Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2001, 06:48 AM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

HMmmmmmmmmm one of the major mysteries of life is the conflict between whether it is SPAM or MAPS. Well of course it is theoritically possible for it to be both as SPAM = MAPS spelt backwards and vice versa. Of course this is a totally impossible subject to resolve in one life time as pertaining to its utmost importance but hey you have to try and find the meaning of SPAM right?
And Javi i expect you to reply to this!

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-28-2001, 07:11 AM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

THE HISTORY OF SPAM
Hormel developed America's first canned ham (''Hormel Flavor-Sealed Ham'') in 1926, and eleven years later developed the first canned meat product that did not require refrigeration. It was a ''distinctive chopped pork shoulder and ham mixture'' developed by Jay C. Hormel, son of Hormel founder George A. Hormel, and marketed as ''Hormel Spiced Ham'' - not a terribly inspiring name for an innovative product fated to save lives, win wars, and balance diets of people world wide.

Hormel Spiced Ham got off to a slightly rocky start. Other meatpackers began to introduce their own canned luncheon meats, and Hormel lost its controlling share of the market. Soon, however, they came up with a cunning plan to rectify this situation - they would give Hormel's luncheon meat a truly catchy name. Toward this end, they offered $100 for a suitable appellation. The winning name was, of course, ''SPAM'', and a legend was born.

SPAM was launched with much high-profile advertising in mid-1937. It was called ''the Miracle Meat'', and promoted as an anytime meat. In 1940, SPAM was the subject of quite possibly the first singing commercial. The jingle was to the tune of the chorus of ''My Bonny Lies Over The Ocean'', and the lyrics were ''SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM/ Hormel's new miracle meat in a can/ Tastes fine, saves time./ If you want something grand,/ Ask for SPAM!''. Hormel also sponsored George Burns' and Gracie Allen's network radio show, which included ''Spammy the Pig''. During World War II, sales boomed. Not only was SPAM great for the military, as it required no refrigeration, it wasn't rationed as beef was, so it became a prime staple in American meals. SPAM supported the war effort more directly, too. Nikita Kruschev credits SPAM with the survival of the Russian Army during WWII. During the late 1940s and early 1950s, the Hormel Girls performing troupe advertised SPAM as they performed throughout the country, distributed SPAM door-to-door, and even had a national weekly radio show. Ads proclaimed, ''Cold or hot, SPAM hits the spot!''

In 1960, SPAM began to be sold in 7 oz cans alonside the original 12 oz ones. SPAM began to spawn variations in 1971, when smoke-flavored SPAM was introduced. Next came less salt/sodium SPAM, in 1986, and with it the honour of being considered ''state of the art in its industry'' by the Minnesota Association of Commerce and Industry." In the early 1990s, SPAM Breakfast Strips were introduced, as was SPAM lite. Unfortunately in the 90's spam was seen as poor mans food, gross, useless, and came in bulk. Hence people started using it to describe mass emails sent by solicitors and useless messages from posters. I myself am a advocate for a new refreshing look at spam. What awaits us on the spam front? only time and useless threads will tell.

------------------
BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
Old 05-28-2001, 08:07 AM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
THE HISTORY OF SPAM
Hormel developed America's first canned ham (''Hormel Flavor-Sealed Ham'') in 1926, and eleven years later developed the first canned meat product that did not require refrigeration. It was a ''distinctive chopped pork shoulder and ham mixture'' developed by Jay C. Hormel, son of Hormel founder George A. Hormel, and marketed as ''Hormel Spiced Ham'' - not a terribly inspiring name for an innovative product fated to save lives, win wars, and balance diets of people world wide.

Hormel Spiced Ham got off to a slightly rocky start. Other meatpackers began to introduce their own canned luncheon meats, and Hormel lost its controlling share of the market. Soon, however, they came up with a cunning plan to rectify this situation - they would give Hormel's luncheon meat a truly catchy name. Toward this end, they offered $100 for a suitable appellation. The winning name was, of course, ''SPAM'', and a legend was born.

