Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

As I went to bed last night around 2:00 am, I heard a light rain and a considerably strong wind going. I went outside to feel the air temperature and it was quite cool. I go to bed, wake up at 6:28 as I always do for school. It sounded like a tornado out there. The winds were even more powerful, and the sky was darkened. Naturally I thought it was going to be like 10 degrees out, so I bundle myself up with a longsleeve shirt and a lightweight jacket (i only wait outside for 5 min tops).

So I take a step outside and I curse myself. Not only was I wrong, I was completely wrong. It felt like a summer day. No joke, it was in the upper 60's by us. Thankfully, the rains had temporarily stopped. But the wind.... It was like a hurricane without the rain out there (actually I believe we did have hurricane-force gusts of wind). By the time i walk to the bottom of the street and at the bus stop, it felt so odd to be outside. My pants were drenched since we live on a hill and I walk to the bottom and our street becomes a mini-stream during heavy rains. Not to mention the wind sends my rather baggy pants flying about. Even my hair, which was already nearly hardened from the gel got all screwy. The winds just threw my hair around like a chained ragdoll.

By the time we get to school, everyone is talking about the potential possibility of the power going. By the time we are into second period (roughly from 8:00-8:45 am), the lights are flickering crazily. You can hear opened windows banging like crazy and the wind pressing against the building.
Third period arrives and halfway through, the power goes off. Everyone is screaming in delight and then.... power comes back on two seconds later. This happens 5 or 6 times in the next 10 minutes. It will continue to happen for the rest of the day. Unfortunately we never lost power and stayed in school the entire day (with so many useless interruptions by our principal who loves to hear his own voice).

Nearly every other school however lost power and got home early. At our school, they cancelled everything afterschool and we have a two-hour delay tomorrow. But man, the weather was nuts all over the place. So many people have lost power today in New York, Conneticuit, and New Jersey (elsewhere too I believe).

I love it when the weather goes pyschotic for a few days. It makes things much more interesting for the rest of the week. Anyone else on IW experience these winds today?
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Doubt it was the same winds, but it was pretty windy up here. It was really nice when I left for the bus today, so when I went to go get a lunch I didn't put a coat on... hah! The windchill must have made it -10C, and I had a 5 minute walk to the nearest food place. Needless to say, I was a little icicle by the time I got there.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Wheather has been messed up here too. First it was falling ice, then rain, then snow, then rain again. There was very strong winds too. My street was covered with ice and I couldn't leave, as I'm in a dead end and the only way out of the street is strough a steep slope.

Many people couldn't go to work today because of that.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

Oh and we had just gotten like one or two inches of snow on the ground two nights before. By the end of today, everything was melted and green again.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Weird... it's just been really warm here, rarely dipping below -10 and consistantly being 5 degrees above average.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Here we got Wind and -22C
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

On this side of the Atlantic we have -30 degrees Celsius and wind makes that feel like -35. This time last year we didn't even have snow.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well the meterologists are now pointing to the La Nina event taking place in the south Pacific off the western South American Coast. The waters are cooling and when that happens the jet airstream in the North American continent is pushed further north, thus blocking the artic air. The warmer gulf air can reach as far as lower Canada.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote