Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

What movie movements were you especially moved by? Any kind goes, whether the scene is disturbing, horrifying, "feel-good", sweet, visually awe-inspiring, sad, or made you want to rip your hair in anger. I'll list a few of mine.

Saving Private Ryan, when that german and Mellish are struggling over the knife. What makes this doubly disturbing is that Mellish was definitely in advantage at the beginning of the fight, and then the german starts pushing the knife towards his chest. When Mellish feels that he's losing, he tries to break loose with all the strength he can muster. It's just heartbreaking when he realizes that he's still losing, and frantically starts yelling "Wait, wait, wait a minute! Hey wait a minute!", as the german slowly, slowly pushes the knife into his chest.

The Shawshank Redemption, when Brooks is released from Shawshank and realizes that there's no place for him in the real society. The music does a lot to help set the mood in these scenes.

Schindler's List, when Schindler walks into the deathcamp at Auschwitz and drags all those children who the nazis tried to take back into the camp, back to his train. Best "feel-good" moment ever.

Magnolia, the whole romance between the police officer and the junkie is beautiful, amazingly touching, but the one scene that stands out is at the end when the camera is on the girl, and as the police officer has his speech about how she is a good person and he wont let her walk out on him and say to herself that she's stupid, you see her very slowly and gradually begin to smile.

The Deer Hunter, when De Niro finds Walken turned into a psychotic and suicidal mess, playing russian roulette in that shabby Saigon bar.

The Green Mile, when that little brat "forgets" to water the sponge and causes the electrocution to go horribly wrong.

The Elephant Man, when he's being chased by the crowd in the subway station, and finally yells "I am not an animal!" with all the force he can muster when he's cornered by them.

The Killing Fields, the scenes at the hospital when they're trying to create a fake passport for Dith Pran.

The Right Stuff, when Ed Harris backs his wife instead of trying to talk her into speaking with the vice president.

Raging Bull, when La Motta is imprisoned and starts to furiously pound the cell wall whe he realizes how badly he screwed up his life.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the end when The Chief realizes that McMurphy has been lobotomized.

[ 03-09-2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]
Old 03-09-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Malena, the scene where the other women are beating the hell out of our dear second-perspective protagonist. I wanted to take a shotgun and shoot those bit**es right then and there.
Lord of the Rings had me at absolutely every scene. It's that good. The same goes for Star Wars Episodes I & II.
The end of The Game is the best ending ever.
La Vita E Bella(Life is Beautiful) is an excellent fell-good movie. Even the ending.
And as for the 'disturbing' part, there is no way to go for me but the 'bite the pavement' scene in American History X.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

The scattering of the ashes in The Big Lebowski. As he Dude would say: "**** Walter! Why does everything have to be a travesty with you man?".

And also the very end of the Royal Tenenbaums, with Chaz (Ben Stiller) talking to Royal (Gene Hackman). "It's been a rough year dad..."

That'll do for now I think. Also I agree about the Shawshank Redemption and Brooks. Thats one hell of a sequence.

Edit - I've just realised that I should stress here that I don't normally like Ben Stiller much, but you have to see his performance at the end of the Royal Tenenbaums to believe it. Not his normal fare at all, and extremely moving at that particular moment. You'll know it when you see it.

[ 03-09-2004, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Barry the Sprout ]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Return of the King:

1) When Frodo tells Sam to "go home..."
2) When Pippin sings and Faramir charges to certain death
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Agree with Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and LOTR - Pippin singing. I even have that song on my computer now and listen to it every now and then.

I also like scenes from Rain Man (for instance where Charlie teaches Raymond how to dance and such). Rain Man is one of my all time favorite movies.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
Smoothie
Manshoon

The Killing Fields, the scenes at the hospital when they're trying to create a fake passport for Dith Pran

Excellent movie, excellent scene.

I love the end death scene of Braveheart. I always cry.

And the scene in Philadelphia where they are listening to the opera. Denzel has the most soulful beautiful eyes in that scene.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
Smoothie
Manshoon

Quote:
Edit - I've just realised that I should stress here that I don't normally like Ben Stiller much, but you have to see his performance at the end of the Royal Tenenbaums to believe it. Not his normal fare at all, and extremely moving at that particular moment. You'll know it when you see it. [/QB]
He was best thing in that movie to be honest. And although the movie should ahve been solid, Gwyneth ruined it for me. Not her best performance.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

Let's see...

I do like the part where Brooks leaves Shawshank, but I also love the part where Andy escapes (and also that sinking part before, where you think that he has been "broken").

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for me not only includes the last part, but the part where the young man loses his virginity, then promptly commits suicide when the nurse threatens to tell his mother (been a long time since I've watched this one).

Agree with Wallace's death in Braveheart. Very touching.

Dances with Wolves, when he makes his choice between cultures.

Full Metal Jacket, when the guy shoots the D.I. then himself in the bathroom.

The Exorcist, where she is masturbating with the crucifix, and where you see the statue in the background during the exorcism (also, that first time you see the statue is disturbing).

The Omen, when Damien knocks his mother off of the table while riding the Big Wheel (also the parts with the nanny hanging herself and the animals attacking).

Damien: Omen II, both the parts where the kid gets trapped under the ice, and the part where he kills his cousin.

Casablanca, the famous last scene ("we'll always have Paris").

The Godfather saga, let's see...when Michael has all of the Dons killed during the baptism, when Sonny is gunned down, when Vito (Robert DeNiro) kills the boss during the parade.

Schindler's List, the ending part where they pay tribute to Schindler (drives home the whole movie). Also the part with the little girl at the end of the main movie.

12 Angry Men, when Lee J. Cobb's character rips up his son's photograph.

The last part of Silence of the Lambs, along with the dialog between Lecter and Starling.

The last "montage" of scenes in Requiem for a Dream.

Jaws, when Quint gets eaten.

The Shining, the part where he is riding on his Big Wheel and runs into the twins in the hallway. Also, the part where Jack Nicholson's character goes into the one bad suite room.

Just a few I can think of on the fly.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

LotR:RotK - The lighting sequence of the bonfire signals. Pippin singing.

LotR:TTT - The last march of the Ents.

Monster Inc. - Closing scene where the little girl shouts out, "Kitty!"

ID4 - Scene where the old man flies on a suicide run to bring down the mothership.

That's what I can think of off-hand.

PS: What is it with Monica Belluci and disturbing roles? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #10
Smoothie
Manshoon

She's Italian

I agree with Nerull about the scen in Full Metal Jacket but for Godfather saga I would pick the two times he closes the door on Kate and the kiss of death he gives to his brother.

And in Jaws my favorite scene is when they are comparing scars. That makes me smile everytime.

I also like two scenes in SoTL. The first is when she is ringing the door bell and finds the killer behind it and the second is the part where she is stumbling round in the dark.