Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2002, 12:24 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quoted from Here:

Quote:
No official 3D support in Icewind Dale II: So I'm getting myself ready for flaming, but unfortunately in the retail version of Icewind Dale II, 3D mode will not be supported. Based on the schedule of the game, we had to make decisions about what we wanted to focus our limited bug-fixing energy on and we felt that that energy should be put onto making sure the new rules and features we implemented worked as best as possible. Converting from 2E w/kits to 3E was a big gigantic undertaking - one that made the programming team put in 16-18 hour days with almost no days off for nearly four months. (I suppose that's normal for development sometimes... yikes)

Icewind Dale II took under a year to make from start to finish, and we made so many fixes and changes to the engine in that period of time. 3D, albeit interesting, still had a number of graphical and speed issues that would have required a fair amount of attention, so we took 3D support out of it in the final version.

Hopefully this won't discourage your impressions of the game, it's just one of those decisions we hate to make that had to be made.
So, what are they saying?
No shiney water? No detailed shadowing? What?

[ 08-02-2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-03-2002, 01:45 AM   #2
Seraph
Quintesson

After NwN and Dungeon Seige, I've come to the conclusion that making an RPG look pretty is very low on the list of features that'll make me get a game. I'd rather they make a good game, than a fancy looking one.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 10:51 PM   #3
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
After NwN and Dungeon Seige, I've come to the conclusion that making an RPG look pretty is very low on the list of features that'll make me get a game. I'd rather they make a good game, than a fancy looking one.
I couldn't agree more, anyone up for a game of manic miner?
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote