Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 02:43 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Next week I'm heading out on my first trip overseas (going to Italy via London). Any of you experienced travellers have advice on how I can avoid what happened to Animal? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
MagiK

Well I know how much you respect my opinions but seriously, if you want to avoid problems...
1. get informed and follow the rules.
2. courtesy is paramount, be polite and accomodating. Try to see things from the inspectors point of view.
3. repeat step 2 a lot.
4. Know that the people in the security jobs aren't out to inconvenience you in particular, they are just trying to do a job and keep people safe.

These rules have always worked for me, without exception.

Have a safe trip guy!
Edit: A couple of other Einstein Quotes for you [img]smile.gif[/img]

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Just a few of my favorites [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-20-2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 02-20-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

1) When your in London, bring me booze. This is like Magik's rule 2 x40 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
2) Be careful in London. never been to Italy, but London (some parts, at least) is a rough place.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
1) When your in London, bring me booze. This is like Magik's rule 2 x40 [img]tongue.gif[/img]
2) Be careful in London. never been to Italy, but London (some parts, at least) is a rough place.
Unfortunately my stay in London will only be for a few hours, I fly into Heathrow and fly out of Gatwick. British Airways is odd. I tried to get an overnight layover but it would not work with the fare I got. But if you want to meet me at Gatwick I'll buy ya a pint [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'll pass thanks....I'm not THAT thirsty [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-20-2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Horatio ]
Old 02-20-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Firstly, have a great time Rokenn!! Good for you! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] So are you there for business or leisure? Want some sight-seeing tips?

Anyway, like Magik said: just be polite. They're just doing their job. If you are picked to be searched, there's little you can do about it but at least you'll know it wasn't anything you did.
I honestly can't understand people who grump about all the time anyway. In the stores, at the airport, on the street. And it *IS* a vicious circle. If you believe that rudeness gives you a right to be rude back, where will that lead you? Seriously! My best defense is a sickeningly sweet smile and a just ever so slightly sarcastic "have a wonderful day". It may not cure their grumpyness, but at least it won't worsen it like being rude at them will. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-20-2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 02-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #7
quietman1920

I haven't travelled to europe a lot recently, but there are some things I remember. You'll want to put any remotely sharp personal grooming items (safety razors, etc) in your checked baggage. You'll want to keep all your bags & papers on you/with you while at the airport and put your passport, tickets, and papers in the Hotel Safe when you get to your hotel. The no sense of humor thing is true, but jokes about not packing your own bags & bombs were NEVER funny. Sure, that yellow cab cut you off on the way to the airport, but you'd better leave your road-rage in the car when you park, because there's just no place for it in the airport

In the old days people used to berate the boarding staff and attendants like they were the customer service staff at Bloomingdales. Those days are OVER. Be nice, be polite, and treat the staff with respect. If you are a loud or mean drunk, stay sober for the flight. If your bag doesn't fit in the overhead, check it. Arguing that "Sampsonite Guarentees this bag to fit and I'm going to Make it fit" will only get you removed from the plane.

Look, Animal had a bad experiance, but his is very Rare. Much more common are the demanding overbearing passengers who are deluded into thinking they own the plane. "Don't you talk to ME about keeping it down. I Own Your Stock!" and "What do you Mean you won't give me more scotch??? Do You Know Who I Am? I'll Have Your Job...!" Basically, if you play ball and do your best not to continue the Ugly American stereotype, 99 times out of 100 you'll be fine.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Basic suggestions, as already mentioned:

1. Be nice. Be Eddie Haskell from Leave It To Beaver -- all polite, yessir, nosir, yes ma'am, no ma'am. The most you can inconvenience them is to the end of their shift. They can inconvenience you a whole lot more.

2. Be open. When you go through checkins and lines, put sunglasses and gloves away. Don't look like you're trying to hide something, and they won't go searching.

3. Be smart. That list of things that you're not supposed to carry on board? They're serious about it. Leave the sharp objects in your checked baggage (safety razors are okay today, but straight razors aren't).

4. Be polite. If you get grief from someone, be polite in your response, and don't respond back in kind. If you think you're being taken advantage of, ask politely to talk to a supervisor or manager, or a higher-up airport official. There are procedures for passenger complaints, although it may take a while to get them in place.

And I've read the other thread, so let's not merge these with arguments why I'm wrong. I fly between 25,000 and 50,000 miles a year, mostly domestically in the US, and I've been through dozens, if not hundreds, of airports, both before and after September 11. That doesn't make me right, but it does make me experienced.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Don't wear shoes or other items that contain metal - metal detector = at least 5 min. delay. Pants with big rivets will set off the detectors in fact. So will the foil in a cigarette pack - so send your cigs through the X-ray machine and avoid the pat-down. Skip the belt and pack it if you can. Quietman's post was excellent - put anything that can *remotely* be considered a weapon, including such things as tweezers and nail clippers, in your checked baggage.

Internationally, X-ray machines are stronger than here. Do *not* put film in your checked bags unless you like ruined photos.

Don't say words that could be at all threatening. The words "bomb" or "fire" uttered quietly or jokingly can ruin your entire trip - for real.

The upgraded security we've had here since 9/11 has been the standard overseas for some time - so they're old hat at this stuff.

Oh - and drink all the drinks they'll let you have on the plane. Alcohol affects you much more dramatically at 30,000 feet.

"I couldn't sneak a plastic pellet gun through customs over in London."
Eminem (pre-9/11)
Old 02-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #10
Irongrinder

Best tip: don't worry too much