Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have built a level 10 monk, and do not really know how to use him very well. He is a Gray Monk, so his weapon of choice is defaulted as a staff. I see three special abilities. When not using his staff, he can do a fast-punch like thing, that is activated or deactivated on command. Another attribute is a stunning strike once/day. He cannot have the staff in-hand. The last is a single heal w/Ki.

I guess what I am asking is how to fairly play this guy, and as well...what should be the maximum level of equipment he has?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I have built a level 10 monk, and do not really know how to use him very well. He is a Gray Monk, so his weapon of choice is defaulted as a staff. I see three special abilities. When not using his staff, he can do a fast-punch like thing, that is activated or deactivated on command. Another attribute is a stunning strike once/day. He cannot have the staff in-hand. The last is a single heal w/Ki.

I guess what I am asking is how to fairly play this guy, and as well...what should be the maximum level of equipment he has?
First, get rid of the staff. The monk is a powerhouse unarmed. The weapons are actually restricting the characters abilities. You get more attacks and more damage unarmed than armed. Here is the chart from the manual (and I put in the armed attack rate and damage for quarterstaff for comparison):

code:
Level   Unarmed Attack Bonus*  Armed Attack Bonus*  Unarmed Dmg** Armed Dmg
1 +0 +0 1d6/1d4 1d6
2 +1 +1 1d6/1d4 1d6
3 +2 +2 1d6/1d4 1d6
4 +3 +3 1d8/1d6 1d6
5 +3 +3 1d8/1d6 1d6
6 +4/+1 +4 1d8/1d6 1d6
7 +5/+2 +5 1d8/1d6 1d6
8 +6/+3 +6/+1 1d10/1d8 1d6
9 +6/+3 +6/+1 1d10/1d8 1d6
10 +7/+4/+1 +7/+2 1d10/1d8 1d6
11 +8/+5/+2 +8/+3 1d10/1d8 1d6
12 +9/+6/+3 +9/+4 1d12/1d10 1d6
13 +9/+6/+3 +9/+4 1d12/1d10 1d6
14 +10/+7/+4/+1 +10/+5 1d12/1d10 1d6
15 +11/+8/+5/+2 +11/+6/+1 1d12/1d10 1d6
16 +12/+9/+6/+3 +12/+7/+2 1d20/2d6 1d6
17 +12/+9/+6/+3 +12/+7/+2 1d20/2d6 1d6
18 +13/+10/+7/+4/+1 +13/+8/+3 1d20/2d6 1d6
19 +14/+11/+8/+5/+2 +14/+9/+4 1d20/2d6 1d6
20 +14/+12/+9/+6/+3 +15/+10/+5 1d20/2d6 1d6

* The number of attack bonuses is the number of attacks. For example, an attack bonus of +6/+1 means that the character makes 2 attacks, one at +6 to hit and one at +1 to hit.

** The number after the slash is for small monks (Gnomes and Halflings). The number before the slash is for everyone else.
[/QUOTE]Thus, for a medium sized monk, there is no difference for levels 1-3 between using the quarterstaff and using bare hands, and after that point the advantage is to bare hands. For a small monk, armed has the advantage through 1-3 (due to the extra damage), it is the same for levels 4 and 5, and then bare hands have the advantage after that. Thus, the only time a monk should use the quarterstaff is if they are small sized, and then only until you reach level 4. In addition, now that you are level 10 your fists act as +1 weapons when attacking creatures with damage reduction. They become +2 weapons at 13th level and +3 weapons at 16th level.

Flurry of blows is a special mode that allows you to make one extra unarmed attack (at the leftmost/highest bonus listed), but all of your attacks take a -2 to hit. Considering how much damage each of your unarmed attacks do, it is quite effective. Use often, except maybe against high AC targets (dragons, etc.). You stay in Flurry of blows mode until you press it again or the combat ends.

Stunning fist is very useful against bosses, especially spellcasters. You have to select it to use it. Your next attack takes -4 to hit and damage, and the opponent gets to make a fortitude save (based on your wisdom, so higher wisdom helps). However, if they fail, they are held for 3 rounds, letting you have a field day with them (can't attack back). For extra fun, hit them with the stunning fist after a couple of rounds (before recovering from the first stunning fist), leaving them held the whole time. You can use it 1 time per level, so you should have 10 uses of it at 10th level.

Wholeness of body heals a number of hit points equal to 2x your level, but is only usable once a day. If you are getting hammered, pull out of the combat and use this.

Other abilities that are working in the background are evasion and improved evasion (i.e. against any reflex save to avoid damage, you take half damage on a failed save and no damage on a successful save). You are also immune to disease, and will become immune to poison at 11th level. At 12th level you get spell resistance equal to level + 10. At 15th you get the Quivering Palm (select it once per day, and if the next attack hits they must make a fortitude save (wisdom makes this stronger, as per stunning fist) or die instantly). At 18th level, you can select Empty Body twice per day to temporarily get 50% concealment (if someone hits you with an attack, there is a 50% chance it misses anyway). At 20th level, you get damage reduction 20/+1.

In addition, your wisdom bonus is added to your AC along with your dexterity bonus. In addition, if you are surprised or hit from behind, you lose the dexterity bonus to AC, but not the wisdom bonus. The only time that you lose the wisdom bonus is if you are held (can't move at all). In addition, wisdom improves the odds of stunning fist and quivering palm working. Thus, both wisdom and dexterity should be high; don't be afraid of using booster items (periapts of wisdom, etc.) to increase these stats. Dexterity increases your initiative roll (allows you to get the jump on opponents), so don't completely ignore it. You really want to boost your AC as much as possible; don't worry about boosting damage, as you will do a lot of damage unarmed, especially at higher levels. Increased AC (along with resistance to energy and gloves to do energy damage to open chests) are your priority. The only time I used weapons were to use a bow (I played an elf) with energy arrows to open trapped chests from a distance. Use energy shuriken to do the same thing with other races. A monk has great saves across the board, but it does not hurt to take the feats that increase your saves (Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will), especially Lighting Reflexes to allow you to avoid trap damage (since the evasion and improved evasion will come into play). This will allow you to set off traps and (hopefully) take little damage. Add the energy resistance to help with that, and (if you can find it) regeneration to get back hp between battles. Also, the toughness feat is very helpful for a monk (extra hp never hurt).

Hope that helps!
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:49 AM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

In NWN I believe at level 9 Gloves of the Hin Fist +3 become available - GET THEM. They add 2 additional sonic damage that no one appears to be immune to. In some cases that will be the ONLY damage that your monk is doing (because of a creature's high damage soaking ability).

Get robes of the Old Order for their damage soaking ability. (much latter at level 20 you can switch to robes of the dark moon for haste considering that you have 20 in damage soaking at level 20)

Virtually always use (and make sure its on) Flurry of Blows. I've literally never found NOT using it to be helpfull (except when making a stunning fist attack), the extra attack more than compensates for the -2 hit penalty. This is the one attack mode you'll be using - forget everything else in melee.

There are two schools of thought on Attribute development for Monks
1. Dexterity based (requires the weapon finesse unarmed attack feat)
2. Strength based

Strength of course will add considerably to your damage, but doing so substantially reduces your AC level. But with the above robes and a high constitution (and healing potions), you won't need even a decent AC.

Dexterity conversly will give you a much higher AC but it adds no damage to your attack.

If your utilizing a pure Monk up to level 20 then I'd say go for the Strength Monk simply because you won't need a high AC - you'll soak up the damage. Here of course its Strength first and Consitution 2nd. If you go this route then don't worry about wisdom or dexterity beyond 10 - there not worth it.

If you plan on changing classes then I'd start considering a Dexterity Monk (great for a Sorcerer which you can read about in the SOU forum section). Wisdom makes a nice secondary here.

Stunning Fist is nice on rare occasions and your wisdom really only needs to be at about 14, (but you may have to use it twice to get it to work). You can of course quaff potions and wear a wisdom necklace to get it to work. However normal attacks with haste typically works better than stunning fist because you are hitting so often that you disrupt the actions of your opponent.

Quivering Palm is next to useless - you have to have a ridiculosly high wisdom to get it to work and most of the opponents that you need to use it against make their savings throw. (and you only get one shot with it.)

I've played multiple styles of Monk and if I were playing a pure Monk again I'd go the Strength and Constitution route. Hit hard, hit VERY often, and clean up the competition as quickly as possible. Part of the reason is that Dexterity Monks seem to get hosed on their damage rolls regardless of level.

Preferred feats would be:
Greater Cleave
Improved Critical (unarmed strike)
Blind Fight
Toughness (Taken at 3rd)
Thug or Blooded (Taken at 1st level)
Improved Initiative (If Human also taken at 1st level)
(the last two here help with initiative to the extent that you will often get in the first one, or two, or three, or four, etc. - hits in first which will often kill your opponent b4 they hit you.)

Preferred skills:
Hide
Move Silently
Tumble

Make sure you quaff healing potions when you get down to half of your hit points in combat AND if possible wear regeneration items.

[ 09-15-2003, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:25 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks!!!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
Louis de Lioncourt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I'm playing a monk and its my favorite class for fighting.

Using both dext and stregth will help u a lot. Get at least dext 15 for amazing circle kick. Circle kick + great cleave + flurry of blows + darkmoon robe = tons of enemies dead in a few seconds. Use stunning fist and improved knockdown a lot too. Remember knockdown and improved knockdown comes for free at lvl 6.

I have killed every foe until now in the too easy, I'm lvl 13, about to enter Luskan.

PS.: Circle Kick is available for SoU exp pack only.