Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Arab Leaders May Push for Saddam Exile
Arab Leaders Contemplating Offering Iraqi President Saddam Hussein Exile to Avoid War

The Associated Press

AMMAN, Jordan Dec. 29 —
Arab leaders looking for a way to avoid a U.S.-Iraq war they fear would ignite their volatile region are considering the possibility of pressing Iraqi President Saddam Hussein to step down and go into exile, diplomats say.

But the diplomats say the idea has not yet coalesced, and it would be useless to make such an offer until Saddam believes he has no other no option.

"There is a strong feeling that the United States is after Saddam and not after weapons of mass destruction and therefore efforts should focus on how to persuade Saddam to leave," one Arab diplomat said on condition of anonymity.

For the rest of the story: http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20021229_1173.html

If this happens, what next?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 07:20 PM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Like it says in the article:

"Saddam is keeping the last bullet in his gun for himself,"

I think exile for Saddam will never happen. Hiding in exile maybe but i don't think there is any place on earth he could hide or would hide.

Saddam will end up dead or in a prison cell next to Norieaga. More than likely on the dead side.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 08:55 AM   #3
MagiK

I think the issue is bigger than Saddam.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:15 PM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

I guess I'm a little confused. I do know the WoMD are a main point in Iraq, but I also thought that Mr. Bush wanted Saddam to be gone. That's why I wondered what would happen if he was gone- as in exiled. It is true if the weapons are there, any nut in power could use them, but if they can't be found by inspectors, will the military have better luck destroying the weapons?

I think this is not going to be easy, no matter what happens.

Mark
Old 12-31-2002, 01:21 PM   #5
MagiK

I am not sure I have ever heard that Saddam Hussein him self were the primary target for the war on terrorism. I do know that "administration officials" would like to see him gone, and since he has been the one ordering the things in Iraq that he can't be allowed to remain in power. The war on terrorism and the war in Iraq are much more than just two men, Saddam and Bin Ladden.....you don't need to send in a quarter of a million men just to take out one guy.

I do agree with you about the war on terrorism not being easy. Im not sure that the war with Iraq will be too awful difficult however.

[ 12-31-2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 12-31-2002, 01:27 PM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

The difficulty I was driving at is making sure Iraq is clean of the WoMD. I'm not sure how clearly connected the War on Terror and the War Against Iraq are. There certainly is a correlation between the two, but I think Iraq may be a special case. There appears to be more beneath the surface concerning Iraq.

Mark
Old 12-31-2002, 05:56 PM   #7
MagiK

From what I have been hearing/reading there is a monster sized area in the middle northern mountains that Saddam has turned into a massive underground weapons sight. To date no one has been allowed to check this area out, since he has labeled this as one of his 136 presidential palaces. If the inspectors (such as they are) don't get to all of the sites, they may as well not even bother doing any of the sites. Right now there are too few inspectors and too much notice givien before the inspections for them to be effective.