Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2001, 11:57 AM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
That sounds full on Epona. Hope you get some rest soon.

I'll be OK once I get some sleep. Resolved a whole load of ongoing work issues today, so that's a lot of stress dealt with! Probably won't happen again for months.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-03-2001, 12:05 PM   #12
Moni

I hope not!
That must be a terrible source of suffering! I don't know what to say Epona! I really feel for you!
*Hugs*

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-03-2001, 12:07 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

This sounds terrible, Epona! I'm glad at least it doesn't happen too often!
Bahamut if you'd read the site you'd know that fears/traumas that you haven't yet worked out are not the cause of this disorder...
It must be irritating to have people think it's psychological instead of physical... Again, I'm happy for you it's so infrequent as it sounds bloody scary
Good luck!!

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH,
the HADB and the SPAE(Society for the
Prevention of Acronym Extinction) &
Sultry Elflet

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-03-2001, 12:31 PM   #14
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

It must be irritating to have people think it's psychological instead of physical... Again, I'm happy for you it's so infrequent as it sounds bloody scary
Good luck!!

Most people think that when you first explain it! I know that Bahamut is just concerned about me though, which doesn't irritate me in the slightest!

Some of the stories on the website I posted a link to are much worse than what I go through - On the whole I tend to stay in bed and cower under the covers rather than leap out of bed and run through plate glass windows (I would put LOL, but it isn't in the least bit funny when you think about it).

It used to be a lot worse before I knew what it was - I really did think I was going mad - because the first thing you think is that it must be psychological! That was what really frightened me, but now I can rationalise what is happening to some extent I deal with it a lot better. I now view it with interest rather than dread.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-03-2001, 12:41 PM   #15
Blade
Emerald Dragon

If it doesn't scare you too much just think of it as a free Horror flick every now and then only in the first person. But i think i would be scared every time it happened to me, sorry that you have such a problem nice people in my opinion shuldn't get problems like that.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:58 PM   #16
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I have discussed this briefly here before, but for those that don't know - I suffer from Night Terrors. This is visual/audio disturbance (hallucination) caused by abnormal electical activity in a particular part of the brain which occurs within the first 30 minutes or so after falling asleep. It is not a dream, because you wake up, then the hallucination happens.

Well last night I was under attack from giant flying insects ALL NIGHT! (no, I don't do drugs, and I'm not mad either. It's a bit like a type of epilepsy that only starts when you're asleep!!)
I could hear their wings beating, I could see them swooping at my head, I could feel their legs brushing against my face. It was awful! I kept huddling under the covers, yelling for help, with my heartrate at about 120, barely able to breath. It happened at least 3 times, each time about an hour after the last, so I barely got any sleep - it takes a while to calm down after an attack.

Anyone else get this? It's kinda difficult to explain without sounding completely insane!

Here is a link to a site about the conditions in case anyone thinks I'm making this up:
http://www.nightterrors.org/

Good God Epona, that sounds so horrible, not kidding here. I have heard of night terrors before, but thought they were just extremely vivid nightmares, did not know that they were hallucinations brought on after you wake up. That has to be a tough thing to deal with. There is nothing you can do about them? No medication you can take before going to bed? When you have these night terrors, since you have had them for so long, do you in some ways mentally know that they are not real? I ask this because I have frequent nightmares, dreaming ones though not night terrors, and have had these nightmares for so long that in some ways in the dream I know it is not real, even though the emotions all seem to still be there even though I know that, if that makes sense. Just wondering if it is the same way with you?

------------------
Old 09-03-2001, 09:08 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh Epona! I have heard of this problem and I have much sympathy for those that suffer it. I hope you do manage to sleep some more soon! Must be awful trying to function on so little sleep AND all that adrenalin rushing about!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-03-2001, 11:28 PM   #18
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Must be horrible..
But I know what you mean by certain electrical patterns in your brain causing you to see things and feel things that really are'nt there..
I've woken up in the dead of night and felt presences and been unable to move a muscle, while being awake, and I've seen things before that I know can't be real..
I feel for you man, it sucks. You can't sleep the whole night. I believe I saw a show where they experimented with sorta..changing a person's brain's electrical pattern in both left brain and right brain with radiation. In the left brain, it was possible to feel presences or sense things that were'nt there, but in the right brain, the subjects often reported visions and images that were truely terrifying in ever sense of the word, like being taken into hell, or being attacked by demons and such. Probably Hallucination, but terrifying ones at that!

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 09-03-2001, 11:45 PM   #19
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Hello, hello, Epona!

I'm sorry to hear about your night!
(I hope this doesn't happen often)
Hopefully tonight will be better!

------------------

Proud new member of LH!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:58 PM   #20
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Good God Epona, that sounds so horrible, not kidding here. I have heard of night terrors before, but thought they were just extremely vivid nightmares, did not know that they were hallucinations brought on after you wake up. That has to be a tough thing to deal with. There is nothing you can do about them? No medication you can take before going to bed? When you have these night terrors, since you have had them for so long, do you in some ways mentally know that they are not real? I ask this because I have frequent nightmares, dreaming ones though not night terrors, and have had these nightmares for so long that in some ways in the dream I know it is not real, even though the emotions all seem to still be there even though I know that, if that makes sense. Just wondering if it is the same way with you?
I know what you mean about familiar nightmares, LadyZekke. You ARE partly aware you are only dreaming! But I have gone one better - I now have the ability to wake myself up just as it is about to get REALLY nasty!
I had this really horrible nightmare that there was an apallingly evil 'something' in the bedroom, getting closer and closer to me - then it seized hold of my hand and my hand turned icy cold and I nearly died of terror. In the dream, I knew that the only way of escape was to say god's name out loud (I was a JW at the time), so I struggled and struggled to speak, even though my mouth felt paralysed. Eventually, I managed a shout and woke up (I really DID shout - I heard myself as I woke). My hand was outside the bedcover and right up against a cold radiator, lol! Ever since then, I have been able to wake up from nightmares at will.
I don't recommend the treatment, though!

------------------