Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2002, 10:08 AM   #1
jsteng
Dungeon Master

ARRGGG...

My two Bishops are sooo DUMB! Level 9, INT 88, PIE 88.
almost 50% of the time, their spells fizzles out or backfires!

Whats the controlling factor for 100% Spell casting? 100 INT and 100 PIE? or 100% as well the Alchemy, Mage, Priest and Psionic spell levels?

I hate to keep on restarting for 90 minutes a hard fight trying to rely on those two bishops to deliver the freakin spells!!!!
jsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Check out that you NOT USE the power of the spell that is RED circle on your power scale use a little lower (they in green circle) then your spell caster`s will be better alvais in the spell you use most!
Build up your "Piety and Intelligence" ASAP dont care obout they other skills by now! And like Priest alvais build up "Divine" first (Your priest primary skill) then when that is maxed out bigin with the others!
Same with the Mage build up "Wizardry skill" before somthing else and give a damn on there "fighting skills so as mace, staff or somthing they ARE spell Casters not fighters.

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Megabot ]

Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Throg
Dungeon Master

You may be trying to cast spells at too great a power. Look at the circles which allow you to select a power level. If you stick to the levels where the circles are green, your spells should always be cast. If you pick a higher level where the circles is red, you'll usually fizzle or backfire.
Old 01-26-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

I usually pick a yellow circle. It will sometimes fizzle or backfire but usually works and builds skill faster than green. I only use the max (red) circles when I can afford for the spell to fizzle and can absorb the damage from a backfire. Red circles build skill the fastest. I think all of the bigger spells need to be used several times before they are safe, regardless of your stats.
Old 01-26-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
chimera99
The Magister

Int and Pie only work indirectly. Your points in the school determine what lvl spell you can learn. However, just because you can learn it doesn't maen you can cast it. Your points in the realm determine what lvl you can cast at. Also note that it is easier to cast orange or red OUT of battle than it is in battle. Be conservitive in battle and don't try anything beyond light green and you won't have any backfires, which can be a real bummer.
chimera99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:37 PM   #6
jsteng
Dungeon Master

I have all melee characters (Myles, Vi and 2 Figthers) carry pots of Cherry bombs, Fire Styx and Flash Dusts bags. I was in the swamp facing a bad pack of 5 Mauligators and 4 Ironhides. My strategy was to cast at range Cherry Bombs, Fire Styx and Flash in hopes to do big time damage at a far and blind them in the process. One of the Bishops would cast WEB infront and the other Fireballs the pack. If any crocs got entangled, I would move in for the kill. repeat.

Jack in the Box dont work against those crocs... So I have my gadgeteer throw fire styxs as well; only the ranger kept on shooting bolts from his double-crossbow.

For freakin 3 HOURS I kept on doing this until I read your replies....

Gameplay in Wizardry is totally different compared to BG.

Now that I got Spell Casting to work, what about pots, bags and sticks? Sometimes, those throwables backfire as well. I remember several times Vi would apologize to the group for hurtling back Cherry bombs at the party..
Old 01-27-2002, 12:24 AM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

~~jsteng~~

using pots and powders by your melee girls is a great skill! you need to put points into the "throwing" to get them started.

it helps if you also give them a sling and stones because that will help build the skill up when you don't have pots or powders.

dexterity helps there, also. but it's not worth it to put points into that unless you're a rogue, or samurai (who really need dex). [img]smile.gif[/img]

and, yes, if they have low throwing skills, BE CAREFUL! especially if you give them a bag of Pandemonium Powder (level 6).... because THAT hurts when it backfires! i know it for a fact. LOL! i just had one of my girls backfire 2 times with Pandemonium Powder! it made 2 peeps insane, 1 terrorized, 1 afraid and the other sick. talk about a fabulous disabling spell. i decided at that moment that i WANTED that spell/powder to use against the baddies ASAP!!

i have had the powders backfire far more often than just fizzle. my best thrower currently is my rogue, who has a skill level of 32 in throwing. she still backfires, but not too much. however, most everyone else is like 8-16 in level and they regularly backfire.

oh yeah, another thing! throwing pots and powders is the only other skill you can give a char that is using a cursed weapon, so it's a very very valuable skill. totally worth all the trouble!

so just give em a sling and some bags and practice practice practice!

V***V
Old 01-27-2002, 12:38 AM   #8
jsteng
Dungeon Master

LOL.... I forgot that "Throwing something" is a "Throwing Skill".

And yes, throwing works with cursed items. Thats the reason why I have Myles throw pots coz he has two cursed Poison Daggers on him. I should have known this way earlier in Arnika.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: jsteng ]