Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2001, 12:48 PM   #1
Conan

You all have helped me so much with technical help in your areas of expertise, I want to help by answering your questions about your needs in repairing, cutting, assembleing..etc. in this area. Plastics, and metals also. Post it here and I will give you an answer. Be patient thow, I have to go on a moments notice and am running most of the time.
Conan

------------------

Old 06-07-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Im trying to save money on a new house so is it alright to build the second floor with regular materials and the first floor with balsa wood, partical board, and stucco

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!

[This message has been edited by caleb (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 12:53 PM   #3
Conan

Still mad at me for makeing dough-nuts out of the bisquit boy I see...sorry I did that. I'll be good. Serious now.

Old 06-07-2001, 12:57 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Great! Can you help me with my Dining room problem? It has to do with whether I should paint the walls or wall-paper them.
I tore down the old walls to find board underneath. They of course are nailed to the mainframe. They have 1/2" slits in between the planks. I wanted to use wall putty to cover the nails and fill in the slits, then paint. I already have one coat of Kills Primer on it (water based.) Of course, the wall is not as smooth as a baby's bottom, so I was wondering if after doing all the prep. work to it, if I just triple coated it with a satin Finish overcoat of paint would smooth it up. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

------------------

Larry,
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Old 06-07-2001, 01:04 PM   #5
Conan

I would suggest forget all that prep-work Larry, and re-drywall that particular spot. Your house must be an older one to have tounge and groove walls. Dry wall is cheap and you will end up with a great finish either for paint or paper.

Old 06-07-2001, 01:12 PM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

A day late and a dollar short. Oh well.

I wish I had seen this thread before I built a wooden swingset for the kids. Last weekend was quite exhausting. Especially the trip to the ER as I missed a nail and hit my finger. BTW it's healing rather nicely.

I'll try and keep this thread bookmarked for future reference. Thanks in advance Conan. I'm sure I'll be by to bug you later

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:15 PM   #7
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Better then my grandfather burning himself WIELDING a metal swingset together

------------------

BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
Old 06-07-2001, 01:28 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
I would suggest forget all that prep-work Larry, and re-drywall that particular spot. Your house must be an older one to have tounge and groove walls. Dry wall is cheap and you will end up with a great finish either for paint or paper.
You are right, it was built in the fifty's. Damn thing don't even have ground wiring on any circuits...(if you know wiring tips, please inform...).
Anyway, you are saying that I could not ull it off and make this work at all??

------------------

Larry,
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Devoted member of the Ironworks
Only member of the Elite Bodyguard to Rikard (the fool that takes the bullet)
Ertai's back-up
Memnoch's chief look-out
Member of the Ancients club
Witness of the 4,000th post by Cloudposter
Old 06-07-2001, 01:56 PM   #9
Conan

Over the long haul re-drywalling will be the best idea. The filler that you will use will shrink over time and be noticeable. A house in that age range should be quite settled but the wood in your walls will expand and contract as the seasons change. dry-walling and tapeing the joints will prevent any of that from going on. Good Luck, let me know!

------------------

Old 06-07-2001, 05:45 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

How do I make rafters? I want to build a house. I just bought a ballpeen hammer, do I need to get one of those nailgun things?