Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2002, 10:21 PM   #1
zakharak
The Magister

I loved Icewind Dale. There were times where i just couldn't play the game, because of frustration. (Like the time i put the game down for two weeks when i first got to the idol!)

But persistence paid off after all, (and i kicked that Poquilin bi-atch after all) and i finished, finally, and now i am ready for HOW. How nice it was, HOW was sent to me the day before finishing and that's perfect timing i think!!

Only lost my thief in the battle, she now has nothing in HOW, ohh well. more of a challenge!!

Lates y'all

Now, i think it's time to let the story go furthur, and i have a question:
Has anyone read R.A. Salvatore's books? I'm interested in reading some of them. Could you tell me what is the first one? Also, when were they written?

Ok, peace for now!
Old 03-27-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, you did ask...

First, there was The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, and the Halfling's Gem (also know as The Icewind Dale Trilogy). The Barbarian was SUPPOSE to be the main char, but people fell in love with the Drow Ranger and wanted to know more about him.

So two years later, Salvatore wrote the Prequil Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn stories (AKA The Dark Elf Trilogy).

Then, Salvatore and his editors decided that they were done with the Series and wanted to go elsewhere with it. So they decided to write in the same genre (scifi fantasy). Robert wanted to do a Monk. Except they technically weren't a part of DnD any more. So he did a cleric (and cheated in a Monk in the form of the love interest). This was a five book series - Canticle, In sylvan Shadows, Night Masks, The Fallen Fortress, and The Chaos Curse. The main Character is Cadderly. These novels were hard to read because, to be honest, you had that familar writing style, but no Drizzt, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, etc. Give them a chance. It is called the Cleric Quintet.

Haven't researched it yet, but I feel that Salvatore wanted to interact his two streams of Forgotten Realms characters and, lets face it, write more about Drizzt and friends. So he created The Legacy, Starless Night, Siege of Darkness, and Passage to Dawn - AKA Legacy of the Drow.

As a foot note, I have all of the above in Collector edition. 4000 pages for about $100 American.

In the last year or two, he has written Servant of the Shard, The Silent Blade, The Spine of the World, and Sea of Swords. I have yet to read them, but I believe it is a continuation of the Legacy of the Drow books.

Hopefully that answers you question without giving away too much of the plot.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:32 AM   #3
zakharak
The Magister

Yes, you definately got my feet wet! I am interested in at least the first couple (to start with). Thanks.

One more thing.. Did he write the books first? I shoot to believe that. Musta been in the last five years too, huh?

Lata skata!

Z
Old 03-27-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Black Knight--yes, Salvatore eventually did have a "crossover" between his Icewind Dale characters and those from the Snowflake Mountains (Edificant Library/Spirit Soaring region). I won't go into any more details so I don't spoil anything for you.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 01:37 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

How could you drop IWD? Even for a bit!
Old 03-27-2002, 07:08 PM   #6
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
Black Knight--yes, Salvatore eventually did have a "crossover" between his Icewind Dale characters and those from the Snowflake Mountains (Edificant Library/Spirit Soaring region). I won't go into any more details so I don't spoil anything for you.
[img]smile.gif[/img] I know that he did do the "crossover" - I just wasn't as sure as the reasoning behind it. The collectors editions of the first two trils had note from the editor. Didn't have one for the 4th series (the crossover one).

Cheers,

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
ronan
The Magister

how do the books interact with the story of the game and any ideas on the content, in terms of story of IWD2
Old 03-28-2002, 12:33 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

@Black Knight: His reasoning? Probably these: 1) because he can, 2) money, and 3) everyone loves a good crossover. The best fighter in the world meets the most powerful cleric in the world? How can you fail?
My only question is: what was he thinking while writing Spine of the World? It falls far below the caliber of his other works....

@ronan: There is no connection between the game IWD and Salvatore's books, except that the settings are in the same location. IWD is set several decades before the first recorded sighting of Drizzt on the surface; Bruenor Battlehammer might be found in the dwarven settlement near Kelvin's Cairn, if you looked for him.

Old 03-28-2002, 10:56 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer

There was a major behind the scenes fight between TSR and Salvatore. TSR claimed that the characters were "their property" since Salvatore wrote the books involving Drizzt et al under contract with TSR. Salvatore claimed that they were "his property" and he could write additional books revolving around these characters outside of the TSR label. Eventually the dispute was resolved, but for a while Bob threatened to discontinue writing anymore books about these characters, and did in fact write several other fantasy novels outside of the TSR label.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:58 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

I don't blame him. Were I an author--something I haven't ruled out in my life, mind you--I wouldn't want to write under the auspices of TSR/WoTC (or whatever they are these days). Too controlling; my characters are mine. Unless they were going to pay me a really nice royalty percentage.

Anyway, I know he wrote at least one Star Wars novel and that he did something many people thought of as a big no-no (no spoilers, here ). It pays to be diverse, obviously.

Completely off-topic now, but oh well. I'd like to see a story in which Drizzt is honestly defeated in one-on-one combat to see how he handles defeat. Is he as wise as he purports to be? Anyway....

Drizzt is the (in most people's opinion) best fighter, Elminster is the most powerful mage (Faerun only), Cadderly is the most powerful cleric, and Artemis is the best assassin. Who are the other "mosts"? Who is the best archer (personally I think Daniel Brennan--the Yeoman--is the best archer; if you know who he is then kudos to you)?

[ 03-29-2002, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Azred ]