Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 08:25 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I hear Arnold Schwarzenegger is potentially planing a congressional run in CA some time in the near future. I was wondering what people thought about that. Personally I think its lunacy, but then again look at fellow predator star Jesse Ventura. . .
Old 11-04-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

This must be a joke! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2002, 08:40 PM   #3
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Most congressmen don't know how to speak English nor can they say anything without a script. Whenever they do say anything all it is are soundbites for TV that have no value at all.

I think that Arnold qualifies.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:48 PM   #4
Charean
Hathor

He is planning on public office. I saw and interview that he would run for governor first. Why not? The only office he can't do is President.

He is a Republican in good standing. As you know, he is an activist for special olympics and inner city games for kids.

Found this on his website:
http://www.Schwartzenegger.com/en/ne...x.asp?sec=news
November 4th, 2002

ARNOLD AND BROADEST CALIFORNIA POLITICAL COALITION EVER GATHER TO PLEDGE TO VOTE YES ON PROP 49

Los Angeles - Teachers, firefighters, police, sheriff, taxpayer groups and the most diverse state political coalition ever assembled, joined together on Sunday November 3rd with Arnold to pledge their votes for the after school initiative during a festive gathering at Universal Citywalk in Hollywood, California. The event brought together Proposition 49's after school "dream team" leadership whose organizations represent well over five million California voters.

Official organization representatives of the California Teachers Association, PTA, doctors, firefighters, police, sheriff, narcotics officers, taxpayer groups, correctional officers, nurses, children's advocates, YMCA, Girl Scouts, Chamber of Commerce, AARP, district attorneys, California League of Cities and many more were in attendance. Children who will benefit from Proposition 49 after school programs also joined initiative sponsor Schwarzenegger at Citywalk.

"Today's coalition shows that after school programs are not a Republican issue or a Democrat issue. It is a children's issue," said Arnold. "Millions of Californians, through their organizations, have pledged their votes to help keeps kids safe and neighborhoods safe with after school programs. Thank you for your pledge to vote for Proposition 49. I urge all Californians to go to the polls Tuesday and vote Yes on 49."

Proposition 49 has been endorsed by more than 200 city council members, 670 principals, 130 after school programs and 125 superintendents statewide. Other endorsements include the California League of Cities, the PTA, the CTA, the California State Sheriff's Association, the California Taxpayers Association, the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association and the California School Employees Association members. Dozens of mayors statewide have pledged support for Proposition 49 including San Jose Mayor Ron Gonzales, Los Angeles Mayor Jim Hahn, San Diego Mayor Dick Murphy, Fresno Mayor Alan Autry and San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown.

Proposition 49 will provide resources so that every elementary and middle school in California, can provide a safe, structured, academically enriching after school program. By making after school programs a top priority for additional funds generated by future growth in state revenues, Proposition 49 avoids raising taxes or taking money from existing programs.

For more information about Proposition 49, please visit www.joinarnold.com.

[ 11-04-2002, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Charean ]
Old 11-04-2002, 08:52 PM   #5
Charean
Hathor

An addendum:

ARNOLD TO MEET THE PRESS AT USC

Friday, November 1, 2002 at 10:00 AM Arnold, Proposition 49 sponsor and architect, will be available to discuss Proposition 49 and explain the importance of expanded after school programs with college journalists from around the state.

This informative meeting will take place at the Davidson Conference Center Boardroom of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California.

Proposition 49, slated for the November 5th ballot, will provide resources so that every public elementary and middle school in California can provide a safe, structured, academically enriching after school program. By making after school programs a top priority for additional funds generated by future growth in state revenues, Proposition 49 avoids raising taxes or taking money from existing state programs.

For more information about Proposition 49, please visit www.joinarnold.com.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
Charean
Hathor

July 17th, 2002

CONAN THE GOVERNOR? MAYBE LATER, SAYS ARNOLD

According to sources like The International Herald Tribune and CNN's Crossfire and Inside Politics, Arnold, who's now filming "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", says that he may yet run for governor of California. Schwarzenegger, a GOP activist, told Republican governors attending the National Governors Association conference in Boise, Idaho, that he had considered a challenge against Governor Gray Davis last year, but eventually declined because of his movie contracts.

"It's something that I'm still interested in," Schwarzenegger said. "It gives me the greatest satisfaction -- much more than going down another red carpet to do a movie premiere -- to go and create after-school programs, help Special Olympians, inspire kids to stay away from drugs and gangs."

