Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 07:12 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

Three shot in EU summit riots
June 15, 2001 Posted: 6:43 PM EDT (2243 GMT)

Demonstrators throw rocks and set barricades ablaze in Gothenburg on Friday

GOTHENBURG, Sweden -- Three people have been shot as anti-EU protesters battled riot police near the EU summit in Gothenburg.

CNN's Peter Humi said police had confirmed officers had opened fire on protesters after they said a police officer had been badly injured in the head from an object thrown by anti-globalization demonstrators.

The incident came at the end of the first day of the European Union summit in the Swedish city.

Police have made more than 100 arrests and more than 30 people, including around 12 police officers, were injured as police skirmished with protesting groups in an effort to keep them away from the convention center where 15 EU leaders were meeting.

Plumes of smoke rose over the fashionable Kungsports Avenyn as masked anarchists methodically vandalized shop windows, piled tables and chairs from sidewalk cafes into makeshift barricades and set them ablaze. Some stores were
looted.

Protesters hurled paving-stones and firecrackers at police, who responded with baton charges. Some mounted police were dragged from their horses.

At times the protesters were less than one kilometre from the site of the summit, but other than forcing the cancellation of a dinner in a posh Gothenburg site, the summit has been largely unaffected by the violence and the protests.

As many as 12,000 protesters have staged demonstrations throughout the streets in the port city, while as many as 2,000 extra police were brought in for the two-day summit and for the visit of U.S. President George W. Bush.

Swedish Justice Minister Thomas Bodstrom said at least two of the people who had been shot were anti-capitalist protesters.

Bodstrom denied police had lost control but said the violence by hundreds of anarchists was the most difficult challenge Sweden's security forces had ever faced.

"Many of the rioters came from other countries with the intention of disrupting the summit," he said.

Barricaded in a heavily guarded conference center, the 15 EU leaders condemned the anti-capitalist riots, which have dogged international gatherings since the 1999 World Trade Organization conference in Seattle.

Five summit delegations were forced to move out of a central hotel because police said they could not guarantee their safety.

The mayhem overshadowed the day's EU business, which centred on the bloc's ambitious plans to admit up to 12 ex-communist and Mediterranean countries over the next few years.

Sweden's state-run radio broadcast an urgent warning on Friday night for residents to stay out of the centre of the city because of the violent riots, Reuters reported.

In a park near Goteborg University, rioters smashed the windows of police vans and hurled rocks, cans and other debris at helmeted police, some mounted on horses.

Police appeared to be barricading the area surrounding the clash.

The clashes were believed to be sparked by a small minority of the estimated 25,000 protesters who converged on the city for the summit.

Earlier on Friday, as the rioters sparred with police on the streets outside, inside the conference centre, Irish prime minister Bertie Ahern appealed for more time for his country to refelect on its vote in a referendum last week rejecting Europe's eastward expansion.

Ahern said that while his country remained committed to further European expansion, it was too early to say when he would be able to put the issue before his compatriots again for a second vote, the Associated Press reported.

On Thursday, clashes broke out when protesters confronted police who had sealed off a school on suspicions that violence-inclined demonstrators were using it as a refuge.

.Wolfie is in the thick of things there... I can only hope he will remain safe and that there will be an end to the violence very soon. My prayers are with you, friend.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.
The Upanishads
Old 06-15-2001, 07:22 PM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The two shot are at a hospital here, the most serious is a frenchman, shot in the chest and the stomache, the other one is shot in the leg and his nationality isn´t published yet..

The whole city is turned upside down.. Alot of rockthrowing and skirmishes with the police and activists, and mostly violent assholes that has no other intention then to fight! Sorry Ziroc, but if you were here you would know that this is the mildest of all words I have said today!

I walked throw the city here at both 6 o´clock from work and could hardly get home, I had to go and buy a lightbulb since I only have two lamps in my apartment.. and couldn´t cause the bastards had trashed all the stores.. And now at eleven and Twelve, shots had been fired and rock dodging!

I´m so angry I wish the police could lend me a riot gear anf I would go out having my own demonstration! GRRRRR

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Old 06-15-2001, 07:33 PM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

He has sense. He will be careful, Charean. Try not to worry.

But, gosh, this demonstration is such a difficult thing. Apart from the troublemakers - who ALWAYS take advantage of the opportunity - the demonstrators were trying to make the govenmental authorities LISTEN to them. Govenments seem to be governing and making agreements completely without taking the views of citizens into consideration. It is all back to Big Business again. SOMETIMES the nasty side of me just wants to napalm the lot of 'em! [However, it would only cause more problems!]
I am in favour of peaceful demo's. I wish the whole world would stage a peaceful demo or two to make governments start thinking about their electorate instead of their blasted financial interests!

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 07:38 PM   #4
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
I´m so angry I wish the police could lend me a riot gear anf I would go out having my own demonstration! GRRRRR

Don't even THINK it Wolfgir! There are too many dangerous people involved. I just HATE it when a peaceful demo is totally &&&&&&-up by what is no better than a criminal element. You keep yourself SAFE!

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 07:45 PM   #5
WOLFGIR

Trouble is that most people don´t give a damn! They have voted already! We had, we like what we get, we have a really good insight in our politicians here and Sweden tried to open up all EU policies since all Swedish peoples has a right to insight in politic decisions here!

There is three persons that has been shot, the third one I have no info on. Only thing I can tell from what I have seen since I wasn´t far away is that they had it comming..

Most things have quiet down now, but I still hear helicopters around here and there are still groups wandering about, and a hundred meters or so from my apartmant building there are about forty police vehicles and alot of barricades..

Man, if this is how the non-violence activists are demonstrating, I´m going abroad when the men whithout hair and nazithinking is going to have their next demonstration...

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 08:18 PM   #6
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

Man, if this is how the non-violence activists are demonstrating, I´m going abroad when the men whithout hair and nazithinking is going to have their next demonstration...

Trouble is, Wolfgir, that non-violent demo's ALWAYS get taken over by violent people and the non-violent ones get tarred with the same brush. Which is why I will never go on a demo, no matter HOW strongly I feel about something. I would be scared silly if I was near anything like that. I hope you don't have to go to work, or shopping tomorrow. Stay indoors if you can. And take care of yourself!

------------------

Old 06-15-2001, 08:31 PM   #7
WOLFGIR

I have been to work yesterday and today, not tomorow, and I have been through the city and doged rocks as it is. I have seen them storm the police, I have seen people run frighten around like crazy trying to find a place out of the barricades, seen horses run into the gathering of thoose assholes while the peaceful ones uns around not knowing what to do.. I have seen people standing merely a foot or two away from me splurting blood all over the place.

All this and some people runs around screaming crush EU, **** Eu and so on, scraming how they will kill the facists and the police who is so brutal.. Most in Gothenburg wants the police to show them just that brutality I can tell you!

If they trained alittle they would make it all easier. Take Gandhi, he knew that horses don´t run into crowds with people lying or sitting down. That would also make the violent ones visible and get them taken alot quicker by the police! That way the order could be regained and the demonstration could continue on quicker...

Bad apples... Twi!

------------------

Old 06-16-2001, 04:16 PM   #8
WOLFGIR

Well, have to post this, since some of the media coverage from yesterday were rather poor.
The young man shot was only hit by one bullet and in the stomache only. He is a 20 year old Swede who repetedly throwed eocks at the police that tried to protect a fallen comrade. The earlier news that it was a frenchman that was shot has been canceled.

Though most people that has been arrested are foreigners, mainly Danes, Germas and some Dutch people too.

Sweden will also probably change the law that ruled out the use of teargas and watercannon, even rubberbullets have come up to discussion.. So to all autonom activists out there.. Congratulations to your voilent behaviour against fascism and capitalism.. You have just turned up the heat on yourself. ANd you are the ones regarded as a threat to democracy and are the most closely connected to fascism or whatever you may call yourself..

Sorry about the anger in this post, but you destroyed a perfect opportunity to get some good attention of the more peaceful demostraters that had gathered here and made truth of their peaceful protests..

Wolfie from a city in turmoil and a country that had alot of broken dreeams..

------------------