Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 02:14 PM   #11
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I will try these now, ,thanks!
I will return and report
Old 10-29-2003, 03:55 PM   #12
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

AHA! Euraka! I may have discovered the problem! The Start Folder had an item in it named "MSUPDATER.exe"

Exact pathway was C:/Documents&Settings/AllUsers/StartMenu/Prog/startup

I searched it's properties to discover that it had been created last week. I deleted it, thinking that it did not have anything to do with the real system, and so far, I have not noticed any winshow or 6cc1c918... files appear. My browser protector is not warning about anything, either. The registry seems clean.

By the way, there was another file associated with Winshow. It was called Search Assistant. It usually held some figures that ran along-side winshow. I deleted all searchassistant files along with the rest, from both mine and my wife's login settings on WinXP. I had the internet disengaged when I did this. I had alrady downloaded that update from microsoft that closed that hole. This was taking advantage of my PC in a different way than that.

It seems to be gone now.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:52 PM   #13
WillowIX
Apophis

Glad you finally got rid of it. [img]smile.gif[/img] When I googled I managed to find the contact address to the company supplying this "service". You could send them an email telling them about the excellent service they have provided you with.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:37 PM   #14
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Willow, to me, there is something incredibly attractive about your latest avatar. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 06:36 AM   #15
WillowIX
Apophis

Aww Ronn, you certainly know how to make a girl blush. [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

BTW Larry, found this on my list of start-up programs
Quote:
From http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk
MSupdater.exe - CoolWebSearch hijacker related. Installs the Winshow.dll browser plugin
If you are using Norton AV it should have quarantined the file.