Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Well, it happened. I stopped waiting for the friggin' internet connection on my laptop; and instead started messing around with DC on this computer. This way I can move any relevant files to the other computer when I get that one connected. Now I've started only the first basic steps so far: I installed DC (that helps), and I was trying to set up a wall template (as in a wall pic with all you see just the purple outline and the green transarancy and the blackened walls, so you can fill the black area with your own wall pics).

I'm just taking a break from this to get on and see whats up. There hasn't been much activity on either of the msg boards lately. Might be time to have another art contest??? Maybe I'll just throw together the first of my mini-mods...

But regardless of that, it finally happened that I have a working copy of DC on a computer that I can use (I'm also learning to use the GIMP image editor (so far not TOO difficult)), so soon enuff you ppl will see my first mini-mod.

SilentThief
Old 02-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hmm, maybe you could have a continuos contest...
As in, people can constantly submit stuff, and when a certain criteria is met, they are removed and judged, but submissions can still be made....
Or something like that [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

What's the 411 on your mini mod? What genre? Ate there going to be lots of cool new pics? Come on, spill it.

If you need a playtester...

-manikus
Old 02-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by manikus:
What's the 411 on your mini mod? What genre?
Well, the mini-mods I have lined up and sorted thru my paper campaign notes (of many months of computer downtime work) give me several that I plan to do. I think for the sake of time and sanity I'll just work on two at the moment. I haven't thought of any names for these yet but I'll spill some details.
So without further ado....

---

1) the first idea came to me back when we didn't have the combat engine working nearly as well as it is 2day. Its a horror/gothic/Ravenloft like theme with a small scope. You are a pre-made character, a female gypsy thief seer (as in she has the power to see psychic visions at random times), and you have to save your niece and yourself from "the terror" that drives the story. Due to the fact that this idea came to me when there was not much in the combat engine, I think I'll stick to the idea of not many fights, if any. This would be a one-mod setting.

---

2) the second mini-mod idea came to me as the piecing together of certain old and new adventure ideas I had floating around in my mind. There is no overall theme for all of them; but they all have the same setting (a frontier outpost in my old Pnp campaign) and I thought I could have a series of mini-mods based in this area (and maybe bundle them all together for a decent sized campaign).
I was thinking that various adventures would have either a character made party or custom made characters, or even a mix; depending on the story. I've already figured out how to do the mechanics of how to force the party composition to be what I want it to be with regards to premade or player made characters (and its all about the quests. Thank you CocoaSpud!!!).
A little on the setting: a frontier outpost set on the largest of three islands. The southern most (and closest to the continent) of the Sarda Islands, with the southern 2/3rds of the island being almost completely blocked off from the north by a wall built by an old empire that fell apart. The outpost lies on this wall, and is the middle of three on the same wall. The north (and other two islands) is savage country, controlled by barbarians (and worse things) who lived on the island before the war that pushed them north. The setting kinda resembles the british isles in the newest King Arthur movie (but has been modified and the whole "knights of round table" is not what this is).

This area has a lot of detail on paper (and in my mind); and has a HUGE amount of potential for many adventures (and this is only a little corner of the world I was building...).

---

So, I've been working out these details and ideas and I'll probably build the two mini-mods together (flipping from one to the other during periods of "brain drain" when I can't figure out which way is up, if that happens. I think the idea of doing "one-mod" adventures while working my mini-mod series will work great for balancing ideas that go together and ideas that don't.

Waddya think, manikus? Sounds good to me if you wanna playtest (I'll definately take the critics )

SilentThief

[ 02-05-2005, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: SilentThief ]
Old 02-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

If I wasn't a little woozy from squinting at the screen I'd be jumping up and down.

I've got to say that I've always loved the Ravenloft idea of getting pulled into an evil dimension...bwa-ha-ha-ha. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And as far as your second idea, I was just playing Settlers of Catan, so was just thinking about setting something on an island. [img]smile.gif[/img]

What's the scope for these mini-mods? I've played some very good ones (in FRUA of course) that were pretty much a single combat or a small combat followed by a showdown with the chief villain. The mini mod that I'm working on is about the same as far as combats go, but a lot more dialogue and choices (based upon decisions you make, there are three possible outcomes).

-manikus
Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
The newest idea for a mini-mod might still be a large undertaking. I've decided on a potential for the next mini-mod idea (this makes 3...)

This one is set exclusively in a large city. The name of the city is Riverforge. It lies on two sides of a dwarf-made canal that crosses the Sarda island like about 150 miles south of the outpost in idea #2. I was thinking that there is a lot I could do in this city; and I could do small adventures as mini-mods in this city. But this idea is being put on slow/hold for the other two.

As for the scope of the other two; the first is going to be contained in a castle that you have to escape from, and the second I'm kinda undecided about (I was thinking its going to be the forested area making up the top 1/3 of the island (an area hundreds of miles in size))
These are both in the "half planned" and starting phases.

SilentThief

[ 02-10-2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: SilentThief ]