Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
Dr. Bob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm running on a year-old Dell, Win 2000, NVidia GE 5200. I just uploaded the latest NVidia driver (another game suggested new driver). Now when I start Wiz8,
the initial "Choose option" display (New, Load, Save, Exit) looks really bad -- the cursor "drags along" a background square that erases blocks of the display, the display flickers badly. Interestingly, the initial SirTech logo looks fine! I've not noticed display problems otherwise, but this problem is less than a day old. The driver had been version 56.72, is now version 66.93. Nothing else was changed. Suggestions/fixes?

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:53 PM   #2
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

I use a GeForce 4 4600TI and Wiz8 works perfectly with 61.77

As for suggections, have you tried with both OpenGL (perferred) and DirectX? Same results?

Does you have some sort of unique animated mouse cursor for your Windows desktop? If so, maybe try reverting to the defaults.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

I had the same thing. Check in Properties (right-click on the desktop) in "settings" then "advanced" then "troubleshoot" (not the first "troubleshoot next to "advanced") you can raise the amount of acceleration. Then in the 3D-Setup in the Wiz-8 folder run the autodetect, and select DirectX. That fixes it for me. (sometimes your accelerator slows that setting down in order to download video.)
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 AM   #4
Dr. Bob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the two suggestions. I've tried both, with mixed results. 1) W8 Setup shows DX6, DX7, OGL and "software". DX7 consistently "fails" (cursor "drags" large square block of image with it, obscuring stuff). Didn't try DX6. Doing video "troubleshooting" and disabling some of DX settings makes no difference. 2) Tried OpenGL. At first, got good-looking, but "incomplete", display -- saw about 2/3 of W8 opening image, filled about 2/3 of the screen. That was on the 1024*768 setting. When I put on 800*600, I got a usable image, but one with about 5-6 thin horizontal and vertical black lines dividing the screen up into square "tiles" (like looking at image through a very coarse screen). But at least I see an image, and can play ...

Dr.Bob
Old 12-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
rbeane1
The Magister

you may want to try DX6 for awhile it was the only
video option that would work for me.
rbeane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #6
Dr. Bob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The suggestion from rbeane1 (namely that I choose DX6) completely fixed it! In my naivete, I assumed that (on a machine with DX9 installed) a DX7 choice would be better than DX6 ... Shows what I know!

Thanks for your help.

Dr. Bob