Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Son of Osiris

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLIT...lth/index.html

Reagan led a conservative revolution that set the economic and cultural tone of the 1980s, hastened the end of the Cold War and revitalized the Republican Party. He suffered from Alzheimer's disease since at least late 1994.

At least two of his children and his wife, Nancy, were at his bedside, according to the former president's Los Angeles office.

Ron Reagan Jr. and Patty Davis -- children from his current marriage to Nancy Davis Reagan -- were with him, the office said.

Michael Reagan, his adopted son from his first marriage to actress Jane Wyman, might have been with his father or was still en route. Maureen Reagan, his daughter from that marriage, died in 2001.

President Bush was informed of Reagan's death while in Paris, where he is on tour to honor the heroes of World War II on the weekend of the 60th anniversary of the D-Day invasion.

The White House lowered its flag to half-staff after the news.

Alzheimer's is a progressive, irreversible, incurable neurological disorder that causes losses of memory and mental abilities -- eventually leading to dementia, according to the Mayo Clinic Web site.

'Long journey'
At a fund-raiser last month, Nancy Reagan described her husband's condition.

"Ronnie's long journey has finally taken him to a distant place where I can no longer reach him," she said. "Because of this I'm determined to do whatever I can to save other families from this pain."

She also called for increased funding for stem-cell research, which has shown promise as a potential treatment for Alzheimer's and other conditions, such as Parkinson's disease.

"Now science has presented us with a hope called stem cell research, which may provide our scientists with many answers that have for so long been beyond our grasp," Reagan told an audience in Los Angeles. "I just don't see how we can turn our backs on this."

Human stem-cell research is controversial, because it uses cells harvested from newly fertilized embryos. Bush signed an executive order in 2001, banning the use of federal funds to harvest new lines of stem cells for medical research.

Assassination attempt
Reagan disclosed in November 1994 in a passionate letter to the American people that he has Alzheimer's disease. Reagan faded from public view a short time later and has been rarely seen outside his home.

The former Hollywood film actor stopped going to his Century City office in 1999 but still made trips to parks and enjoyed strolls on the Venice Beach boardwalk with his Secret Service contingent.

At 69, Reagan was the oldest man elected president when he was chosen on November 4, 1980, over incumbent Democrat Jimmy Carter.

On March 30, 1981, Reagan was leaving a Washington hotel after addressing labor leaders when John Hinckley fired six gunshots at him. A bullet lodged an inch from Reagan's heart, but he recovered fully.

In 1984, he defeated Democrat Walter Mondale.

Reagan has also undergone a 1985 colon cancer operation and 1987 prostate and skin-cancer surgery.

He fell and broke his hip in 2001, less than a month before his 90th birthday.

[ 06-05-2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 06-05-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
May he rest in peace.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:14 PM   #3
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

A varient on Parkinsen's disease, which my Grandfather suffered from, called Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, slowly ruined him until his death in 2002. It was terrible to see this adventurous, brave and downright great man go so horribly. He was the kind of man who should have fallen in battle, or in a bar fight, or something like that, not slowly be eaten up from the inside.

It's awfully sad to see someone like Reagan go, he was a great man, for all his detractors had, and for what little they were right about.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Just want to say, I don't want to see ANY nasty comments in this thread. A Good man has died. If you don't like him, don't post here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Even if you didn't like his presidency, he was still a good and honest man, and the fact that he has died is sad no matter how you felt about the 80's.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

i agree ziroc. i dont think death is ever a time to celebrate, no matter the person dying. if osama bin laden were to die today i would not rejoice but be sad that he could not be made to accept responsibility and appologize for his ways.

at the same time, this whole death is sadder still because it is the death of a good man who worked to serve the people of the United states and the world.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

May he rest in peace
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

While I never liked him as president, may he rest in peace.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

How do you all feel about having Alzheimer's? Would you rather die than live 10-20 years not knowing anyone, or even who YOU were/are? It's so sad to see anyone with that horrid disease.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

I hope you aren't directing this at me, Ziroc. I'll I said was that I didn't like his presidency but that's mainly because of political reasons.

And, yes I have some understanding about this terrible disease. The poor guy had been suffering from it for 10 years.

[ 06-05-2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Gab ]