Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Kinbote
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello. I realize that this is not a forum for Wizardry Gold, but then I'm not aware of any more appropriate place (and if there is such a thing as a Wiz Gold forum, please let me know!) Anyway, I assume that many people here are very familiar with the game, and I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Though I'm pretty familiar with Wiz 8, Wiz Gold has me a bit bewildered.

I started playing a few days ago, made a party that I think (or hope) is reasonably acceptable, and sent them out to explore New City. Once I'd done that, I consulted a walkthrough (the shame of it!), and concluded that Orkogre Castle was the best place to go next. Here's the problem: while I have little difficulty in New City and in the forests (my guys are at levels 6 and 7), I'm getting obliterated in Orkogre. My conclusion was that I just needed to level up more, but the creatures I'm encountering (outside of the castle) just aren't giving me anywhere near the kind of experience I need at this point. It's getting pretty frustrating. Can anyone point me in a better direction, or give me pointers on how to improve my party?

I do have other questions (actually a bunch) but I'll let them wait.

Thanks in advance.
Kinbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

There is a forum, active, and with a fairly large archive of topics to haelp you.
Since there's no competition on IW, here's a link...

http://www.softwarespecialties.com/c...conf=DCConfID1

only wish i knew how to make long links shorter...
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Kinbote
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Scatter, that is VERY much appreciated. I'll try my questions over there. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:00 AM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinbote:
Hello. I realize that this is not a forum for Wizardry Gold, but then I'm not aware of any more appropriate place (and if there is such a thing as a Wiz Gold forum, please let me know!) Anyway, I assume that many people here are very familiar with the game, and I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Though I'm pretty familiar with Wiz 8, Wiz Gold has me a bit bewildered.

I started playing a few days ago, made a party that I think (or hope) is reasonably acceptable, and sent them out to explore New City. Once I'd done that, I consulted a walkthrough (the shame of it!), and concluded that Orkogre Castle was the best place to go next. Here's the problem: while I have little difficulty in New City and in the forests (my guys are at levels 6 and 7), I'm getting obliterated in Orkogre. My conclusion was that I just needed to level up more, but the creatures I'm encountering (outside of the castle) just aren't giving me anywhere near the kind of experience I need at this point. It's getting pretty frustrating. Can anyone point me in a better direction, or give me pointers on how to improve my party?

I do have other questions (actually a bunch) but I'll let them wait.

Thanks in advance.
You never go to Okogre castle at this point. First finish Munkaharma. Then do so Umpani, then Okogre. That is how I went and it works out fine.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

I always finished Orkogre first, then Munkharama. It always worked well for me.
But I usually first made a trip through the flowers to the Tower of Dane, to get Iron Will first

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 10-14-2004, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:36 AM   #6
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Yes, Orkogre is fine at that point, though level 7 seems quite low, you're right. Did you find the beginner dungeon near where you started? That might level you up a bit... also, in New City, there should be quite some tough enemies as well that let you level up, I think (it's been a while).

Enjoy, Wiz 7 is just great!

Cheers
Philipp

P.S.: Don't be ashamed of the walkthrough, it's a tough game.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

For me, Orkogre is usually the next station. But level 7 sounds low, i think i was usually 9-10 at this point.

One thing i do is take take the road to munkharama, and clear the road and the surrounding wildernesse first. But i don't enter munkharama at this stage, since the monsters there often are quite stron (dark forest monks IIRC).

Did you clear the 'wildernesse' around the roads, or just walk along the road?
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Kinbote
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended up switching the difficulty from normal to easy, and things are working much better. My suspicion is that I didn't pay enough attention to all the variables during character creation, and probably have a party that isn't quite up to snuff. Nevertheless, I'm attached to them now and will see how far I can get.

Yes, I went to the starter dungeon first (and also got the map kit, which made things a lot nicer). I also am making a point to clear up as much wilderness as possible as I travel. The problem is that the encounters there (back and forth from New City to Orkogre) are giving me such pitiful experience that it barely seems worthwhile. One of my mistakes, I think, was my assumption that Wiz 8 knowledge applied to this game as well, whereas it has really been as much a hindrance as a help.

One question. Is there any way to control stat increase (as opposed to skills) when you level up? I'm beginning to think that some of my guys should switch classes. When is switching a good idea?

Thanks again.

[By the way, I'm extremely impressed at the amount of traffic a game like Wiz 8 still receives; it shows the love people have for this series.]
Old 10-14-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

I like to get Munkaharma done first... That way T'shober is generally still alive and healthy. Fighting his ghost is a b*tch to do.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #10
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

I do the wilderness towards Munkharama first.

The only way to control stat increases is to refight the battle that levels you up. Sometimes it just isn't worth it for hard, long or lucky battles. (I think you also get stat bonuses that are non-combat but I forget.) With a fast machine it is hard to see the stat increases, you almost have to mem them or write them down for players near lev to see what you got. Many times you get almost nothing to primaries (like, one point in intelligence for a fighter). Other times you may get three or four in good areas like strength or speed. I use to play the "stat game" in Wiz 7 and it really helps early on. Wiz 7 is still my alltime fave but I don't quite have as much patience for it. Wiz 8 is more playable.