Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2002, 03:17 PM   #81
Kaltia
Jack Burton

"Poorer british cousins?" *baffled*
Wait a sec, there is some truth about that...pilgrims from Europe settled America and Australia, right? Obviously there are the Native Americans (And the Aboriginals) but it was mostly Europeans. I have to say this is a bit rich coming from a girl who didn't even know Canada was in the common wealth until today
Old 10-29-2002, 03:18 PM   #82
Lord Shield

well, if you also consider that Americans are descendeed from Europeans, it's much the same

Unfortunately, whoever may be the cause, the 9/11 has createdd what seems to be a psychological bridge between US and others

and the daft thing is, ,Osama has been attacking other countries too, as was pointed out

Old 10-29-2002, 03:18 PM   #83
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Anyone that watches the news will see that people hate America.
Only thing I hate about America is DAMN MICROSOFT! Grrrrr......*as her system crashes again* the @$$holes will pay for this.[/QUOTE]I am not aware of any Americans who like Bill Gates. Unless they work for him. $$$$
Old 10-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #84
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I usually get bothered when anyone makes a blanket statement about any race or nationality because I believe you can find exceptions in every case. I doubt this thread was started to be an anti-European or anti-American thread.

Let's try and keep that in mind and not go too far afield with the 'who hates whom more' stuff, ok?

(waves to Nachty- don't off-topic the thread dear, I'll check the Cafe for es ).

Adam, no worries. I understood your frustrations. I've felt the same way back in Sept last year when the threads just seemed so anti-anything American sometimes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #85
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

That was a great post Timber [img]smile.gif[/img]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-29-2002, 03:24 PM   #86
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
Anyone that watches the news will see that people hate America.
Only thing I hate about America is DAMN MICROSOFT! Grrrrr......*as her system crashes again* the @$$holes will pay for this.[/QUOTE]I am not aware of any Americans who like Bill Gates. Unless they work for him. $$$$[/QUOTE]Erm...well, I think he's kinda sexy...in a geeky sort of way. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img]

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 10-29-2002, 03:28 PM   #87
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Cloudy, where are my free plane tickets to the US???? *bursts into tears then realises she's whining at THE Cloudbringer*
[img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2002, 03:30 PM   #88
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Cloudy, where are my free plane tickets to the US???? *bursts into tears then realises she's whining at THE Cloudbringer*
Probably with my deluxe-all expenses paid trip to Europe and Asia vouchers!
Old 10-29-2002, 03:32 PM   #89
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
quote:
Probably with my deluxe-all expenses paid trip to Europe and Asia vouchers! [/QUOTE]Cooo! *best gaelan Bayle impression* the guy has a terrible Cockney salesman voice, i tell you....there was no knives, mobile phone, caots, shifty eyes and "sending the boys round!"
Old 10-29-2002, 04:28 PM   #90
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Possibly because the US brings it on themselves? The attitude of most americans I've encountered has been amazingly annoying. This is achieved by being arrogant, nationalistic and close-minded. I'm not saying that's how it is for all, but in fact the majority that I've met and debated with online. So perhaps there's a reason for the dislike?

I am not saying you are wrong, but I really believe that everything you just said about Americans applys equally to Europeans [img]smile.gif[/img] It goes back and forth a lot.

As for nationalism, I think Europeans need to understand that when Americans get nationalistic we stomp our feet, raise our fists (shoot our guns) but do not go on campaigns of global empire, unlike what nationalism in the European environment has lead to in the past. They are different issues for the US and Europe.

To be technically accurate, you can't even legitimately call being patriotic in the US nationalism. In the early to mid 1900's Hans Kohn a German Historian set out to define Nationalism. While he did not include Asian societies in his theories he has been said to have defined nationalism in the 20th century. He laid out 4 basic principles of Nationalism.

1. A nation must have well defined geographic boundries. ie. mountains, rivers, oceans, deserts etc.

2. Everyone living in the Nation must pratice the same religion or similar religions. (I think he set it up so that it was the majority not a universal constant) ie. Christian, Jewish, Bhudist, Islam etc...

3. Must have one accepted Language.

4. The nations people must have experienced the same historical experiences.

The US doesnt quite fit on any of these. We don't even have a declared national language.

So I think it can be argued that what americans have is arguably something other than "nationalism" [img]smile.gif[/img]