Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Default Avernum: Complete Saga worth $7.99?

Saw this on gog.com today and it looks like it would be fun, I've been looking for a rpg to play for a while. I've seen positive comments about these games in the past but am curious if those who have played it think it's fun past the first hour or so. Sometimes dungeon crawl rpgs like this turn tedious once the initial fun has worn off.

Here's the link to gog's sale if you want to see what is included:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/avernum_the_complete_saga

For comparison, I loved the Wizardry series (am considering re-starting Wiz 8 if I can find a good mod) and enjoyed the gold box games many years ago. Baldurs gate, planescape, fallout are my favorites but I understand that they are a different breed of game from this.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Avernum: Complete Saga worth $7.99?

Taste is individual so I can't say how you would enjoy it. I played Avernums 1 thru 5 and found them good the whole way through. (Avernum 4 did not grab me as much, it seemed a dumb hybrid between Avernum and Geneforge worlds.)
There are also many other games too, Avadon and Geneforge come to mind. Check out the Spiderweb site, as the games are shareware you can try demo versions to see how you like them.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Re: Avernum: Complete Saga worth $7.99?

I actually played my first Spiderweb game last year, Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which is basically the first Avernum game in a new engine. I really enjoyed the game and put in over 100 hours to complete it. If you're a fan of turn based combat, party based games and don't mind an older graphical style (gameplay trumps graphics!) then it's definitely worth your time.

I ended up buying Avernum 4-6 as well as Avadon and Nethergate, but I think I'll wait until the Avernum 2 remake comes out before continuing the story any further.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote