Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2002, 04:31 PM   #61
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
I asked if a Muslims faith in God weighed as much as a Christians.

What was the assumption?
That it's the same God.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-22-2002, 04:32 PM   #62
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
To the Gas! Is that what will provide an end to debate? If the Nazis had won the second world war and a systematic 'what if' of genocide was carried out upon the illegitemate peoples of the Earth.. wouldn't the Earth be such a peaceful place if we were all Aryans?
I do not believe so.

If two people who love each other cannot coexist without conflict, what hope is there of world peace? Two brothers, a man and his wife, best friends, neighbours. All connected, bound together, desiring peace, yet fighting amongst each other from time to time. Some chronicly, others latently, others sporadically.

Conflict is an inevitable part of the human experience. What matters is how you deal with, and resolve that conflict - not making sure it does not occur at all.
[/QUOTE]That's absolutly spot on! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2002, 04:34 PM   #63
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
quote:
I asked if a Muslims faith in God weighed as much as a Christians.

What was the assumption?
That it's the same God.[/QUOTE]I never made the assumption. Both sides call their God God. And regardless of how the question was written.. i am pretty sure that you knew what i meant.

Let me re word it then.

Does a Muslims faith in their God weigh as much as a Christians faith in their own God?

[ 12-22-2002, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 12-22-2002, 04:43 PM   #64
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I used to believe Jews, Muslims and Christians all believed in the same God.

If you pray to the creator of the earth, you're praying to the God we all believe in right?

Then I read the Qu'ran.

It was like reading a letter that was said to be written by my brother, yet whose personality, writing style, values, desires and requirements were totally different.

So either there's a serious communication block between either God and the Biblical writers or God and Muhammad, or it wasn't God speaking to Muhammad or the Biblical writers.

This point concerned me.

When he first recieved his visions, Muhammad did not know whether it was God or a devil speaking to him. He sought advice from his wife who told him it was God speaking.

So, if he didn't know I certainly don't.

All I know is, the God of the Qu'ran seems like a different person to the God of the Bible, and the God who touches my life each day.

I still embrace a Muslim as a brother, and have had great exchanges. We are both still people of faith, and both believe in a single creator of the universe.

Rock and roll.... Life's an interesting ride.

I hope I don't get a fatwah put on me for speaking these things..

Ah, whatever. I'll just get to heaven sooner if so. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-22-2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 12-22-2002, 04:53 PM   #65
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
We are both still people of faith, and both believe in a single creator of the universe.
Excellent post Yorick.

The fact that they are different Gods did not matter to me when i posed that question. I asked about faith in God when I really meant faith in < insert your God here > compared to < insert their God here >. Is one man/womans faith stronger than another man/womans. If you both have faith.. then you both have faith. They weigh the same.

[ 12-22-2002, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 12-22-2002, 05:01 PM   #66
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
We are both still people of faith, and both believe in a single creator of the universe.
Excellent post Yorick.

The fact that they are different Gods did not matter to me when i posed that question. I asked about faith in God when I really meant faith in < insert your God here >. Is one man/womans faith stronger than another man/womans. If you both have faith.. then you both have faith. They weigh the same.
[/QUOTE]That would be relative to the individual though wouldn't it?

1.What is the strength of the persons faith in the face of doubt and uncertainty?

2.What is the effect on the persons life? Does it change them at the core providing positive enhancement and life skills or is it detrimental to their being?

Faith involves a fluctuation of belief. Faith is actually strongest when belief is weakest. It takes little faith to believe that a table is real if you just hit your head. It takes considerably more faith to believe your girlfriend loves you if she slept with someone else.

So, presuming the applicable religion allows free thinking and exploration, it would be the same as any other religion that allows the same. I can only speak of my own, but I've found enormous personal liberty within my relationship with God.

Regarding #2 this is trickier. Would we say that an Islamic suicide terrorists faith is enhancing their life?

[ 12-22-2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Old 12-22-2002, 05:04 PM   #67
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hey thanks for the Kudos BTW. Right back at you. Respect and peace to you brother. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I can be dry and matter of fact when writing ideas, but really I'm a smiley person who enjoys discourse and dialogue.

This is me: www.hughwilson.biz

Good talking with you Djinn. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2002, 05:18 PM   #68
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Excellent post Yorick.

The fact that they are different Gods did not matter to me when i posed that question. I asked about faith in God when I really meant faith in < insert your God here >. Is one man/womans faith stronger than another man/womans. If you both have faith.. then you both have faith. They weigh the same.
[/QUOTE]That would be relative to the individual though wouldn't it?

1.What is the strength of the persons faith in the face of doubt and uncertainty?

2.What is the effect on the persons life? Does it change them at the core providing positive enhancement and life skills or is it detrimental to their being?

Faith involves a fluctuation of belief. Faith is actually strongest when belief is weakest. It takes little faith to believe that a table is real if you just hit your head. It takes considerably more faith to believe your girlfriend loves you if she slept with someone else.

So, presuming the applicable religion allows free thinking and exploration, it would be the same as any other religion that allows the same. I can only speak of my own, but I've found enormous personal liberty within my relationship with God.

Regarding #2 this is trickier. Would we say that an Islamic suicide terrorists faith is enhancing their life?
[/QUOTE]Good talking to you to.

And you are right.. regarding #2... that is a tricky one. To be honest i would think that for that suicide terrorist.. yes his/her faith is enhancing their life. Unfortunatly his/her faith is dis-enhancing (i need a better word) others very lives. And we end up right back where we started...
Old 12-23-2002, 05:09 AM   #69
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Hey thanks for the Kudos BTW. Right back at you. Respect and peace to you brother. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I can be dry and matter of fact when writing ideas, but really I'm a smiley person who enjoys discourse and dialogue.

This is me: www.hughwilson.biz

Good talking with you Djinn. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Blatant self-promotion!!

[ 12-23-2002, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 12-23-2002, 05:21 AM   #70
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hey Hugh - I think I have found your living double - he doesn't look like you at all, but he sleeps in till mid afternoon and he destroys electric appliances by glancing at them - he ain't heavy though - he's my brother [img]smile.gif[/img]