Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
Envy
Dungeon Master

Hi Everyone,

According to your opinion,

What are the must have spells for a F/Mage from first level to the last..?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

That list will be quite large. Unfortunately, I have never played F/M, and can't tell you the specifics. Pureclass spellcaster is my favorite.

Generally I would suggest having all sorts of combat protections (Stoneskins, PfMW, Mirror Image ... ), some Breaches, a Tenser's Transformation, Death Spell, MMM ...

Its most fun to try out diff. spell/combat tactics combos and learn those which work best. As long as you have ToB you can erase the scribed spells, so do not be afraid to fill all your spellbook.

Experiment yourself. There is no fun to play by a guide [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just my IMHO tho....
Old 05-22-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
Envy
Dungeon Master

I know well about the fun I had, playing without a guide but how can i say...
just curious about other players spell choices..(F/Mages of course)..

Thanks for your comment TaSSaDaR, by the way..
Old 05-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Just add Mislead to the list, Spell Imunity/Shield, Time Stop+Shapechange, Flame Arrow+Emotion, Greater Malison, Slow, Hase/Improved Haste, Globe Of Invulnerability...

In fact it all depends on the way you plan to use to deliver damage. If its melee, then go for all bufs and breach (Time Stop is a must here also [img]smile.gif[/img] ). If its magic, then why multiclass??
Old 05-22-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah... having a spell list for a Fighter/Mage is a moot point, because you can have any spell. What is more important though... is knowing what each spell can do.

The moral of the story is... go forth and learn.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:45 AM   #6
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Why does not BG keep a statistics list for all spells (percentage of usage... kills from total kills the char did) rather than that poor 'fav spell'?

The spellist he wanted, Dundee, IMO, is a list of spells he surely needs, an optimal minimum that makes F/M playable.... The spells that should end up in his book not erased at the end [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-22-2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: TaSSaDaR ]
Old 05-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Even then, it is still highly subjective. For example, Alson swears by Teleport Field, but I merely find it an annoying spell to use. I delight in using Emotion, Alson finds it a liability.

The point I am trying to make is... different people, different strokes.

This is a Fighter/Mage we are talking about here. Not a Fighter/Sorcerer. You will not be penalised permanently for choosing a spell wrongly.

Experiment! See what spells you like, find out what works best for you. This is the best way to discover your efficient spells.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Yeah, experimenting in char development is the one thing that makes RPGs fun [img]smile.gif[/img]

And for mages the mistake is not critical at all, cuz you may erase the non-needed spell and scribe an another one.

I remember sitting for half an hour choosing one perk over another in Fallout II.. what a wonderful time I had there!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:11 PM   #9
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

You definately want stoneskin.

I also find it frustrating to be without Breach. You could take pierce shield too though.

I would also advise you to go for mirror image.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #10
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

OK, Envy - just a straight answer - you WANT these spells:

LVL 1 - Magic Missile, Prot. From Petrification, Friends,Spook
LVL 2 - Blur, Mirror Image, Resist Fear, Web, Detect Invisibility, Glitterdust (rules on lower levels !), Knock (are you solo ?)
LVL 3 - Ghost armor, Fire Arrow, Haste, Melf's Minute Meteors, Remove or Dispel Magic, Skull Trap, Slow
LVL 4 - Emotion, Greater Malison, Minor Sequencer, Stoneskin, Spirit Armor (!)
LVL 5 - Animate Dead, Breach, Feeblemind, Lower Resistance, Spell Immunity, Sunfire, Spell Shield (if you fight beholders without cheese)
LVL 6 - Contingency, Death Spell, Improved Haste, Mislead (99% game over for enemies - boring), Prot. from Magic Energy, Prot. from Magical Weapons, True Sight
LVL 7 - Khelben's Warding Whip, Mordekainen Sword, Prot. From the Elements, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Spell Sequencer
LVL 8 - Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Incendiary Cloud, Pierce Shield, Prot. from Energy, Simulacrum, Spell Trigger
LVL 9 - Chain Contingency, Shapechange, Spellstrike, Spell Trap, Time Stop