Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I just found out today that a friend of mine killed himself this weekend. 45 years old, attorney, his daughter is a sophomore in college in town and lives in my building. Apparently, he had boughts with depression before some years ago. He recently split up with his 27-yr-old Quebequa girlfriend -- though it seems to me this would not have been determinative to him. He had a band and they cut a demo CD, I have a copy at home -- pretty good. He was cynical and hated the legal profession, but still seemed to have joia de vivre (spelling?).

Anyway, sad news all around.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Damn, nothing in your description leads to any reason for suicide. It's funny you know, some people have perfectly good lives and still think about suicide. Personally I've never thought about suicide, but I often think I wouldn't care if something killed me, as long as it wasn't painful.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Terrible news, Timber

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Personally I've never thought about suicide, but I often think I wouldn't care if something killed me, as long as it wasn't painful.
Pretty much my view. If it was painless, I could probably handle it. Only regret would be not saying a 'see ya on the other side' to my friends and family.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
Donut
Jack Burton

Sad news indeed. A friend of mine did the same thing last year for no apparent reason. She was 32 with two little girls under 6.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #5
MagiK

Sorry for your loss TL. It would appear, that you just never know what is going on in someone elses head.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Sorry Timber,

The worst part of depression is the way it isolates the rest of the world. Now his poor family and friends are going to be so traumatized forever. There are no good answers...hopefully his daughter will be okay.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Raistlin Majere
Ra

sorry from me too...it is indeed strange how the human mind works. i also have a view as to not caring really about death if its painless. sometimes ive even pondered what the point in living really is, though ive never considered suicide.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 05-22-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Whats everyones problem with pain? I dont care if I die slow and painful or quick and painless.
It really sucks about your friend man, but I guess if we were meant to understand these things then there wouldnt be such a thing as suicide.
And I cant remember who said it but theres is no wrong or right reason to commit suicide, it is done because one cannot take it anymore, anything can push someone to this point.
Anyway, my thoughts are with his family,
J.W.K
Old 05-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #9
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I am awfully sorry to hear that, TL. I have some experience with that topic and know how much that can shock and rattle you.
So long !<br /><br />Rł aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-22-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Timber. Please accept my deepest condolescences and extend them to his daughter and family as well. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

Donut - I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss as well. If you mentioned it before, then I must have missed it. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

I pray that both thier souls may find the peace that was missing from their lives.