Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Decided to do a full reinstall, and I know the order of installs and all, but had a few questions.

First, what folders I should save elsewhere so I can get back to what I had if at all possible? I grabbed copies of mpsave, sounds, portraits and characters. Are there any other things I should save?

Secondly, I have been thinking about this dialog.tlk thing. If that is the thing that is getting hosed with install/uninstall of mods, can I simply save a copy of it somewhere, and if I start getting weirdness, uninstall whatever mods I have, overwrite the dialog.tlk with virgin copy, reinstall the mods and go on about my business without having to do a full SoA/ToB install?

Thirdly, can I install the updates on things like the Tactics mod and Items mod as revisions come up, or do I have to wait until starting a new game? For instance, all I can think of that I changed from the time I started the last game was installing the more recent Items mod so that I had the "correct" melee icon for Azuredge. Could that have hosed the game?

Thanks!
Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
Vedran
Lord Soth

1. Why playing multiplayer? The loading time is longer, and there is an easy solution - move your saved game from mpsave to save folder.
Keep ScrnShot if you have made any.

2. In the ideal world, uninstalling the mods should return the dialog.tlk to virgin state. But it sometimes doesn't, sometimes the mod cannot be uninstalled at all, due to some error.
I guess the procedure you have here would work. But that depends what glitch you have.

3. It is possible to uninstall one version and install the newer. But not all the time - if the changes made by the newer version are to great, it is likely to mess the game. ReadMes and respective forums should provide the info.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for the reply.

Fair question. I am currently in 3 games -- one with the wife, one with an employee, and one with a couple friends. Honestly, I would have never bought the game if it was only single-player. If it is not networkable, it stays on the shelf.

The glitch I was concerned about is that when I am client game, sometimes odd things will happen. In Spellhold tonight, when *Irenicus cast Spawn Clones, the critters all had the same name -- Berenger, or something, though the sprites were correct -- just the wrong name. In the middle level of the tanners, I met Biff the Understudy, though he had the right name and appearance to everyone else. And then the thread about Pimlico weirdness. Oh, and in Spellhold, when *you trade one of the gems for Doomplate, instead of deleting the gem,* it deleted my Glasses of Identification.

[ 03-15-2003, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Thorfinn ]
Old 03-15-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Sounds like this could be caused by differing mods on different computers. If your in multiple multiplayer games, try and keep everyone with the same setup.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Thorfinn
Zhentarim Guard

That may be, though I have not noticed anything weird like that in the game with the wife (her's only has Toughest Random Encounters, and mine lacks only Improved Undead and Improved Ilyich), or in the game with my friends, who have about half of Tactics, but only in the game with my employee, who should have an identical setup. As far as I know, both my home machine and my office machine should be identical, though I did a whole lot more playing around installing and uninstalling the components of Tactics to see if I like them on the office machine, and there is lots of proprietary software on it, so if one was going to get hosed or have conflicts, that would be the most likely one.

Also, my office machine is right at the minimum configuration (actually slightly below, speedwise) while my home machine is well above the high end machine they spec. I don't know if that makes any difference, but possible, I guess.