Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2002, 01:36 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Okay this has been bugging me ever since I've heard about it...WHAT THE HECK IS IT!?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

THACO - To Hit Armour Class Zero.

Its the number you need to roll on a D20 to hit a target with an armour of zero. If the target has another armour value, subtract it from your THACO and you get the number you need to roll. So if you have a THACO of 5 and your opponent has an AC of -2, you need to roll a 7, and will hit 70% of the time.

No matter what the THACO and AC are, you always miss on a natural 1, and always hit on a natural 20.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:19 PM   #3
SomeGuy
Unicorn

So the higher the thaco the better?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 12-01-2002, 04:40 PM   #4
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
So the higher the thaco the better?
No lower is better here.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 04:42 PM   #5
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Just the opposite, SomeGuy. As your characters advance in level, their THACO will decrease. In other words, as their THACO goes down, they improve their chances of hitting their opponents in combat.

Think of it this way:
A THACO of 19 means that the character will hit an opponent with AC 0 only with a 'to hit' score of 19 or better. But a THACO of 16 means that the character will hit an opponent with AC 0 on a roll of 16 or better. Thus a character with a THACO of 16 has a better chance of hitting an opponent with AC 0 than a character of THACO 19.

The warrior classes - fighters, paladins and rangers - improve their THACO much more quickly than the other classes.

The THACO score works as a base value that is used to determine how well a character will hit various armor classes. For example a character with a THACO of 16 will hit an opponent of AC 5 on a roll of 11 or better [16 - 5= 11]. The same character would need an 18 or better to hit an opponent in AC -2 [16 - (-2)=16 + 2= 18].

Hopefully, I didn't just confuse you more with this *LOL* [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Thanks guys.I finnaly know what it stands for.