Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2002, 09:13 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Wendy, I think you picked the right option [img]tongue.gif[/img] I've had 3 nasty bouts of food poisoning - one of which made me think I was gonna die it was so bad, the pain was like nothing I ever felt and I couldn't even keep water down for 3 days - I was ill for nearly 2 weeks

That's the main reason I'm now veggie - all 3 times were meat-related - the only thing I have to watch for now is reheated rice, that can grow bacteria like there's no tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:23 PM   #12
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Wendy, I think you picked the right option [img]tongue.gif[/img] I've had 3 nasty bouts of food poisoning - one of which made me think I was gonna die it was so bad, the pain was like nothing I ever felt and I couldn't even keep water down for 3 days - I was ill for nearly 2 weeks

That's the main reason I'm now veggie - all 3 times were meat-related - the only thing I have to watch for now is reheated rice, that can grow bacteria like there's no tomorrow.
Ack Epona! Never have I gotten really sick before from meat, but of course I'm always a cautious type re that. Tis why I'm saying buh-bye to le chili tonight, even though it could still be good (its spiced up pretty good, but... shite, too worried). I always give these things three days tops, even though they may still rein edible after three days. But wondered what everyone though re that subject, still do, please yall continue to post your opinions!

Again sorry hear you got violently ill with meat Epona, I never have, and know I've eaten some low quality foods, ake, 7-11 hotdogs (deathdogs) or leftover pizza from the night before, etc. Never got sick. Maybe some get an immunity LOL to certain things. I'm allergic to seafood though, can't even eat a bite of it without getting hugely ill. To each is own I reckon, still sad about my chili rembrant, was truly a masterpiece,... ah well, driving down the ol Stouffer road now this evening (Pauly? yeah...) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 04-10-2002, 09:39 PM   #13
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Actually, ladies, cooked beef lasts the longest, about a week. Avoid chicken, fish, and pork after a few days, or I won't answer for the results. Attalus says that his chili lasts forever, as no carbon-based known life forms can exist in it, but that's just him.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 04-11-2002, 01:04 AM   #14
Moni

Deathkiller,
ROFL!

Ladyzekke,
I can't help you with your chili because we never have any leftover (chili) lol but I do know that when frozen it is good for a few months.
I keep cooked meats three days max and store fresh meat no longer than 24 hours (thawed).

*When you can tie celery in a knot and it doesn't break, its old.*

We don't keep food in our fridge for long...expiration dates are honored religiously if the food makes it that long lol but every now and then the vegee drawer will develop new and frightening forms of life i.e. those tomato slices in a container that no one but grandpa will eat and he forgets they are there...afraid to open a container that I can see green in, the whole thing gets tossed unopened.

That reminds me...I have some Key Lime Pie Yogurt that I want to eat.

Old 04-11-2002, 10:49 AM   #15
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Lady Z, I find that if I water my petri dishes daily...very seldom will mold grow on them
HeH! Really thow I dont take any chances anymore. After suffering from food poisoning a couple of times I have learned my lesson. Having your stomach tied up in knots for days on end seems to have had a great effect on my snacking habits.
When in doubt..throw it out
Old 04-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

The only time I ever got mild food poisoning was with suspect food from low quality fast food joints. Primarily gas station types. The hot dogs on rolling warmers can be quite dangerous when left that way for over 24 hours. Luke warm honey BBQ wings from KFC that tasted real old were another culprit. I keep almost everything frozen until use and then only keep cooked stuff in the fridge for three days at a temp of 35F. Very oily, salty or sweet things will last forever in the fridge.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:56 PM   #17
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Deathkiller,
ROFL!

Ladyzekke,
I can't help you with your chili because we never have any leftover (chili) lol but I do know that when frozen it is good for a few months.
I keep cooked meats three days max and store fresh meat no longer than 24 hours (thawed).

*When you can tie celery in a knot and it doesn't break, its old.*

We don't keep food in our fridge for long...expiration dates are honored religiously if the food makes it that long lol but every now and then the vegee drawer will develop new and frightening forms of life i.e. those tomato slices in a container that no one but grandpa will eat and he forgets they are there...afraid to open a container that I can see green in, the whole thing gets tossed unopened.

That reminds me...I have some Key Lime Pie Yogurt that I want to eat.
Never thought of that, freezing it I mean. Freezing chili... dunno just always thought the beens would freeze and harden or something, but maybe they are cool and just as good when thawed and heated again. Hmmm, have to try it next chili time, was such a shame and a waste to toss out so much lovely chili in the garbage yesterday. Again, it turned out extra well this time round, blah.

Ack, don't do it Moni! Key lime with Yogurt, how will you know if there is mold, all is fuzzy white as it is! Very deceptive! Save yourself and have a twinkie or something!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Conan, LOL, good one, if in doubt throw it out, hahahahah, frikken funny! I'm still chuckling on that one!

Reality Show Recaps
Old 04-12-2002, 09:13 AM   #18
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

There is indeed a rule here in our home... hehehe

If it ain't smelling, you can still eat it!

Although I myself don't eat stuff beyond even two days.. I just find it... yucky [img]smile.gif[/img]

But then we don't usually seal the foods and thus making it more prone to bacteria so technically it is just dog food for us... and the smells and tastes already mix so it isn't good either.. we are sloppy my mom and I.. LOL
Old 04-12-2002, 09:18 AM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

You want longevity? Here's longevity for you! (Blech!!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

LONDON, England -- A sandwich that stays fresh for up to three years could be heading for supermarket shelves following a breakthrough by U.S. military scientists.

Experts at the U.S. Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Massachusetts, developed the "indestructible" sandwiches, which come in pepperoni and barbecue chicken flavour, to supplement battle rations, London-based New Scientist magazine said on Thursday.

The pocket-sized snacks -- tested and cautiously approved by American soldiers -- are designed to survive airdrops and extreme temperatures. They will keep for up to three years at 26C (79F), or for six months at 38C (100F) -- and are vacuum-sealed.

"The water activity of the different sandwich components needs to complement each other," project officer Michelle Richardson told New Scientist.

"If the water activity of the meat is too high you might get soggy bread."

The sandwiches come in laminated plastic pouches with an array of chemicals to seal the meat and inhibit bacterial growth.

Inspired by their breakthrough, the scientists are now experimenting with pizzas, bagels, burritos and even the staple peanut butter sandwich.

The culinary breakthrough is sure to filter down to grocery shelves. Dehydrated egg, freeze-dried coffee and processed cheese were all invented by the military and later became a part of civilian lives.

Senior research analyst Richard Perks, from London-based Mintel Retail Intelligence, predicts UK supermarkets would experiment with a long-lasting sandwich, for example one which would last for a few weeks:

He added: "But it would only find its way to the shelves if it was a cheap alternative. The trend is for customers to move away from products with additives."

The wonder (bread) of it all! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-12-2002, 10:05 AM   #20
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Ewww Saz. that just doesnt strike me as very safe
"An Array of chemicals to keep the meat fresh" What chemical's and why are we putting more into our meat's ?? just ewww.

As for food, when you freeze chicken, only thaw it once do not re freeze. Bean's will retain most of there flavor and softness as long as you dont freezer burn them. If you thaw stuff out properly and cook it right ie, not the microwave, the food should taste just as good as fresh. And if you have a vacuum sealer machine, bon'a petite, your food will be golden