Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Magazines... I tried this topic on another forum and got some intresting insights into peoples 'other' lives and hobbies so I thought i would post it here.....

Working around airplanes I get to read many magazines on the most obscure topics from around the world (free of charge of course). Myself I consume all the motorbike magazines, most adult music mags like Q or Rolling Stone (though that has gone downhill for the last 5 years or so IMO) and news based mags like the Bulletin and Time (also gone downhill) and of course the odd 'lads' mags like FHM and the like [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

So what magazines do you subscribe to or buy regularly? Which ones do you grab and read while in the waiting rooms? Since the internet has taken off are there magazines that you only access online that previously you would have bought?

[ 04-14-2007, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The only magazines that I ever had a subscription to was #1. Nintendo Power, (and I still have most of those if any of you know whether or not they're worth anything)and #2. My church's publication (Ensign), but I can now access that entire magazine online for free so I don't bother with paying for a hard copy.

Recently, I've looked through certain magazines like cooking magazines and home improvement/garden magazines but they are filled with so many advertisements that its not worth my money to buy something that only has 50% of what I think I'm buying.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well back in my Chef days it was Bon appetite.

But last couple of years I have not bought to many. But if I see a pile of mags. I tend to look for the gossip crap. Like people and US. Sad I know.

I did have a subscrition to Maxiam not to long ago. But never re-newed it.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I like gossip mags and fashion mags. I read probably 5-8 magazines each week; my mum buys them, gives them to me, then they are passed around to mum's sisters and my cousin, so they are well appreciated by that time. I always like to have something to read while I'm watching TV or have a bit of spare time, and gossip magazines don't exactly require a lot of thinking. Plus it's always funny to read the obviously made-up celebrity stories - made more obvious when one magazine will have one spin on a story and a rival mag in the same week will have the opposite spin. LOL I remember a few months ago one had a story about a holiday Prince William and Kate went on in which it was a 'pre-engagement' holiday and he gave her Di's ring and such. However, the same holiday in another magazine was described as a 'holiday from hell' for Kate as she had to put up with William flirting with other women and getting drunk and such. The hilarious thing was that they used the exact same three pictures to illustrate these rather different accounts.

Plus I read cooking magazines to get inspiration as well. I don't mind the ads as all magazines I read have ads so I guess I'm used to it. I opened one the other day that I'd already flipped through to read some of the articles properly, and thought 'oh I've probably gone too far along'. Actually I hadn't even reached the contents page because they usually start with 6 or so double page ads.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

My first ever magazine subscription was White Dwarf (Warhammer) and the second was Atomic PC magazine (Awesome read) and thats it!
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I subscribe to Vogue and Glamour. What? They have more naked women (and prettier) than Playboy.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I read the rags now and then (Globe, National Enquirer) and have a subscription for Discover magazine.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

We get Consumer Reports, PC Magazine and an Archaeology one that I like to look at from time to time.

Used to get several others but we just never get around to reading most of them and they take up tons of space.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Jorath Calar
Harper

I have been buying Magazines since I was 14, but never been a subscriber, started with Zzap 64 a Commodore 64 magazine, then moved to ST Format which covered Atari ST and then PC Format, which I still buy to this day, although not every month. I also buy White Dwarf for Warhammer, but more out of a habit these last few months rather than interest. I also buy a history magazine.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

I thought many more people on this forun would buy the white dwarf mag [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote