Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2001, 01:39 AM   #51
Draconia

LadyZ- I know this way off topic, but I wanted to let you know that I read that book Swan Song. That was a really good book. I had a hard time putting it down. My husband thought I would never put it down and he was glad when I was done reading it. I even read it while I made dinner. I sure do miss reading such good books.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-08-2001, 01:51 AM   #52
The.Relic
Red Dragon

I know I'm way off topic here, but I wanted to come over and say hi...
I know I'm a pest... so sqirt me with some bug spray 8=)
Smitten by LadyRae
Old 04-08-2001, 01:56 AM   #53
Draconia

Quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
I know I'm way off topic here, but I wanted to come over and say hi...
I know I'm a pest... so sqirt me with some bug spray 8=)
Hi The.Relic,
hehe, you are not a pest. You are too sweet to be a bug.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 04-08-2001, 12:08 PM   #54
Moni

Quote:
Originaly posted by Sazerac:

Moni, do you work with hydrangeas any? I don't know what the soil down in San Antonio is like regarding flowers. Obviously it must be good for what you're saying about the roses. I bet hydrangeas would work, too...but you'd have to water them a lot. They are water intensive.
Trying to learn how to quote to respond LOL

Saz, I had never heard of Hydrangeas...had to go look for pictures LOL! They are awfully pretty and look like they would blend in well with all the stuff that is already here. Although I personally try to stay away from plants that are water intensive, Grandpa has some (forgot the first name) ferns that require alot. I have been wondering how to bring a little more color into that bed, and if they can get along the hyndrangeas might just be perfect for ground cover below them! I'll look into what the gardening centers in the city have if I can ever get Rex up today...he stayed up all night playing Fallout Tactics and I can still hear him snoring from the other room!

The original "old fashioned" wandering jews (purple ones) are blooming today! Yippee!

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 04-08-2001).]

Old 04-08-2001, 12:19 PM   #55
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well, hopefully your soil is favorable. If it is loose, then the roots should be able to move around, but if you have clay dirt, that may be a problem if she just dug a simple hole and tossed em' in. You could always take a shovel and just make deep "dents" into the soil around the perimeter of the plant (don't hit the roots!) and rock the shovel a bit back and forth to loosen up the soil a bit. Helps a lot I can tell you. We have a lot of clay round these parts where I'm living! Also mulch does wonders, I'd put some underneath them!
As for Honeysuckle, from what I have seen they seem to be very hardy and should make it as long as the roots aren't exposed or anything no matter what kind of soil you have. Good luck friend! Hope they all make it!

I'm no expert, just going on what I have learned myself so far

LZ: Well, AMEN on that clay comment! I have CLAY...ugh... but I've been ammending with manure/compost/peat and using tons of compost and it really has made a major difference in soil consistency over the last 4yrs since I built my place and moved in- not a green thing on the 3/4 acre lot then! LOL

Draconia: Wonder if you can mail order some nicer plants from a reputable dealer? Rugosas, by the way, are the hardiest things you could ever ask for. The ones I have are all hybrid rugosas, but are sturdy and tough! I avoid the old roses (WHICH I LOVE!) because of chronic allergies (heavyily scented roses tend to set them off), and wanted something less tender than hybrid teas.

You mentioned buying one thing and finding out it was another? LOL...I got my Hansa that way. The tags from the orginating nursery said it was FJ Groootendorst ( a carmine red clustering rose with small very button-like flowers). But when it bloomed I had this lovely LARGE purlple-red flower! NO clusters....so I figured out it had been mislabeled. My nursery gets things frome elsewhere and this was one of a batch that had all been mislabeled. Mark of a great nursery- they GAVE me the one I had intended to buy, FREE when I mentioned what happened! I was going to buy Hansa anyway, but it was a nice deal.

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 04-08-2001, 12:30 PM   #56
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Draconia;

It is a good thing I have horses.
LOL Yes, I have actually been wishing the locals would ride their horses by more often so I can help our back yard along heh heh heh. Maybe I should take a 5 gallon bucket with me next time I take a kitty to the vet...she always has a horse or two there.

Your trees sound wonderful, I miss walnut trees from having them around in my much younger days at "home". Dad loved French lilacs and had one in the backyard that we kids would gather around just to smell every year.

We have chinaberry trees here...pretty blooms that smell delicious but I hate the "yard marbles" LOL!

We also have a couple of evergreens, two large pecan trees and an old Oak that is beautiful, but not as beautiful as the one Rex's (my roomie) parent's have. It is huge with at least four or 5 large limbs that sprout out from the main trunk and...well it is just indescribable lol! I can tell you though that I find myself just staring at it a lot whenever we visit there, I just can't get over how pretty it is!

In out backyard there is also an old oak stump that stands about 4 ft. high...I am itching to cut it down shorter and add a tabletop to it and throw some pavers around the base so that we can have a place to sit that is out in the open. I love the shade but the birds love the trees and I dread being bombed from above. I keep feeders out so we have a large variety of birds around here as well as squirrels who thankfully keep our yard cleared of the fallen pecans.

The tabletop and paver project is far ahead into the future though, there is so much else I want to get done first.

Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 04-08-2001).]

Old 04-08-2001, 12:31 PM   #57
Moni

The.Relic Hello!

Moni

Old 04-08-2001, 12:41 PM   #58
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

flowers... haaay... i love white roses... actually, id rather have orchids...

------------------

I...AM...BAHAMUT...AND IT IS YOU PEOPLE...I FEAR
Old 04-08-2001, 01:43 PM   #59
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draconia:
LadyZ- I know this way off topic, but I wanted to let you know that I read that book Swan Song. That was a really good book. I had a hard time putting it down. My husband thought I would never put it down and he was glad when I was done reading it. I even read it while I made dinner. I sure do miss reading such good books.

Hey Great! Someone listened to me re books! Yes I loved that book and Robert Macammon has others that are good as well, but Swan Song was definitely his best work. It was a sad day when I realized he wasn't going to write anymore. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a movie based on that book? Of course, the special effects would be very costly I think!

------------------
Old 04-08-2001, 06:09 PM   #60
Draconia

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Draconia: Wonder if you can mail order some nicer plants from a reputable dealer? Rugosas, by the way, are the hardiest things you could ever ask for. The ones I have are all hybrid rugosas, but are sturdy and tough! I avoid the old roses (WHICH I LOVE!) because of chronic allergies (heavyily scented roses tend to set them off), and wanted something less tender than hybrid teas.

You mentioned buying one thing and finding out it was another? LOL...I got my Hansa that way. The tags from the orginating nursery said it was FJ Groootendorst ( a carmine red clustering rose with small very button-like flowers). But when it bloomed I had this lovely LARGE purlple-red flower! NO clusters....so I figured out it had been mislabeled. My nursery gets things frome elsewhere and this was one of a batch that had all been mislabeled. Mark of a great nursery- they GAVE me the one I had intended to buy, FREE when I mentioned what happened! I was going to buy Hansa anyway, but it was a nice deal.

Cloudy
That sure sounds like you got a great deal. I think the next time I go to a nursery I will try and find some of those kinds of roses. My husband is planning on taking me out of town sometime this week and I might hit some nurseries in Salt Lake City. I will write those kinds of roses down and try one out. I hope I can find one. Thanks for the info on them.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen