Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2002, 09:50 AM   #41
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I must say that I have defended the list as quite funny. Earlier on this thread I even extolled the virtues of pulling the "you don't know s**t" grumpy old man attitude on members of younger generations.

It occurs to me though - that technically I am not of the *over 30* crowd. I'm still a couple of years away. But, I do recognize every thing on the list, and even owned Jordache jeans.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:13 AM   #42
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

John D.: I still have a water gun that's a replica of a Mac-10. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Aelia: Never fear, hon. I know lots of people still instill a sense of responsibility in their children. I've just noticed so many 'bratty' children who come in to Blockbuster and EXPECT Mom or Dad to buy them something or 'it isn't fair!' and several of my friends are guilty of giving in to that, LOL. But there are also plenty who come in and have their children pay for thier own movies/games/candy. I just remember how hard it was for me to get money for anything from my parents unless I did things about the house.

Edited for typos. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 10-14-2002, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: DragonMage ]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:04 PM   #43
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I must say that I have defended the list as quite funny. Earlier on this thread I even extolled the virtues of pulling the "you don't know s**t" grumpy old man attitude on members of younger generations.

It occurs to me though - that technically I am not of the *over 30* crowd. I'm still a couple of years away. But, I do recognize every thing on the list, and even owned Jordache jeans.
Never fear, Timber - we won't tell that you aren't a fogey yet!!

So, ya'll remember Toto, Foghat, Rush, Led Zeppelin, KISS (the mania when they were in costume, and the big bru-ha-ha when we finally saw them without it?), Molly Hatchet, Early Bad Company (with Paul Rodgers), the Dark Days of Disco (and Disco Duck?), Hair Bands (Ratt, Europe, Scorpions, Dokken), Yes, and of course the weirdness of the 80's in direct correlation to the weirdness of Disco - the New Age, Punk and assorted things that came out of that like Duran Duran, Eurythmics and MC Hammer?

That was colorful stuff!! The men wore more makeup than the girls did in the 80's. Giggle.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:00 PM   #44
Lord Shield

the youngsters here will not have seen Star Wars when it first came out on the cinema

Old 10-14-2002, 06:30 PM   #45
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
the youngsters here will not have seen Star Wars when it first came out on the cinema
How sad, but true. Chances are they didn't see ANY of the original trilogy in the theaters. I remember going to the theater in Myrtle Beach on that same vacation mentioned earlier to be one of the first from my hometown to see The Empire Strikes Back.

They also probably can't understand what's so scary about that fake shark at Universal Studios, since they wouldn't have seen Jaws on the BIG SCREEN!

Another "generation bridge". Freddie Prinze, Jr. is a very popular actor today, but his fans never got to see his father on "Chico and the Man".

They also never got to see John Belushi and probably didn't get to see Gilda Radner either.

They never saw The Carol Burnett Show,The Donny and Marie Show, or The Jackson Five.
Sanford and Son, Happy Days, M*A*S*H*, Saturday Night Live (with the Not Ready for Prime Time Players), The Wonderful World of Disney (on Sunday nights), or The Sunday Night Mystery Movie.

Bands such as Culture Club, Kajagoogoo, Mister Mister, Devo, Men At Work, Men Without Hats, Loverboy, .38 Special, and Huey Lewis and the News were either gone or on their way out.

Even such venerated giants as Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Genesis, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Chicago (Transit Authority) were becoming nothing more than fond memories.

Saddest of all is that the two biggest names in Rock & Roll - Elvis Presley & John Lennon - were already gone before they came along. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 06:55 PM   #46
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL, on the Jimmy Carter Peace Prize thread, someone, a youngster by his typing, asked me who Jimmy Carter was. Politely, though. Sorry, Melusine, I just couldn't resist.

[ 10-14-2002, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 10-14-2002, 07:12 PM   #47
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
First things first.

I also grew up with "The Fonz", Mork, and the Sweathogs. I attended a community college my first two years out of high school and they were JUST beginning to teach Electronic Data Processing. I learned to program in BASIC on a TRS-80 (affectionately known as the TRASH-80). I remember when electric typewriters were "cutting edge" and "hand held calculators" cost more than a cell phone does now. Speaking of which, I remember when the only people with "phone in their cars" lived in Hollywood.
Oh wow. Does this ever bring back memories! The TRASH-80 LOL! I remember knowing a guy who worked for Radio Scrap (er, Shack) always go on about how everything RS was THE BEST. I cut my teeth on a SWTP 6800 machine (multi-tasking, believe it or not - it had two terms), and always put down the Commodore PEsTs and TRaSh-80s. It used massive 8" floppy disks (we had the luxury of twin disk drives) with a whopping 160k of capacity. We talked about getting a monster 10mb hard disk, but the english department (who owned the computer) couldn't afford the expense.

Anyone else remember computing with keypunch terminals? When COBOL was _the_ language to learn?

Quote:

Gee, somebody mentioned a Duster. I also remember the Maverick, Capri, and a sporty little car from Ford called the Pinto. But I won't even mention the Gremlin or *choke* AMC Pacer [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] (ooops....I just did [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )
My big car memory from those days was the Chevy Vega with the aluminum engine...drive it for 40,000km and throw it away.

Quote:
I remember the FIRST "skateboarding" fad. It came along shortly after people grew disillusioned with their Mood Rings, Pet Rocks, and CB radios (Breaker! Breaker! Good Buddy. You got your ears on?)
Hahaha. I remember when all the truckers got p.o.ed at all the "fad" cbers trying to take over..."good buddy" got corrupted to mean someone who, er, preferred same sex relations.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

[ 10-14-2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 10-14-2002, 07:21 PM   #48
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
[QB
. But I won't even mention the Gremlin or *choke* AMC Pacer [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] (ooops....I just did [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )

[/QB]
LOL. You mean "The Pregnant Houseshoe"?
Old 10-14-2002, 07:49 PM   #49
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

*song on the radio today*

"I like that old time rock-and-roll. That kind of music just soooothes the soul. I reminisce about the days of old. With that old time rock-and roll."

ahhhhhhhhhh! [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:13 AM   #50
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sir Krustin - OMG! How could I forget the VEGA!!!! My older cousin had the basic 2-door model. She got her license when I was around 11-12, so it was a BIG TRILL to go riding around with her in it.

Later, in high school, one of my best friends had the Vega Station Wagon. Both of them were certified P.O.C.' (Pieces of CRAP)!

DragonMage - You're a girl after my own heart. I still see Tom Cruise dancing around in his underwear and socks when I hear that song. (disclosure: For those who DON'T understand that reference, go rent the movie Risky Business).