Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 11:55 AM   #1
robo donkey
Manshoon

If you had a party including 4 or more multi-classed charecters would it have a negative impact on the game? I only ask this as I am planning a party with me as a cleric/mage, another charecter created in multi-player that is a thief/mage, Jaheira (Fighter/Druid) and Minsc (ranger). Would i have problems with this party or with other predominantly Multi-class parties?
robo donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 12:02 PM   #2
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

i think you should be fine. if you decide to include a single class character, i´d recommend a wizard or, even better, a sorcerer.
i´m currently playing a party of a fmt, jaheira, viconia, aerie, anomen and haer´dalis and it´s one of the easiest games so far since everyone has access to stoneskins apart from viconia (whom i use for ranged support only unless i´m fighting wizards).
you will miss out on the ultimate power trips only high-level mages get but if you can live without the wonderfully smelly cheese of project image and without decimating entire armies within moments using sequencers... go ahead.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:13 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Generally Multi-Class characters are weaker than single or dual-class in SoA as they can't reach high levels, which is extremely bad for a mage or cleric due to lack of high level spells. If you have ToB installed however multis are a fine selection as they can really excel with those extra XP points.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If you only have SoA, it's a tossup: Single and Dual-classes can reach the higher-level spells or get godly Saving Throws that make them practically invincible, as well as taking a kit, whereas Multiclassing gives you a more flexible, versatile character and (for some reason) 20-25% more hitpoints.

BUT. If you have ToB, Multiclasses RULE. Not only will they quickly reach the Saving Throws and highest spell levels that were denied them in SoA, but they can choose twice as many High-Level-Abilities as Single- or Dual-classes. My ToB Powergamer Dream Party is as follows:
Half-elven Ranger/Cleric (protagonist)
Elven Fighter/Thief
Half-Elven Fighter/Druid
Elven Fighter/Mage
Half-Elven Cleric/Mage
Elven Mage/Thief
I'm calling them the Suldenesselites. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
bah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I’m very disappointed in the multi-class characters. I’m on chapter 7 and Aerie doesn’t have any level 7 spells yet and I added her as early as possible. Takes way to long to level up. At least in SOA it does, which all I have ever played.
bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 09:15 PM   #6
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by bah:
I’m very disappointed in the multi-class characters. I’m on chapter 7 and Aerie doesn’t have any level 7 spells yet and I added her as early as possible. Takes way to long to level up. At least in SOA it does, which all I have ever played.
It does take a long time to become "God-like" in one class, but Aerie is able to cast both Cleric and Mage spells, which is her advantage over any other NPC. That's the idea of Multi-class; Some disadvantages and some advantages. I personally love them. Especially Cleric/Rangers
"Wherever she dwells I will bid a farewell sigh For she dwells with beauty - beauty that must die And deep inside me I will wait for her return To her enchanting, awe-inspiring flame I'll yearn O lust and rueful thought be mine, My soul enhanced, desires... Melancholy. My heart is thine."

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97
Iluvatar Oakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:12 AM   #7
Radek
Red Dragon

An interesting class to try: a DUAL class ranger/CLERIC (dual immediately at the beginning of the game). It is a single class character so that it advances quickly but:
a) it has plenty of proficiences: 8 from the ranger plus next ones from the priest.
b) it is still a ranger so that it can put 3+ in 2weapons and 2+ in other priest weapons.
c) it gets all priest and all druid spells!
d) its stronghold is the ranger's stronghold.
Do not worry about THAC0 - Crom Faeyr in one hand and Scullcrusher or Blackblood in the other will put it all right. The multiclass ranger/cleric will not be better because of low level.