Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
erkilajjnen
Welcomed New User

Ok so there are some things im wondering:

1. When you make your character in the beginning of the game you can choose a main enemy, what is this? Does the choice make any difference?

2. In chapter two or three you meet a paladin in the graveyard and he tells you about his dead child. In your journal you get a text telling you this. I have not been able to do anything about it. What can you do about it?

3. Im on throne of bhaal now and my paladin still sucks at turning undead, how come?

4. Which is the coolest stronghold quest?

ciao

//eric
erkilajjnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:38 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

1. Only rangers get to choose this, and what you choose is our racial enemy. When fighting that creature, you get good battle bonuses, which I can't remember at the moment.

2. HINT: Go down to the southeast corner of the graveyard.

3. Turn Undead is one of the abilities that takes a long time/high levek before they start being real effective. And even when you are a very high level, it isn't really that spectacular either.

4. Hmm. I like the Fighter stronghold best, but that's just my opinion. You get much XP there, it includes many sub-quests, you get to command your own keep/castle, etc.

Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

1: The favoured enemy is a specific Ranger ability. It has no effect on the storyline, but it does give you some hefty combat bonuses against the chosen creature type. I dunno, but personally I find it a little evil to choose a natural creature. It is usually smart to choose a creature type that appears often throughout the game and poses a threat. So golems or fell(demonic) are good choices.
They are also the least morally dubious.

2: After speaking to the paladin a cleric and an orphan girl will appear in the southeast portion of the graveyard. By speaking to them and then the paladin (choosing the appropriate dialogues) you can get the paladin to adopt the orphan.

3: Because the undead in ToB are some nasty mofuggers!

4: Thief stronghold has a lot of character and interaction. Ranger stronghold is a real feel-gooder. Mage stronghold looks cool and is one of the few who rewards you for being evil. (It does also reward you for being good in a lesser degree). Fighter stronghold is impressive. A great damn castle! But the quests suck.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Tough or not, the Undead will still suffer greatly from Turn Undead. A Paladin with level 20 Turn Undead will pretty much explode any Undead just by staring at them, even the ToB Liches.

The only crucial thing about Turn Undead is that,

1) You must not interrupt it.
2) It has a radius of 15'

ADD] Personally, I find the Bard's Stronghold the most entertaining.

[ 03-19-2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

About turning undead: If you're playing a good-aligned paladin,, they turn undead three levels lower than a cleric of the same level would.

Let's say you have a level 20 cleric and a level 20 paladin in your party, both trying to use turn undead on a lich. The cleric has a chance of blowing the lich to kingdom come, since the cleric's turn undead ability is the same level as he/she is, 20. The paladin, on the other hand, turns undead at three levels lower than the cleric, even though they're the same level. So the paladin turns undead at level 17, even though he/she's 20. The paladin needs to be level 23 before he/she can start exploding liches.

(Note that this is just for blowing up undead. A level 20 paladin can still cause undead to flee, and fleeing undead can't cast spells. )

Coolest stronghold quest: This is all about personal preference.

(STRONGHOLD SPOILERS AHEAD)
(Arr, me hearties, plunder the riches!)
FIGHTER/MONK/BARBARIAN
Stronghold: de'Arnise Keep
Recieved: completed the quest for Nalia
What to do: solve the problems that the Keep has. Messengers will come and tell you what's what, and do a good job solving the problems to get experience and keep your stronghold.
What this stronghold does for you: Extra source of income.
Downsides: There's a chance to get lots of gold and experience, but only if your PC is a fighter/monk/barbarian OR if Nalia's in your party

THIEF
Stronghold: Mae'Var's old guildhouse
Recieved: finished Renal Bloodscalp's quest
What to do: Run the guild and keep the thieves in your employ out of trouble and making (stealing) money to pay the Shadow Thieves.
What this stronghold does for you: Extra source of income.
Downsides: Easy stronghold to get and keep. There's a mod out there that improves the difficulty of obtaining and holding onto this stronghold.

MAGE/SORCERER
Stronghold: Planar Sphere
Recieved: finished the quest
What to do: Don't kill off the Solamnic Knights, and you'll get the Planar Sphere as a home and your own apprentices to make magical items. Make sure they don't blow themselves up in the process.
What this stronghold does for you: Nice magical items.
Downsides: This stronghold is a pain in the butt to get. You need Valygar in your party or his dead body to open the Sphere to do the quest, and you need to be precise with everything you do, or you'll lose out on experience.

CLERIC
Stronghold: temple of Lathander (good alignment), temple of Helm (neutral alignment), temple of Talos (evil alignment)
Recieved: finished the Unseeing Eye quest
What to do: Prove yourself as a cleric of whichever temple you belong to by advising citizens on what to do according to your temple's beliefs.
What this stronghold does for you: Easy experience.
Downsides: Not really much to do, and not that hard to do either.

RANGER
Stronghold: Umar Hills ranger cabin
Recieved: finished Shade Lord quest
What to do: Protect the Umar Hills as its new ranger. Just don't ask for any money.
What this stronghold does for you: Good experience and a sweet little item.
Downsides: Over too soon.

PALADIN
Stronghold: Order of the Radiant Heart (They give you a room with no toilet. How nice.)
Recieved: Rescued Garren Windspear's kid
What to do: You're the new errand boy/girl for the Order, so get out there and do your job. By the way, don't deal with Firkraag until they tell you to!
What this stronghold does for you: Best paladin weapon EVER.
Downsides: Room with no toilet?!

BARD
Stronghold: Theater in the Five Flagons basement
Recieved: finished Planar Prison quest
What to do: Run the theater, make good decisions, enjoy the show!
What this stronghold does for you: Extra source of income, best experience.
Downsides: Longest stronghold quest, IMO. It'll take you the entire game to finish it, and depending on how you play, this can be a good thing or a bad thing.

DRUID
Stronghold: Druid Grove
Recieved: finished Trademeet quest AND level 14 (can't get the grove before level 14)
What to do: Listen to the spirit of the Grove and do what it tells you to do
What this stronghold does for you: Good experience and a nice item.
Downsides: Short, not much gold to be had.

The best one, IMO, is the bard stronghold. Might have something to do with a theater minor, but this quest spans the entire game, gives the party heaps of experience (a quick way to get late-game low-level characters up to snuff with the rest of the party, for example), makes money for the party (only half the strongholds do that), and the theater is fun to watch and makes me laugh. What more could you ask for?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

LOL @ your sig, Pirengle! That's a nice summary you got there by the way. Makes me want to play all the different classes [img]smile.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Off-Topic for a bit, but in regards to the signature, isn't it spelt "Grammar"?
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Off-Topic for a bit, but in regards to the signature, isn't it spelt "Grammar"?
Part of the joke, Dundee. Probably going to change it, seeing how nobody's really getting it...
Old 03-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #9
super_smasher3
Dungeon Master

LOL Pirengle. I think you'd better change it. It probably just makes most people think you don't know what you're talking about.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever belives in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
super_smasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 11:31 PM   #10
Draigo

I think that that is a great post. I didn't know that there were so many quests out there, probably because I've only played a small variety of classes.
Thank you for the info, guess I'm going to have to start some new games with some new classes.