SPAM was launched with much high-profile advertising in mid-1937. It was called ''the Miracle Meat'', and promoted as an anytime meat. In 1940, SPAM was the subject of quite possibly the first singing commercial. The jingle was to the tune of the chorus of ''My Bonny Lies Over The Ocean'', and the lyrics were ''SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM/ Hormel's new miracle meat in a can/ Tastes fine, saves time./ If you want something grand,/ Ask for SPAM!''. Hormel also sponsored George Burns' and Gracie Allen's network radio show, which included ''Spammy the Pig''. During World War II, sales boomed. Not only was SPAM great for the military, as it required no refrigeration, it wasn't rationed as beef was, so it became a prime staple in American meals. SPAM supported the war effort more directly, too. Nikita Kruschev credits SPAM with the survival of the Russian Army during WWII. During the late 1940s and early 1950s, the Hormel Girls performing troupe advertised SPAM as they performed throughout the country, distributed SPAM door-to-door, and even had a national weekly radio show. Ads proclaimed, ''Cold or hot, SPAM hits the spot!''

In 1960, SPAM began to be sold in 7 oz cans alonside the original 12 oz ones. SPAM began to spawn variations in 1971, when smoke-flavored SPAM was introduced. Next came less salt/sodium SPAM, in 1986, and with it the honour of being considered ''state of the art in its industry'' by the Minnesota Association of Commerce and Industry." In the early 1990s, SPAM Breakfast Strips were introduced, as was SPAM lite. Unfortunately in the 90's spam was seen as poor mans food, gross, useless, and came in bulk. Hence people started using it to describe mass emails sent by solicitors and useless messages from posters. I myself am a advocate for a new refreshing look at spam. What awaits us on the spam front? only time and useless threads will tell.

This could be the topic of your next school assignment like an English essay on history of SPAM.....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-28-2001, 12:40 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Hey Azure... why should i reply here ???

OK, OK... now i have... happy ?? Remember, its our secret

------------------
"TEEHEE !!!!" -The Mighty CloudQueen, to Ertai
Old 05-28-2001, 12:44 PM   #5
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Hey Azure... why should i reply here ???

OK, OK... now i have... happy ?? Remember, its our secret

hey i was bored alright!!!
the board is quiet early in the night for me. Have to get my entertainment somewhere and I will not do it the way Memnoch suggests!!!

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-28-2001, 01:33 PM   #6
Rikard

Real Madrid = Dirdam Laer
Barcelona = Anolecrab
Eindhoven = Nevohdnie
Manchester United = Detinu Retsehcnam
City = Ytic Retsehcnam
Liverpool = Looprevil
Feyenoord = Drooneyef
Etienne = Enneite
AC Milan = Nalim'ca
AS Roma = Amor'sa
Lazio = Oizal
Fiorentina = Anitneroif
Valencia = Aicnelav
Deportivo = Ovitroped
Coventry = Yrtnevoc

Has anyone notest turning around names of Football clubs is a great way to make up names for you party?

------------------

Help me create A Fantasy Realm with your imagination

Old 05-28-2001, 01:57 PM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Only now, Rickard! How about 'Ytic Mahgnimrib'? or 'Alliv Notsa' or 'Srerednaw Notpmahrevlow', lol!?

------------------

Old 05-28-2001, 02:18 PM   #8
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Only now, Rickard! How about 'Ytic Mahgnimrib'? or 'Alliv Notsa' or 'Srerednaw Notpmahrevlow', lol!?

The Wolves get a bit to complicated don't you think????????????????
ah well

Etnewt

------------------

Help me create A Fantasy Realm with your imagination

Old 05-28-2001, 03:54 PM   #9
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You really were bored, weren't you Azzie?

------------------
O_H_F

Old 05-28-2001, 04:45 PM   #10
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I have waaaaaaaay to much time on my hands - hence I present SPAM HAIKUS!!!!!

Pink tender morsel,
Glistening with salty gel.
What the hell is it?

-----------

Ears, snouts and innards,
A homogeneous mass.
Pass another slice.

-----------

Cube of cold pinkness
Yellow specks of porcine fat.
Give me a spork please.

------------