Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2002, 04:43 PM   #1
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi, this was started on another thread, but it was off topic, so I have started this thread.
Is the human race doomed to oneday destroy itself? Your thoughts, please?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

*shrugs*

*I* won't be around to find out.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

It's quite possible. Even if we don't persay kill ourselves off, it's likely that there will be some sort of thing like what killed the dinosaurs off that will destroy the human race.

I don't think it's such a big deal, we're just one small planet in a universe of infinity.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #4
Horatio

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
It's quite possible. Even if we don't persay kill ourselves off, it's likely that there will be some sort of thing like what killed the dinosaurs off that will destroy the human race.

I don't think it's such a big deal, we're just one small planet in a universe of infinity.
Wow, you're pretty laid back, aren't ya?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
MagiK

I think Lioness is right, I don't think we will kill each other off, but at some point it is likely that some natural disaster will wipe out most life on the planet again and then things will start over. We may get lucky and find a way to move beyond this planet before that happens....or not. It is the way of things, nothing is permanent, and there is no need to worry about it because there is no way to avoid it.

Old 06-02-2002, 04:55 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:

It probably would be a big deal to those of us still living on this planet at the time. Although I plan to have a nice house on Ganymede by then.

Anyway, there will come a point when we have the technology to protect ourselves against any natural disaster (Asteroids, super-virus, whatever). There may come a point when we gain the wisdom not to destroy ourselves. The question is whether we can survive long enough to reach those points.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #7
Horatio

And then, if something natural doesn't kill us, Anarchy will.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:02 PM   #8
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Unless we reach the next step in cultural/mental evolution soon we WILL kill off ourselves. We have the brains to possess incredible power but we lack the intelligence to wield it intelligently. Instead of using it for constructive and good we use our power to destroy ourselves and the planet that we have been granted.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:42 PM   #9
Sir Goulum
John Locke

We create weapons of mass destruction for so called self defence, and fie them at places killing at least hundreds of innocent people. We should have self defence, but find a less drastic way of implementing them, or less destructive. We will probably destroy ourselves one way or another, unless the world could become united and stop all wars on the planet. (near impossibility but...)
Old 06-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #10
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Personally, I think we will kill ourselves off sooner or later. If a huge natural disaster doesn’t wipe us off this rock then we will do it ourselves. With the nuclear and bio-chemical arsenals the countries in this world have genocide of our own race would be simple, and IMHO inevitable. Not to mention the stagnation of our gene pool. And at the sheer speed at which we are destroying the environment and creating nuclear waste..... we're screwed. Big time.

Pretty damn depressing.

EDIT--Grammer

[ 06-02-2002, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Sir Mandorallen ]