Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2001, 07:22 PM   #1
Blade
Emerald Dragon

I'm talking about textbooks and the like here. Post your examples of confusing texts so we can all see. here is my example from my networking class (cisco systems)

6.1 Router Configuration Files
6.1.2 Working with release 11.x configuration files

Router configuration information can be generated by several means. You can use the privileged EXEC configure command to configure from a virtual (remote) terminal, a modem connection, or a console terminal. This allows you to enter changes to an existing configuration at any time. You can also use the privileged EXEC configure command to load a configuration from a network TFTP server, which allows you to maintain and store configuration information at a central site. The following list describes briefly some of the configuration commands:
configure terminal -- configures manually from the console terminal
configure memory -- loads configuration information from NVRAM
copy tftp running-config -- loads configuration information from a network TFTP server into RAM
show running-config -- displays the current configuration in RAM
copy running-config startup-config -- stores the current configuration from RAM into NVRAM
copy running-config tftp -- stores the current configuration from RAM on a network TFTP server
show startup-config -- displays the saved configuration, which is the contents of NVRAM
erase startup-config -- erases the contents of NVRAM

------------------
Life and death are mearly shadows of the complexity of humans
Old 09-04-2001, 07:28 PM   #2
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

------------------
Calvin the bold - the malt beer lord is in!
Old 09-04-2001, 07:31 PM   #3
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Here is something from there a little less confusing but still agrivating enough to give me headaches.

Each individual OSI layer has a set of functions that it must perform in order for data packets to travel from a source to a destination on a network. Below is a brief description of each layer in the OSI reference model as shown in the Figure.

Layer 7: The Application Layer
The application layer is the OSI layer that is closest to the user; it provides network services to the user?s applications. It differs from the other layers in that it does not provide services to any other OSI layer, but rather, only to applications outside the OSI model. Examples of such applications are spreadsheet programs, word processing programs, and bank terminal programs. The application layer establishes the availability of intended communication partners, synchronizes and establishes agreement on procedures for error recovery and control of data integrity. If you want to remember Layer 7 in as few words as possible, think of browsers.

Layer 6: The Presentation Layer
The presentation layer ensures that the information that the application layer of one system sends out is readable by the application layer of another system. If necessary, the presentation layer translates between multiple data formats by using a common format. If you want to think of Layer 6 in as few words as possible, think of a common data format.

Layer 5: The Session Layer
As its name implies, the session layer establishes, manages, and terminates sessions between two communicating hosts. The session layer provides its services to the presentation layer. It also synchronizes dialogue between the two hosts' presentation layers and manages their data exchange. In addition to session regulation, the session layer offers provisions for efficient data transfer, class of service, and exception reporting of session layer, presentation layer, and application layer problems. If you want to remember Layer 5 in as few words as possible, think of dialogues and conversations.

Layer 4: The Transport Layer
The transport layer segments data from the sending host's system and reassembles the data into a data stream on the receiving host's system. The boundary between the transport layer and the session layer can be thought of as the boundary between application protocols and data-flow protocols. Whereas the application, presentation, and session layers are concerned with application issues, the lower four layers are concerned with data transport issues.

The transport layer attempts to provide a data transport service that shields the upper layers from transport implementation details. Specifically, issues such as how reliable transport between two hosts is accomplished is the concern of the transport layer. In providing communication service, the transport layer establishes, maintains, and properly terminates virtual circuits. In providing reliable service, transport error detection-and-recovery and information flow control are used. If you want to remember Layer 4 in as few words as possible, think of quality of service, and reliability.

Layer 3: The Network Layer
The network layer is a complex layer that provides connectivity and path selection between two host systems that may be located on geographically separated networks. If you want to remember Layer 3 in as few words as possible, think of path selection, routing, and addressing.

Layer 2: The Data Link Layer
The data link layer provides reliable transit of data across a physical link. In so doing, the data link layer is concerned with physical (as opposed to logical) addressing, network topology, network access, error notification, ordered delivery of frames, and flow control. If you want to remember Layer 2 in as few words as possible, think of frames and media access control.

Layer 1: The Physical Layer
The physical layer defines the electrical, mechanical, procedural, and functional specifications for activating, maintaining, and deactivating the physical link between end systems. Such characteristics as voltage levels, timing of voltage changes, physical data rates, maximum transmission distances, physical connectors, and other, similar, attributes are defined by physical layer specifications. If you want to remember Layer 1 in as few words as possible, think of signals and media.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 07:36 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, yes, the good ol' OSI "Layered Communications" model. What are you studying, Blade? Data Communications, or Topology? I'm just finishing up teaching a class on Topology, and then I teach TCP/IP next session (starting next week)...whooboy!

Oh, duh, now I see...you're taking a course on Cisco. "Read the whole post, Saz..." Fun stuff!

Poor Debiler...need a handkerchief there?

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 07:38 PM   #5
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Fun yes very confusing extreamly seting up network seting up routers and swithches and making cables and installing wireing memorizing and remembering it is all a big pain.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 07:41 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, well, I like it, too. It's a bit tough at first, but you get used to it. Wiring TP cable was interesting...even better was troubleshooting it. We did get into WAN systems, and I showed them how to configure xDSL connections and prep punchdown blocks for T1 lines...everyone was fascinated. Looks like I'm going to get a lot of A's and B's out of that course...one C. Older guy, but he tries hard.

Best of luck to you! CCNE's can make some dough!

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 07:46 PM   #7
Blade
Emerald Dragon

AA TP cabiling and puchblocks i remember them so long ago (last semester). Just starting into semester 2 and advanced router configurations aaac to many comandes to remember. Also yes they do make some dough one reason I'm trying to complete the cources in time to get a job for colage.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 07:58 PM   #8
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Funny enough, I understood Blade's first post, but that second one had my eyes crossing, reminded me of my last tax form booklet I read! ACK! Speaka de English palease!

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 08:32 PM   #9
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Sad ain't it and i have to know it inside and out to the last. Been studing it for
A semester and a half and just fully getting it.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 10:45 PM   #10
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Does anyone but Sazerac and me get the network layers stuff?

------------------