Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2001, 03:02 PM   #1
Lily the Ranger

After seeing the same monsters with different coloring in many places and running into "you" again . . . I got to thinking what is it I would like to see in a foe?

1. For a starter, I would like to be propositioned by some foes whose gender is male . . . I am beginning to experience an Identity Crisis. A blindly, charismatic male vampire in leather?
A merman? A male nymph, satyr? Seems many of these places are asexual . . . have heard someone enquire where are the toad babes? Research should begin immediately. I am not starting this to begin an inappropriate thread . . . I would have taken a boxer or briefs poll for that.

2. More insect life . . . perhaps, rather large ones.

3. I don't want to kill Oakenmuir or the Dragon . . . can't I have a large nasty thing that deserves to be killed and has lots of XP? Now the leprechaun, he is another story, but he just faded away. At the very least, I would like to have tarred and feathered him.

4. Perhaps, some killer bunnies or deer.

5. I dunno . . . having the to face the same shaped foe who has a different name and more hit points . . . gosh, how can I say this kindly . . . it is lame.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:11 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Lame indeed, Lily, but unfortunately, pretty much a hallmark of almost all CRPGs out there. Might & Magic took the lame way out of using the same basic format for the monster types and just coloring them differently (for which they received much flack in the Boards, if I remember rightly). Wizardry was much the same way as W&W, where there would be 8-9 different monster types all based on the same style and with the same sprites.

They also need more female NPC's in the game. It, unfortunately, is very gender-biased. I mean, ladies, who are your role models in the game? Elyssia? S'Keser Da? Come on! I don't think there's a single female guild master in the entire game. (They should fire Sabastio in Brimloch and hire a female wizard; one who's not quite so long-winded, if you know what I mean.)

Your suggestions are good, but I'd like to see fewer Bats. They have got to be, hands down, the most annoying and ubiquitous monsters in the game, and they spawn more frequently than any other opponent.

Great topic!
Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 03:19 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe some female rogues and female rattlings in those roaming bands of baddies would be good (like toadbabes, I guess)...
Some male vampires (who don't look like the lich) would have been good) ....
but as for NEW monsters....

I like the idea of some giant insects - giant butterflies!
Vorpal Rabbits - kewl
Sand Worms (giant)
Harpies, gryphons, tigers, and bears (oh my)
Golems and trolls
faeries (not all faeries are nice (or female))
Gnomes hehehe
Doors - yes doors - you go up to open the door and WHAM it attacks! (would make you think twice about doors from then on out!)

Gads, will have to give this some more thought because there have got to be tons and tons of possibilities!!

Wyv

waiting to hear what others will add!!!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 04:09 PM   #4
adam mage

dragonflys (small flying dragons)
griffens
2-headed wolves
evil witches/warlocks
birds of fire...
giant worms bursting from the ground...
smaller nagas (about human sized snakes with human heads)
dark elves
mermaids/mermen
cast from "Survivors"
Old 01-07-2001, 04:45 PM   #5
Moni

ROFL Adam! I almost spit soda out my nose when I read "the cast of survivor"! Excellent choice! Right behind them..."The Mole"!

How about moles? Shrews? They could be rabid (or not) & pop out of the ground or from behind bushes. Porcupines? lol!
Hey at least it is a variety of creatures!
A variety of snakes would be cool too, water moccasins for swamp areas, rattlesnakes for deserts. Green tree snakes for wooded areas & Anacondas for jungles.
Save the bats for the caves and get rid of the slime...it was cool in old games but, well, it's old! There has to be some new kind of cave creature out there...albino lizards?
WHOOSH! Another idea just went through my head and I could not catch it! I'll post later if I figure out what it was!
: )
Moni
Old 01-07-2001, 04:46 PM   #6
Erad

Black Dragons
Some forest wurms (biiiig snakes)
Djinis
Bill Gates
more flying thingies(vultures, ravens etc)
Giants(Goshin is a giant?DOH)
Krakens in the sea (more monsters in sea)
Shouldnt it be a part of "Wonderfull Wish List"?
Females(I agree with Sabastio kicked out )
Fallen Angels
Demons
Oomphaz looks stupid, doesnt it?
Cats, dogs
Wyverns (sorry Wyv )
Hydras
Sebastio going back home
My math teacher

and many more.If any1 have some M:TG cards, look at them and think (I dont have, sold them all, taking it back from memory)

Erad
Old 01-07-2001, 09:34 PM   #7
emilyh
Welcomed New User

Dragons, unicorns, pegasi, gargoyles, gryphons, a pheonix or two. I definately agree that a big bad monster to kill with lots of XP would be cool, like an evil dragon. Dryads as NPCs maybe. A bear or two in the forest, lions, or tigers, or some type of large cat. Other types of elementals besides fire. As far as cave creatures go, giant mushrooms, slimes (that are harder to beat), bears, wolves, etc. Could have bigger, meaner rats & roaches to kill.

Haven't been to the underwater city so I'm not sure all the underwater creatures there are, but maybe I'd throw in some dangerous plants like poisonous anemones and strangling seaweed. As far as fish-type creatures, I'd like to see giant squid, electric eels, jellyfish, seahorses, that sort of thing. The sea sharks could probably be a lot bigger and meaner.

There were a couple of monsters in Might and Magic that were really hard - giant hydras, which you had to shoot at from a distance to beat, and armadillos in the desert, same thing. You didn't want to get anywhere close to them. The only monsters of that type I have seen so far in this game are the jungle lilies. Then in the later games, you had the eyes, which really were maddening. They cost you all your spell points if they got a hit, you had to cure insanity and drink lots of potions to get the points back.
emilyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 09:53 PM   #8
Mammawlin

And just why do all those guys in the forest have to look exactly alike - and be so cute too!?? Bummer indeed! I want some ugly guys, fat, unshaven, nasty teeth, pimple faced, guys to kill. Even if they wore a ski mask it would be scarier than the cute ones, Know what I mean??? And the sharks are getting to be like "rusty swords" - too many of the same thing with the same results! Oh . . . let me hush, I still love this game anyways! But man what good ideas.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:55 PM   #9
gaunty
The Magister

walk out into a open field, you see some sheep and sheperd, then the sheep attack "you".

you see captin "kirk" and gang, and have to kill them before they beem you to death.

make sure that those female rogues are the black leather whip & chains type.

english mad cows, pigs and chickens.

If you are going to have more rogues, then you should put some live and living knights and hard bodied conan types.
gaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 12:08 AM   #10
Dwarf

And just for old times sake, Beholders, Illithids(that's Mind Flayers), and yes, replace Sebastio with a decent, to the point,helpfull NPC like Deckard Cain (or any other Sean Connery soundalikes, I know they tried it but Erathsmedor's accent definately went Recieved Pronounciation every few lines and had occassional hints of Scotish/ Schotish). No killer rabbits (a bit too Monty Python there), Barbarian raiders, Daft Invader (Darth Vader pun, had to use it), baby dragon hatchlings that aren't hostile but follow you around.If you manage to gather up a certain number and take them back, unharmed, to the mothers nest/ cave you'll get a special quest reward (not a given quest but a secret one that you only find out about after you've done it). A party of Neutral Good Goblin Pilgrims on their way to a holy shrine (those have really annoyed the "kill first, talk later" players in our group) and of course Nilbog's (look it up, Fiend Folio, AD&D 1st Ed). All damage done to a Nilbog is immediately reflected back onto the attacker (through armour etc) as is force(pushing etc).Can be killed by any healing spell.