Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

What would an Undead Hunter's take be on good undead, like a friendly helpful ghost. It says in the manual that they're all about destroying undead, but some undead can be pretty nice ghosts. What about a ghost like Casper? I mean, he's a friendly ghost. Is it proper for a LG Undead Hunter to tear him up. I don't think so, but it's definitely a conflict of interests...

So what's the general concensus on this?
Old 05-12-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
Dragon Knight Kain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you see casper kill him he sucks.
but I don't think there are good ghosts in the game.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:31 PM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

I'm not just talking about the game, I mean for roleplaying in general too. And by ToB there will be good ghosts. There's actually one I can think of off hand in SoA. The ghost of the little boy in the graveyard. He's obviously not evil. As an Undead Hunter, who is lawful good, you're supposed to just slay him? I don't think so. It's hardly the most righteous path. That's what I wonder about the Undead Hunter.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
Dragon Knight Kain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

aww your lawful good I'm allways evil no matter what.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
masteraleph
Elminster

As a Paladin, the Undead Hunter would totally be bound by his LG alignment. I think that the Undead Hunter would clearly help someone like the boy in the graveyard...actually, Paladins are supposed to have a natural sense of evil (and can cast detect evil), so they could tell if the undead they were helping was good or evil. The Undead Hunter is just a Paladin devoted to destroying undead...specifically the evil variety. As long as there's a good one who poses no problem, killing it would go against the LG alignment.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:33 PM   #6
hermit09
Dungeon Master

I would assume an Undead Hunter paladin would try to help lay to rest "good" ghosts (like the halfling kid in the graveyard), by finishing their undone tasks or whatever it is that´s not letting their spirits move on.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:54 PM   #7
StarVid
Elminster

I don't usually play a Lawful Good alignment. Actually, if I play an undead hunter now, it'll be my first time. But if I'm going to play a holy warrior, I want to see it done right.

The title "Undead Hunter" and it's kit description has such negative connotations. It paints a picture of a crusader against all undead, rather than a paladin who's focused on lifeforces trapped in this realm.

Furthermore, the Undead Hunter isn't even a valid paladin kit (which explains why it's name and description is as such). I remember reading in a 2e suppliment that it was originally a kit designed for Fighter/Thieves (weird to design a kit for a multi-class, but that's what I read). With the F/T the alignment issue isn't a problem.

I was thinking of changing this stuff in the game myself. Anyone happen to have an idea of how to do this? I wouldn't be so fussy, but if I'm going to play a paladin, then everything is a matter of ethics. It'll be interesting, to finally play a character with morals.

Otherwise, screw it, I'll play a cleric. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2002, 07:21 AM   #8
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

you can kill a good ghost there are two in soa. but do not kill them you screw yourself doin it(i know i did it on accident). shade lord dungeon there are the 2 ghosts that guard anaumtors grave if you kill them before talking to them you cant move forward. doh

and there should be no ethics to killing vamps and liches easy thats why the undead hunter kit is a paladin kit. cleansing the world of the undead menace.
like the cavalier clears the world of the dragon menace
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:42 AM   #9
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by hermit09:
I would assume an Undead Hunter paladin would try to help lay to rest "good" ghosts (like the halfling kid in the graveyard), by finishing their undone tasks or whatever it is that´s not letting their spirits move on.
from a true roleplaying perspective, the undead hunter would attempt to put to rest ALL ghosts, whether good or evil. ghosts, by definition, have unfinished business to attend to before passing on. Thus, by helping the ghost, the Undead Hunter would rid the world of the undead in the best way. Note that putting an "evil" ghost to rest would free it and cleanse it.

just about the only thing an Undead Hunter wouldn't do to get rid of the ghosts would be to kill an innocent or slander someone.