Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #1
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Two astronomers from Hawaii have found 23 new moons orbiting Jupiter, bringing the number of moons circling the planet to a whopping 60. The nearly two dozen new moons are tiny--just 2 kilometers to 5 kilometers across--making them the smallest moons ever to be detected from Earth, reports Canada's CBC News. Of the 60 moons, only eight are considered "regular" satellites that formed from Jupiter. The other 52 "irregulars" were likely sucked into Jupiter's orbit billions of years ago--and never escaped, which offers a unique view into what happened in the early solar system.
Jupiter has, by far, the most moons of any other planet. The closest competitor is Saturn with 31. The discoverers are Scott Sheppard and David Jewitt of the Institute for Astronomy at the University of Hawaii, who have turned finding new jovian moons into a regular hobby, having found 43 of the 60. They don't think their work is finished, either. The AFP news service notes that the discovery is technically significant, because it shows how high-powered telescopes combined with modern computers can capture tiny objects in irregular orbits

Here's a fun tidbit: Each of Jupiter's moons must be named by the International Astronomical Union (IAU). Since "Jupiter" is the Latin word for Zeus, the ruler of the Olympian gods, the planet's moons have all been named after Zeus's lovers. Fortunately for the IAU, Zeus had a long list of lovers. But even this is too much for Zeus's little black book. So the IAU has resorted to naming the new jovian moons after children or relatives of the lovers
Old 05-15-2003, 02:22 PM   #2
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Wow...I knew Jupiter had a lot of moons, but not that many... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And if they're gonna name a few more new moons after anything in Olympus, they ain't gonna have a problem finding some!
Old 05-15-2003, 04:00 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

this gave me a thought. number of Zeus lover = number of jupiter's moon? err...
Old 05-15-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

I thought there were only 15. Guess alot has changed since I've had an astronomy lesson. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 10:53 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by T/-/alali:
I thought there were only 15. Guess alot has changed since I've had an astronomy lesson. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Yeesh! How old are you??? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Stormymystic, I don't know if your original post is your work or something you found, but just in case and for everyone else too- this is a reminder that when you post any sort of cut and pasted news article or copy something from another site, please note it's someone else's work in your post and give the link or at least the author's name. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Interesting info! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 11:18 PM   #7
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Light Bulb

I guess Jupiter will top Saturn now, at least by my books.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:21 AM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Stormymystic, I don't know if your original post is your work or something you found, but just in case and for everyone else too- this is a reminder that when you post any sort of cut and pasted news article or copy something from another site, please note it's someone else's work in your post and give the link or at least the author's name. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Interesting info! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I tried to link to it, but it is on my server and is members only site sorry guys i will just make sure to let everyone know where i get the info