Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 06:22 AM   #1
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Any recommendations ? Just got a new all singing and dancing Alienware machine. I prefer First Person View (or as close to it as possible)Not really a fan of views as in BG etc.

I looked at Arx Fatalis but it seems it probably wont run on newer Nvidia drivers, Dungeon Lords seems unfinished.

Please dont suggest any like WoW or EQ as I have those, I am interested in single player only....someting like the old Daggerfall or Legends of Valour. Played Morrowind and I'm after any newer games, fantasy preferred.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Morrowind, Vampire: Bloodlines, Deus Ex(1, not 2, definetly not 2), System Shock 2 if you feel a bit nostalgia in urself. And the new Project Snowblind is said to be an action Deus Ex derivative, and it's highly prased.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:01 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Any of the Might and Magic games 6-9 qualify as first person, although they are party based and not single player. They are more light hearted than your average cRPG, but still worthy. I only finished III, IX and Swords of Xeen recently and have had alot of fun in doing so.

I'd keep trying to get Arx Fatalis going, don't give up on it, as it is a brilliant game. Visit more forums, perhaps try it on an older machine.
If you can't, then play the Ultima Underworld's instead, since they are its heart and soul anyway.

I also have a soft spot for games like Stonekeep and Anvil of Dawn, which along with the Underworlds, helped really push the First Person Perspective rpg forward.

I'm actually playing the demo of the Bard's Legacy: Devil Whiskey at the moment, which is a modern day bard's tale homage, with a slightly expanded first person view and list interface. Its proving to be a very nostalgic experience thus far.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find something.

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

There aren't many 1st person RPG's newer than Morrowind. Vampires: Bloodlines is the only one I can think of right now.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Wizardry 8 isn't for everybody, but it's technically 1st person perspective.

Edit: I just had to express my jealousy at your Alienware computer. I like my computer well enough, but it sure don't do no singin' or dancin'. Congrats.

[ 05-16-2005, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Mopery ]
Old 05-19-2005, 03:10 AM   #6
the mighty stamar

ya from your description i think you want vampire bloodlines. It looks the best of any first person rpg. it uses the half life 2 engine.

However as much as i liked bloodlines... half life 2 is way better its a really excellent game
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the replies. Ive done MM series, Wizardry (dint like that one too much) and Morrowind. Anyone know if Arx works with the latest drivers on Nvidia?. Bloodlines sounds interesting but I'd much prefer high fantasy settings
Old 05-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

America's Army, or at least it feels as long winded as a RPG.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

LOL, AA isn't an rpg, or even like one. Its a shooter, its a hella boring shooter at times (training to be a medic anyone?), but still a shooter.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
the mighty stamar

Oh then maybe check out the new game dungeon lords im having a lot of fun with it.

I liked arx too it was cool but a bit short for me.

Oh but way way better is gothic 1 and gothic 2. If you can find those those are the best first person rpgs made.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote