Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2002, 12:16 AM   #1
Rankor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all,

Due to some short-sighted character creation on my part, I'm a little at a loss as to what I should do with my thief. His stats are more or less as follows (can't remember everything exactly...):

Wild Elf Level 8 Rogue
str: 16
Dex: 22 (with various magical items)
Con: 14
Wis: 8
Int: 8
Cha: 8

Skills are divided pretty evenly between stealth and detecting/disarming traps/lockpicking. Feats are Rapid Shot, initiative, and some others.

My problem is that my initial conceptualization of him was as a fighter/thief (something like 4 levels of fighter and the rest as a thief), but I didn't take into account that if I do that now, he will only get 80% of the XP that is due to him, basically for the rest of his days. Alternatively, I could dual him to sorcerer (the preferred class of Wild Elves), and so would avoid the XP penalty, but his charisma is so low that I don't know if it would be worth it.

What do all you IWDII experts out there think? Is there a high-powered ring of friendship out there that I can look forward to? I'm in the middle of Ch 2 now, so if there is a ring coming up, please don't spoil me too much by telling me where, but I guess I'd like to know if there is one.

Thanks!
Rankor
Rankor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 AM   #2
chrisofthedale
Account Removed by Request

monk or ranger might be a good choice! hope i help!
chrisofthedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:53 AM   #3
Rankor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just another note--the other members of my party are a fighter, a druid, a cleric and a sorcerer, all pure class, they are all human except the sorcerer, who is also a wild elf.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Rankor
Rankor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 11:09 AM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, with CHA 8, he would not be able to cast any spells at all if you dualed him over to rogue. So that would certainly be a waste.

If you take him to any other class, it will be a long haul until he reaches 7th in the second class because of the xp penalty.

Monk would not be a great choice because of his low wisdom; no AC bonus there, and monks need all the armor bonus they can manage, especially early on. Cleric is similarly out because wisdom is low, ditto for wizard and int.

SO if you want second class, you're pretty much stuck with a tank type.

On the other hand, I've had groups with pure rogues all the way through, and found them to be effective with bows and rapid shot. As an elf, he can use the longbow, and there are some nice bows/arrows in the game. Also, his strength is good, so he ought to get some decent backstab damage in, as well.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
SomeGuy
Unicorn

keep 'em they way he is.I never dual class em.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 04:17 AM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Rogues SHOULD be multi-classed to fighter or ranger. Only that way they can be effective
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 04:52 AM   #7
Gheital
Dungeon Master

I'm dualing my rogue to a tank typo too. I just don't know that should I dual him to fighter or barbarian. As barbarian I would get 30 hitpoints more, a barbarian rage and a bit damage resistance. But if she would be a fighter, she would get more feats. She needs them pretty much because she's using 2 weapons. And I could pretty easily take toughness feat 5 times when I would get more hp. To clear this up I'm planning on making him 15/15.

The ones of you that know that will the barbarian has enough feats or why else I should go for a barbarian, tell me. At the moment I'm making her a fighter.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:39 AM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Barbarian?? Oh god how I could not think about it!? I have a ranger (free dual wielding) fighter (for feats) rogue (10 level is enough or 11 for 6d6 sneak attack) well I'll make her fighter/ranger/barbarian/rogue! great idea thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:52 PM   #9
Gheital
Dungeon Master

Doesn't the thieves have snares anymore? I have a level 10 rogue in my current game and he doesn't have any snares. How about that weapon poisoning that I think I read from this forum some time ago. In what level the rogue gets the weapon poisoning?

How effective the sneak attack is? If I have high enough hiding skill, can I hide in a middle of a fight?

What else nice things rogues get? I'm making a 50/50 rogue/fighter now and planning to solo her. Could normal thief make it through?

I wouldn't start her from level one. I'll take her with my current party a bit before the end.

What übergood skills/things rogues get when over level 15?
Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 PM   #10
Gheital
Dungeon Master

I bet that at least one reader of this forum knows the answer, so could you please reply?