Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Debate on Gun Rights In House Turns Racial

Quote:
Yesterday's debate suddenly veered from guns to race when Cubin (R-Wyoming) criticized a failed Democratic amendment that would have banned gun sales to drug addicts or people in drug treatment. After noting that her sons, ages 25 and 30, "are blond-haired and blue-eyed," she said: "One amendment today said we could not sell guns to anybody under drug treatment. So does that mean that if you go into a black community you can't sell any guns to any black person?"
Old 04-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I oppose any law that resticts gun sales based on anything less than a successful criminal sentence based on a crime of violence. Drug teatment/use programs, restraining orders, etc. are handed out indiscriminately by courts and/or other authorities and don't necessarily require criminal prosecution. This allows totally innocent people to be deprived of constitutional rights based entirely upon unsubstantiated accusations. For example, restraining orders are routinely given out during divorces to prevent potentially harrassing verbal contact. Businesses with drug testing programs can require employees whom they determine test positive to go to drug use programs if they wish to remain employed.

[ 04-10-2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 04-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #3
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I don't think it is wise to have a person with a history of violence or drug use should be able to carry one, because drugs can retard a person's thinking and they may use it. And with a history of violence, they may be tempted to use it. It doesn't go through race or anything like that, even a little kid can get ahold of it and fire it off. Just because someone is a different color than someone else doesn't mean anything.

[EDIT]Word Placement[/EDIT]

[ 04-10-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 04-11-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I agree with Kenneth, it's a gross overstatement to try and ban gun sales to people who have been required to undergo drug treatment, take for instance someone who maybe smoked up a little in high school, got busted, cleaned up and never looked back, but because the drug treatment is there on their record, they lose a constitutionally protected right.

If implemented (which I hope it isn't) I think a time limit should be included, ie if you've had to undergo treatment for drug abuse in the last 5 years.

as far as the racist remarks, they're unforgivable.