Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 03:22 AM   #1
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

Well I was experimenting some with using a Dual weapon character, and I noticed something I didn't like. You only get 1 attack per round with your 2nd weapon! Ick!
I made up a dual warrior, Grandmaster with longswords, and with 3 points in dual weapons for a 0/-2 to hit ability. My weapon speed was 5 attacks every 2 rounds, so about 2 1/2 attacks per round with my one longsword. When I equipped my 2nd longsword, my attacks per round went up to 7/2 which is 7 attacks every 2 rounds, or 3.5 attacks per round.
Only 1 attack with your 2nd weapon. Sorry if everyone knows this already, I didn't. I didn't see such info anywhere in the game nor in the instruction manual. So your wasting 3 points in the dual weapon catagory for only 1 more attack per round, plus you lose shield use.
Old 06-01-2001, 03:53 AM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I think you get more as you level up and speed factor of sword plays a part too. You can eventually get 9/2 attacks then if you haste em......

------------------
BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!

[This message has been edited by caleb (edited 06-01-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001, 08:50 AM   #3
koz-ivan
Manshoon

there are many reasons to dual wield, the extra attack is only one of them.
many weapons have nifty bonuses, that only work if the weapon is in hand, by dual wielding you get both bonuses.

and it looks cool.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:56 AM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yep. I'm not a big fan of dual wielding either. I'd usually rather have the shield bonus to AC or the "Single weapon style" bonus to AC and boost my attacks with my primary weapon. I do know that the # of attack per round caps out at some level...so you cannot get an infinite number of attacks per round but I'm not sure what the cap is.

The couple of times that I would consider dual wield would be with a Ranger (as he already has stars in that skill from the start) or a Thief (as thieves can only use bucklers for shields). I would also dual, maybe, if I had Belm as one of my weapons for the extra attack per round...or so I could wield both Crom Fayer (for STR bonus) and Celestial Fury (for stun abilities).

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-01-2001, 09:22 AM   #5
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

One word is my arguement for Duel Wielding: Drizzt.

BK
Old 06-01-2001, 09:30 AM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
One word is my arguement for Duel Wielding: Drizzt.

BK
LOL! Point taken.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-01-2001, 12:28 PM   #7
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

I wouldn't use the Drizzt argument, My Undead Hunter Paladin kicked his butt with a 2 handed Avenger sword, Didn't enforce the superiority of dual weapon fighters
Old 06-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #8
IamGeorge
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Your paladin had a 2handed weapon,(and the best one in the game). Of course he will rape everyone.

I like dual wielding. I think fighters are good for dual wielding the same type of weapon. You can get grand mastery in one weapon type and still put 3 stars in dual wielding. I got Korgan with 2 axes that were +3. Before, he was using either a shield of reflection or a shield that gave +3 to AC. He is MUCH better off with the 2 axes, each of which has either fire or acid to kill trolls off. Korgan has over half the kills of the party up to chapter 4, and Keldorn with his Lilacor +3 cant come close to Korgan's kills.

------------------
I'm so happy, 'cause today I found my friends; they're in my head. --Nirvana
Old 06-01-2001, 03:03 PM   #9
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Caps out at 5 max, but most chars can only get to 4 or 4 1/2. But my swashbuckler is wicked with Belm and Celestial fury, and my ranger is dual wielding Cromfaeyr and Ardulia's Fall(improved). Of course, come ToB, there's going to be a new super hammer in town...