Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2002, 12:57 AM   #1
dale
Manshoon

I read about the light sword, with some folks saying it was one of the best swords in the game. Decided I wanted one, and so did a search of this board to figure out how to get it.

The most productive search was using the words "ghost", "light" and "sword".

Since I had just finished talking to the general, I donned my scuba gear and headed out to do battle with Nessie and then the Bayjin ghosts. ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK!

I think that I killed Nessie a half dozen times (each time entering the shallows from the underwater caves afresh). Davy Jones locker changed (but was never really great -- ended up with divine mail and a nice locket). For each Nessie kill, I probably approached the ghosts four or five times. I got up to three packets of goodies dropped. Every one of them had a (useless) ray gun and some other minor treasure. Not a single light sword to be found.

I gave up and went on to Bayjin.

Questions -- wonderings:

Does it matter which direction one approaches the ghosts? I came from the underwater caves. I think most of the light swords I read about were gotten by people who came from Bayjin and so hit the ghosts before Nessie.

Does level matter? My guys are levels 21-22, fairly high for this region.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:11 AM   #2
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I never got a light sword either. It's not in Davy's chest, that's where you can sometimes get Excalibur (the best sword). You then can go after the ghosts near the sunken ship. I must have reloaded 10 times and no light sword or shield, a lot of Vaporizors. These were useless to me (except for much moolah) because my party has no gadgeteer. It is random. You may have to try 20 times to get the light sword, or someone can get it at first try. Random. Happy hunting!
Old 03-08-2002, 02:12 AM   #3
ice3
Drow Warrior

Only the Ghosts near the sunked boat give a light Sword. Nessie and her chest can give Excaliber.

Juste save before you enter combat with the ghosts. Fight and see what they drop. You can spend several hours but I think in 20 times fighting you must do it. Also it seems that f you already have the *light* *shield* the chances are fewer to get the sword.

And yes the *light* *sword* is the best of the game. I personnaly never got it.

It also doesn't matter the side you approaches. The chest of Nessie is set when you enter the map. The monsters drop is generated when they die. So that's much more easy to get the sword from the gosts then the chest.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:42 AM   #4
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I got the "Excaliber" sword from "Nessie" chest (after 8 tries) and i get the *light* *sword* from Buccaners ghost after 12 tries and i come from the water caves.
Personely i thing the Excaliber sword are better than *light* *sword* so i put the *light* *sword* in my backpack and used the Excalber instead!
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #5
Zud
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Light Sword and Light Shield

The only place I encountered getting them in my 2 rounds of play was the chest in one of the Bayjin huts.

The first time I played, I got one Light shield and 3 Light swords from the ghosts at the sunken ship near nessie.

The biggest difference was that the first time I played the game I was using an unupgraded version

The second time thru with the patched version I think I reloaded and killed the ghosts at the ship 50 times and all I would get when they dropped treasure bags was the vaporiser.

So I have no proof, but I think if you have patched your version, you will not get the *light* items from the ship ghosts.

Please everyone else, help me confirm or deny this [img]smile.gif[/img]
Zud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 11:09 AM   #6
TYTONK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am also fighting the ghosts near the sunken ship in quest of the light sword. I have received the light shield three times already (saved once after receiving the light shield in case I get fed up with chasing the light sword). I have fought the ghosts about 15 times now but no luck. The worst is the fact that I have had battles where I have killed 7 ghosts and NOT ONE dropped anything at all!
TYTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 02:07 PM   #7
sloucho
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I can confirm that the light sword is still availabe from the buccaneer ghosts (even with the latest patch). In my 'power game,' I settled for 3 of them (though I initially had my heart set on 4).

The trick to getting A SINGLE light sword, unfortunately, is PATIENCE. If you don't have an entire evening to kill, you might want to consider using an editor and giving yourself one.

The trick to getting more than one light sword, as someone else on the board already pointed out, is LOTS OF PATIENCE in conjunction with the tactic of killing the ghosts one at a time.

My tactic:

I set up a portal just around the bend from the sunken ship in the tunnel before engaging the ghosts. Then I hit them with a couple of banish spells (both at level 6 or 7, if I remember correctly). That didn't kill any of them, but it took them all down to the 5-25 hit point range. Then I fled from them and waited for them to return to the ship (checking x-ray to monitor their progress).

Then I portaled back to the point where I was just around a corner from them (and out of sight) and power cast noxious fumes at level 7 at them. The spell usually did just enough damage to kill one ghost (though it sometimes killed two and, very rarely, took out three).

I poked my head around to see if the ghost had dropped a bag. If so, I checked the contents. WAY MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, I did not get a light sword. But when I did get a light sword, I simply kept my party moving, fled again, and portaled back to the spot around the bend when the ghosts returned to the ship.

Since four of my party members are sword users anyway, I wanted 4 light swords, but after spending way more time on this project than I had, I decided that the Ivory Blade wasn't such a huge step down from the light sword and gave up.
sloucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 05:04 PM   #8
(^_^)

I just used an editor to add a light sword after I didn't get one from the ghosts.

It's much faster than saving and reloading for 2 hrs, and it's cheating either way anyways [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #9
Megabot

As i say in my other post i get all the "goodies" and i have use all the patch`es so they have not removed the possibelity to get the *Light**Sword* or the other things but i might seems to me that it is a little harder to get thise things!
Old 03-08-2002, 09:25 PM   #10
Megabot

I just used an editor to add a light sword after I didn't get one from the ghosts.It's much faster than saving and reloading for 2 hrs, and it's cheating either way anyways

I am NOT agree with you to say it is cheating to get the sword if you trie 100 times and get the sword in the game if you get it in the game it is NOT cheating you have worked hard to get it so it is not cheating but if you use an "editor" to get it THAT is cheating!! [img]graemlins/hairfreak.gif[/img]