Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 12:40 PM   #101
MagiK

Ummm I would not consider anyone who is willing to blow themselves up to take out a bunch of innocent civilains as being "Sane"

Old 12-27-2002, 12:46 PM   #102
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Ummm I would not consider anyone who is willing to blow themselves up to take out a bunch of innocent civilains as being "Sane"
I was thinking the same thing. I don't care what their religeon promises them. The fact that they believe that they'll go to paradise for "offering" their lifes IS insane. Blind believe is never sane, don't these guys have a mind of their own ?
Old 12-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #103
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Hmm, I believe they were sane, merely highly motivated with hatred and zeal. What I despise is their despair, to think that it was so impossible to defeat our military forces that they targeted civilians. That is what made them cowards, not their willingness to die: their fear that they could not win against our armed forces.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:15 PM   #104
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Blind belief is encouraged in many religions - and can always develop in sub-religious sects. I remember one of the tenets of Baptism I was taught as a boy was not to question God or the bible. I found this insulting - to me and the religion. In my mind, if I were God, I would *want* everyone to question me and discovery my rightness for themselves. "Don't ask why" implies "because I can't back up what I'm saying."

[ 12-27-2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 12-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #105
MagiK

Attalus...it may be semantics here..but I consider that level of hate and intensity to be rather un-sane [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2002, 03:19 PM   #106
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Blind belief is encouraged in many religions - and can always develop in sub-religious sects. I remember one of the tenets of Baptism I was taught as a boy was not to question God or the bible. I found this insulting - to me and the religion. In my mind, if I were God, I would *want* everyone to question me and discovery my rightness for themselves. "Don't ask why" implies "because I can't back up what I'm saying."
Im in total agreement with ya there guy! God gave me a brain, I suspect he expects me to use it.

Old 12-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #107
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Attalus...it may be semantics here..but I consider that level of hate and intensity to be rather un-sane [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes, I can see that. The level and intensity of the hatred is certainly imbalanced, causing them to distort their view of reality.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:03 AM   #108
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

This point concerned me.

When he first recieved his visions, Muhammad did not know whether it was God or a devil speaking to him. He sought advice from his wife who told him it was God speaking.

So, if he didn't know I certainly don't.

Hmm.. is this some kind of metaphor for the great Unknown.. I wonder if it is presumptious to think that all Muhammad's primitive mind could comprehend was Gods and Devils... Could Allah be some kind of metaphor for all that is unsaid? Muhammad did not know what he saw.. his wife did not see it but guessed it from his description.. What did Muhammad see out in the desert? I wonder if in the desert Muhammad had some kind of Vision of God.. but why would his wife try to sway his path afterwards? After witnessing an Angel you would think that the encounter would just melt your brain from the sheer holiness of it and that would be it.. you would be like.. blinded by the light or something! Perhaps his wife feared for her husband's sanity and tried to say: No no.. you didn't see God.. that was the Devil.. definetly not God...

And if it was a Devil.. Would a Devil try to destroy the world??? ..i guess it would.. Shouldn't we in the west just have a Crusade and smash the heads of those heathen dogs back into the sand! Beat that Devil and his servant back at every pass.

EDIT> Or should we hold fast and rest.. and let the Devil multiply..

[ 12-28-2002, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 12-28-2002, 05:43 AM   #109
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
[QBAnd if it was a Devil.. Would a Devil try to destroy the world??? ..i guess it would.. Shouldn't we in the west just have a Crusade and smash the heads of those heathen dogs back into the sand! Beat that Devil and his servant back at every pass.
..[/QB]
You fight fire with water, fear with love, hate with information.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-28-2002, 05:48 AM   #110
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
What I despise is their despair, to think that it was so impossible to defeat our military forces that they targeted civilians. That is what made them cowards, not their willingness to die: their fear that they could not win against our armed forces.
Again, this is a view that shows misunderstanding of the mindset of the terrorists.

AMerican civilians are a "fair target" because America is loudly proclaimed as being a democracy. Ruled by the people. Civilians are therefore seen as part of the decisionmaking process, and thus fair targets.

The west looks at Iraq in exactly the opposite fashion, laying all the blame on the feet of one man, Saddam, precisely because it is NOT a democracy, but a dictatorship.

THe reality of course is between both extremes. Saddams people for numerous reasons including fear, support his rule, and the AMerican public are excluded from many decisions the government makes.

But can you not see that the world is not perceived the same way by everyone?

http://www.hughwilson.com