Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 09:51 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

What do they do, exactly?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:24 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Straight from the book:
"Bard Song: This is possible by Bards - the bard character will begin playing a song, which continues until any action other than movement is selected for that bard. While the song is playing, the party morale and luck is higher. (Luck decreases attack rolls and damage caused by enemies)"

Thats word for word from the book. I'm not sure what the exact values are as far as the effect goes. They didn't make a chart for it.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:52 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Straight from the book:
"Bard Song: This is possible by Bards - the bard character will begin playing a song, which continues until any action other than movement is selected for that bard. While the song is playing, the party morale and luck is higher. (Luck decreases attack rolls and damage caused by enemies)"

Thats word for word from the book. I'm not sure what the exact values are as far as the effect goes. They didn't make a chart for it.
That's anoying, I'd like to know what it does exactly.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:56 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
What do they do, exactly?
Bard Song: A skill possessed only by Bards: They have the option to stop fighting, and instead sing and play music to lift the spirits of their comrades and dishearten their enemies. Bards may walk around while singing, but cannot do anything else. While under the effects of Bard Song, party members recieve +1 to hit and damage, which may not sound like much, but when everybody starts rolling twice as many Critical Hits, it makes a difference. Also known as Battlesong, it may be used an infinite number of times per day, for as long as the Bard wishes.

http://www.geocities.com/sixospades/bg/chap2.htm
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
While under the effects of Bard Song, party members recieve +1 to hit and damage, which may not sound like much, but when everybody starts rolling twice as many Critical Hits, it makes a difference.
Allow me to add the caveat that my report on Bard Song was actually based on little more than hearsay--I've never seen any sort of authoritative report on Bard Song either, so I suspect that none even exists. It would take someone much more familiar with the Infinity Engine than I to crack open the code and see what it actually does. And even if my guess at Bard Song's effects (+1 to hit and damage) is correct, then I don't know if that would equate to a simple -1 bonus to THAC0, or actually getting Critical Hits on a roll of 19.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Perhaps one should go out and raid bookstores for the official 2nd edition rules concerning Bards? That would at least give a clue as to what the effects are. Especially since the DM would have to know the exact effects in order to run the game effectively. Oh yeah, since the Bard Song is in fact a song, shouldn't the silence spell negate it's effects?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #7
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

It says +1 to hit and damage as well as +2 to morale. Beyond that it says little.

Besides the morale bonus is only relevant for henchmen and completely irrelevant for this game.

Also I believe that the Ad&d rules explicitly states that critical hits only applies for naturally rolled 20's regardless of any plusses or minuses.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:43 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Perhaps one should go out and raid bookstores for the official 2nd edition rules concerning Bards? That would at least give a clue as to what the effects are. Especially since the DM would have to know the exact effects in order to run the game effectively. Oh yeah, since the Bard Song is in fact a song, shouldn't the silence spell negate it's effects?
I own the book already, but it's in one of my stack of old 2nd edition books, in the botton drawer of my library, and the door is blocked by my scanner and the cable of my Router.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
I own the book already, but it's in one of my stack of old 2nd edition books, in the botton drawer of my library, and the door is blocked by my scanner and the cable of my Router. [/QUOTE]Dont waste your time then, the PH states as noted above...+1 to hit or damage or +2 to morale. I keep those books handy as I still DM & play 2nd edition. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I always thought the standard bard song in BG gave a +1/+1 hit & dam. within a radius, but I haven't seen anything to proves this definitively, and I dunno why I even think that? I've only played with a bard once or twice a while back!
Old 06-04-2003, 03:42 PM   #10
Midget Gems

I'm glad someone asked about Bard Song 'cos I never really knew what it did. I played one game from start to finish with the Song enabled for 99% of the time, so I hope I was getting something from it.

As Firestormalpha says, the Bard Song ought to be inhibited by 'Silence', I'm not sure about BG1 but it certainly does in IWD and it totally cuaght me off guard when it happened to me.

The two Bards in BG1 are poor examples of the Bard class, but the one in Dark Side is excellent, so if you want to check out this class you ought to play as one yourself (or get IWD - HOW).