters, i.e., check out his idea for Star Trek II). So now B&B have had Trek in their image for 13 + years and it is crashing and burning. TNG had some fine moments, but the very thing B&B castigated Roddenberry for, i.e., stale ideas, little imagination, old parameters, etc., they have modeled themselves with their own same old formula, the same old ideas, etc. They managed to alienate a large contigent of Trek fans with the way they handled Kirk in Generations. Whether you like Kirk or not, you can't say this wasn't a major mistake from a franchise point. Many people abandoned Trek after that fiasco. Secondly, both hate TOS and they've said so as such. Yet without the original series, none of the new would be in existence. Third, they gave us Voyager. Pure dreck. And now Enterprise whose ratings are continuously abysmal. Both Voyager and Enterprise had such promise and these two have given us subpar space operas. It says volumes when they don't put Star Trek in the title Enterprise. Lastly, they could care less about continuity. The problem is that a large number of Trek fans care about continuity.

Well Rokenn, as you can see this stirs up my blood. Though I may be a TOS fan I truly want to see Trek move forward. I'm not afraid of the new, just as long as it is good. B&B, IMO, have failed miserably as Voyager, Enterprise and Nemesis, as well as Insurrection, numbers prove. Also, The Two Towers was the main player when Nemesis came out, but if Nemesis was good I guarantee it would have done fine. People spend their money on quality. Many blockbusters come out and other movies that happen to come on the scene do fine as well if they are decent. Let the flaming begin.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote