Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2001, 05:31 PM   #31
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Stealth! Nice to see you! Actually the last book so far in the TG series is Faith of the Fallen (just came out and I GOT IT)! Memnoch has all the books now before that. Yes, I have to agree that one book, I think book 3?, was pretty grim. I personally hated the Mordsith or whatever those b##@#%s were!
Old 02-23-2001, 05:41 PM   #32
Epona
Zartan

I read a lot of Feist's books a good few years ago - great stuff.
I don't have much time for reading right now (I work full time and study too), but if you were going to recommend just one fantasy type book for me to read, what would it be?

I hope that you don't get too much snow - that's one thing we are lucky with in England, we don't usually get much snow, at least in the South where I live (but we have had a lot of floods the last 2 years).
Old 02-23-2001, 05:58 PM   #33
Ladyzekke

Epona - My personal favorite is C.S. Friedman. She has a few singles and one 3-book series. All are excellent. Luckily I stayed home today and I am soooo glad, as there are many traffic accidents out there right now because of the snow. One is a 20 car pileup and another (which is the road I would have taken) has a 116 car pile up! These poor people are going to be stuck until late in the night before they can finally get home. Whew! Close call! BTW - nice to meet you!
Old 02-23-2001, 06:03 PM   #34
Epona
Zartan

Thanks LadyZekke, I will look out for her books when I am shopping next.
The pile-ups sound really bad - I hope no-one was hurt. It is not nice to be stranded somewhere in the cold.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:32 PM   #35
Ladyzekke

Epona - Keep in mind that C.S. Friedman is a bit on the dark side. What I mean is she usually creates characters that are evil, but have reasons for being evil, and she has a way of writing that makes you care for them. Basically, because of this the books contain a lot of killing. But by the end of the books, things work out in a good way. So it depends on your tastes. I still think she writes brilliantly and I am anxiously awaiting her new one, which I can't find in bookstores, but have seen for sale on the internet. So it must be out, just a matter of time I guess for it to hit the shelves. Also, Moiraine suggested Robin Hobbs to me and they sounded interesting (ships that are alive and communicate with humans).
Yes, I know what you mean, and I do feel sorry for those hundreds of people right this minute sitting in their cars unable to go home because all of the wreckage. They said there was one fatality and the highway will be closed for at least eight hours. Luckily though, they do have the Red Cross out there helping all the people.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:41 PM   #36
Epona
Zartan

I think it's a bit of a skill for a writer to have - to be able to characterise evil people or distasteful acts in a way that will get the reader to empathise with the characters and understand their motives. I read plenty of horror so I am unlikely to be freaked out by it.
I have made a note of Hobbs also, that sounds like an interesting concept.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:57 PM   #37
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I'm on an Anne Rice binge right now, finished Pandora (a brilliant book) and currently reading the Vampire Lestat which I haven't read yet believe it or not. So after that I want to read Queen of the Damned, then the Vampire Armand, then get stuck into the Goodkind series.

BTW you didn't tell me that Soul of the Fire was an autographed numbered copy!! Must've been expensive. Do you want me to mail it back when i'm done?
Old 02-23-2001, 07:07 PM   #38
Ladyzekke

Epona - oh good. Then you'll love C.S. Friendman for sure!

Memnoch - Can't believe you haven't read the Vampire Lestat yet! Random reader are you? And OOOOO, you are in for a ride with Queen of the Damned! And no, please don't send the Terry Goodkind book back because I really only bought it because I had just finished the book before that and was very anxious to read the next one and that is all the bookstore had. Funny, it was on the shelf I didn't know it was autographed! Anyway, I go through so many books and I do not have a bookshelf nor enough room and I only buy them to read, not to collect. So please, keep it my friend.
Old 02-23-2001, 07:24 PM   #39
Stealth Bomber

Oh dear, I feel a trip to the bookstore coming. Another writer I like is Stephen Donaldson. I love the White Gold wielder trilogies. Not many fantasy books cast a child-molesting, incestuous leper as a hero. The wierd thing is you actually feel for him. Takes a very good writer to achieve that. Also his mythos is unusual and believable.

Old 02-23-2001, 08:15 PM   #40
Ladyzekke

Stealth - I don't know! Child molesting? That's a pretty big stretch! The lovable incestuous pervert? Please, give C.S. Friedman a try (especially the Coldfire Trilogy).