But Schwarzenegger is still promoting his After School Education and Safety Act initiative on that November ballot -- his publicist saying that was the main purpose of his remarks.

Schwarzenegger said that he could imagine himself as California's governor, helping millions of people with their personal challenges. "What a great feeling to go to bed every night and say look, how many people I helped today."
Old 11-04-2002, 09:47 PM   #7
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

Charean- I think you just like to see Arnold "the Barbarian" all oiled up and showing off those muscles. If your that into California politics while living in Texas then I'm going to have to watch out for both you and Timber Loftis.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:57 PM   #8
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

I dont see a problem with it. This is America isnt it? Your free to do what you want, right?

I am not sure if we will get it, with all the dems in California.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 11-04-2002, 10:18 PM   #9
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
Charean- I think you just like to see Arnold "the Barbarian" all oiled up and showing off those muscles. If your that into California politics while living in Texas then I'm going to have to watch out for both you and Timber Loftis.
Actually, we have had quite a few actors in political office and none of them embarrassed us as a nation, so I am not against it on those grounds.

He is a Republican (which doesn't thrill me a whole lot) but I like his ideas on taking care of the kids. After all, if you take care of the next generation, they will take care of you. I haven't really looked into his positions on issues, but I am sure if he runs, they will be public soon enough.

A quote from milhouse on Movie.com:

You know, ever since Ronald Reagan won the presidency in 1980...a trend has occurred. Celebrities run for political office, and the public votes for them.

• Sonny Bono, the recently deceased U.S. Senator who entertained us all as half of the Sonny and Cher duo. He appeared not only as a musician, but acted in such films as: First Kid, Airplane II, and Hairspray. He, of course, had many tv appearances on his own show, The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, The Love Boat, Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island, etc. He then was elected Mayor of Palm Springs California, then to the United States Congress, and finally to the Senate.
• Senator Fred Thompson from Tennessee is in his second term and received the most votes of any candidate for any office in the history of his state in 1996. He has appeared in a slew of films, such as: Die Hard II, No Way Out, In The Line Of Fire, The Hunt For Red October, Cape Fear (Robert De Niro version), Flight Of The Intruder, and many others...(although before he ever acted, he was an Assistant U.S. Attorney, and served on Minority Counsel to the Senate Watergate Comittee)
• Governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura, who's story we all know...former pro-wrestler, former bodyguard for the Rolling Stones, short list of film appearances such as: Predator, The Running Man, Batman & Robin, and of course The Jesse Ventura Story (the made-for-tv movie about his life wasn't actually all that bad, except for the acting, of course).
• Fred 'Gopher' Grandy, former U.S. Representative from Iowa, who made an ever-lasting impression on all of us as tv's loveable yeoman purser on The Love Boat series. He also appeared on film in Death Race 2000. He left office to run for Iowa Governor, losing by a narrow margin to the incumbent Terry Branstad. Fred Grandy now serves as president of Goodwill Industries.

The interesting thing is that all of these people became well respected for their political accomplishments, even if their acting careers were less than shining.

I find that this is not necessarily a bad thing. To continue:

We elect politicians to office, and all these horrible secrets come pouring out of their past. But actors already have all those past mistakes out in public view. Their lives are on the internet, in the papers and magazines, on A&E's Biography, and in the National Enquirer (sort of). As a hollywood celebrity, people like Warren Beatty have a lot of free time on their hands...which they use to criticize the government and take up political causes. Politicians don't have time for political causes, because their far too busy with other government issues as getting kick-backs, raising their salaries, and getting re-elected.

As celebrities, these people have already amassed fortunes which they can then use to campaign...without having to turn to corporations and private interest groups who donate campaign funds with the expectation of political favors after the candidate is elected. "No Bribes, Because I'm Already Rich", what a great campaign slogan.

Every four years, Elvis Presley gets dozens, if not hundreds of write in votes during the presidential elections. Why? Well, he's more trust-worthy than your average Senator or Representative...and he's been DEAD for twenty-two years. If Jimmy Stewart were alive, he'd get my vote. Talk about a trust-worthy candidate. That is a man with character, a president you could look up to, a real leader. (Maybe I'll stop voting for Elvis next year and write in Jimmy Stewart).

I just think it is something to really consider.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:43 PM   #10
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

If Arnold ran for congress he'd be a shoe in! Better results that Jessy Ventura [img]tongue.gif[/img]