Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 09:39 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

For various reasons I’ve been giving some thought to the problem of cancer recently. I seem to hear about it more and more these days.

In particular I think we are going about fighting cancer in the wrong way. Billions of Pounds are spent on cancer research. I believe that this money is being wasted. Instead of looking for a cure we should fight cancer by surgery.

Cancer is insidious, it can lie dormant for years within you, and then all of a sudden it attacks you. Even when you think you’ve got rid of all of it will spread and reappear in a totally different and unexpected place. For every one cancerous cell you destroy two will be created.

Let’s forget about chemotherapy and radiotherapy, the only way to get rid of the cancer is to cut it out. Cut it out wherever we find it. And if you get metastases. Cut it out there too. And if normal cells are destroyed by the surgery that’s just tough. These things happen in the war on cancer.

Why do we need to know the root causes of cancer? I for one don’t give a shit about why it happens! I don’t want my tax money being spent on education about cancer prevention or on research into treatment. Cancer kills millions – that’s all I need to know. I just want to get rid of it because there is too much of it about for my liking.

I’m just a Black and White kind of guy. There is no grey, there is only one way – and it’s my way or the highway!

[ 12-02-2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #2
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well put. You have a knack for presenting a well thought out arguement.

I disagree vehemently, but hey, that's life.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 12-02-2002, 09:49 AM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Subtitles and only the hint of a fishing rod. Are you mellowing?

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 12-02-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Nice post Donut
Old 12-02-2002, 09:52 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Subtitles and only the hint of a fishing rod. Are you mellowing?
No fishing rod. I'm just depressed about recent news. It can't be won.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-02-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
WillowIX
Apophis

Well surgery is a standard practise sometimes when dealing with cancers Donut. BUT surgery alone DO NOT cure cancer! Picture yourself a scalpell, the blade is fully visible to a human eye (thickness in mm) but a cell is about 7-20 micrometers! It is not possible to fully remove a cancerous growth with suregery. That´s why chemotherapy and radiotherapy is a more efficient treatment. Even burning with laser is too imprecise. If all cancer patients were treated with surgery alone a mere minimum of the patients would be cured since cancerous cells would remain in the body. That´s why research still is needed. If we can understand how, almost there, and why cancers appear we might find a safer and better way to treat it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL,*tongue firmly in cheek* Donut, I can tell you that there are a lot of surgeons that disagree with you. For example, chemotherapy and radiation are often necessary to precede successful surgery, sometimes they can take its place or be an alternative method(s). Sometimes, however, surgery is the only way to deal with a problem, and honest oncologists and radiologists will be the first to tell you that their methodologies are helpless in the presence of severe, life threatening malignancies. We call these "9-11" malignancies, dunno why.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Well surgery is a standard practise sometimes when dealing with cancers Donut. BUT surgery alone DO NOT cure cancer! Picture yourself a scalpell, the blade is fully visible to a human eye (thickness in mm) but a cell is about 7-20 micrometers! It is not possible to fully remove a cancerous growth with suregery. That´s why chemotherapy and radiotherapy is a more efficient treatment. Even burning with laser is too imprecise. If all cancer patients were treated with surgery alone a mere minimum of the patients would be cured since cancerous cells would remain in the body. That´s why research still is needed. If we can understand how, almost there, and why cancers appear we might find a safer and better way to treat it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Thank you Willow. So what you are saying is that as well as treating different types of cancers differently we will not win the war on cancer unless we eventually address the root causes. Even though this may be unpalatable to some?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:08 AM   #9
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Not sure if I should really reply in here. Yes, the topic caught my eye because of a family member having brain cancer, but I won't argue about treatments.

So, Doctor Donut, what is your prognosis on someone who has Grade IV Anaplastic Glioblastoma, has had two different surgeries, 9 months of radiation treatment, and 3 months of Chemotherapy?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:12 AM   #10
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Thank you Willow. So what you are saying is that as well as treating different types of cancers differently we will not win the war on cancer unless we eventually address the root causes. Even though this may be unpalatable to some?
Yes, at least IMO. We do not know enough of cancer yet. For instance two patients arrive with colon cancer (colon cancer is fairly stable in its mutations so it makes a good example here). Both patients are males and receive the same treatment. Only one survives. Why? We don´t know. If we had the knowledge of how and why cancers appear we might be able to cure all patients. I´ll continue with colon cancer. The 1st mutation is üsually in a gene called APC. Now why does that gene mutate? If we knew that maybe we would be able to prevent it. Thus we would be able to cure colon cancers before the cancer appears. I agree that we´re spending the money unwisely. It´s not us doctors that decide what to research nor is it cancer experts. Unfortunately this leads to fractioned research although there are some very interesting research being done. Hopefully treatment will improve and fatalities decrease. But we´ll have to wait for the cure. The most efficient treatment today is as Attalus said a mixture of suregery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy to get rid of all mutated cells [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-02-2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]