Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2002, 08:11 PM   #1
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

Am I the only one here who wonders why it seems like the world is getting worse everyday, even with all the people trying to fix it. It just seems like nothing goes right in the world today. I'm not gonna get specific but please give me your opinions.
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 01-24-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I think it depends almost completely on your mood....which in turn does depend on the circumstances of course, but it's mostly psychological. For example when you are down you think "oh damn that exam tomorrow is gonna go really badly and I haven't really got that many good friends and there's probably gonna be another war soon." But when you are in a good mood you're more like: "Hmm I think that exam might go ok, all I gotta do is a bit more study and damn that person's a good mate and heh, the next round of talks will probably clear the path for peace." Hell, I find that I look at things in completely the opposite light when I'm in a better/worse mood and I can be put in a good mood just by the sun shining as opposed to it being overcast.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-24-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Black Dragon:
It just seems like nothing goes right in the world today.

I think this sentence is key. It seems that way often because that's what we see in the media. A lot of good things happen that we don't know about. It's like with your parents - say your mother tells you to pick up your clothes or something. And you don't occasionally - but she only notices when you don't pick them up, not when you do because when you do there's nothing to notice. So to her it seems like you never pick up your clothes because the only time she notices your clothes is when you haven't picked them up. Okay stupid example
Old 01-24-2002, 08:26 PM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

I think this sentence is key. It seems that way often because that's what we see in the media. A lot of good things happen that we don't know about. It's like with your parents - say your mother tells you to pick up your clothes or something. And you don't occasionally - but she only notices when you don't pick them up, not when you do because when you do there's nothing to notice. So to her it seems like you never pick up your clothes because the only time she notices your clothes is when you haven't picked them up. Okay stupid example

No actually that's a good example...Aelia, you see it quite clearly how it is...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-24-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

No, I think it's a great example, Aelia. Thanks for that.

Black Dragon, I agree with what was said above re: the media. That's why I make a point not to watch the news unless there's specifically something I want to find out about (like Stanley Marcus' obiturary the other night; he was one of the founders of Neiman-Marcus and just passed away at age 95). Otherwise, I get my news from the Internet where I can pick and choose what I want to find out about and leave all the rest of the garbage alone.

But I understand where you're coming from. When I was 18-19, that was back in 1982-83, and all of us in that generation thought we were going to be on the brink of nuclear war because Reagan was president; we just had the issue with Russia over Grenada and Yuri Andropov, the Soviet premiere at the time, had threatened military retaliation. The "Star Wars" initiative project was being instituted. The news was filled with negativity, negativity, negativity, and even the popular music of the time (Sting's "I Hope the Russians Love Their Children, Too" and Nena's "99 Luftballoons") was all gloomy about the prospects of nuclear holocaust.

You know what? Nothing happened. And after I got a bit older, I quit worrying, and quit believing everything that was said on the news or in print. The same holds true now.

Why worry? It will most likely never happen. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-24-2002, 09:00 PM   #6
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

Your example makes perfect sense Aelia, It clearly shows a good example of the way people's minds work nowadays. Oh yeah and for Vaskez, I was just on your other topic.

quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
I got an "earful" in an email today from someone on this forum that I'm arrogant and a total loser. I know I make sarcastic jokes all the time and expect people to take them as unseriously as I do...maybe I shouldn't.

So, come on, out with it...am I really that bad? Here is your chance to tell me....I won't be offended in the slightest, although I will take it into account and maybe try and act differently. Then again you can just tell me to piss off and say this is a stupid thread to make...I don't mind either way

Tell the person who emailed you to lighten up.
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 01-24-2002, 10:27 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Black Dragon:
Am I the only one here who wonders why it seems like the world is getting worse everyday, even with all the people trying to fix it. It just seems like nothing goes right in the world today. I'm not gonna get specific but please give me your opinions.

To quote Bernard F. Suzanne's summary of some of Plato's thought:
quote:

"men cannot get along with one another and live in peace, social peace that is, unless they first bring peace and harmony between the various sides of their own selves, between their passions and their reason, between their thoughts, their words, and their acts. "

As this was discussed circa 400BC, I think it's fair to say the world and it's people are, and have always been, at once both a decaying mess, and yet also jewels of infinite beauty.

Fix what you can, accept what you can't, and work on discerning the difference. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-24-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

As this was discussed circa 400BC, I think it's fair to say the world and it's people are, and have always been, at once both a decaying mess, and yet also jewels of infinite beauty.

Fix what you can, accept what you can't, and work on discerning the difference. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Very, very thoughtful post. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2002, 10:45 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by fable:

Very, very thoughtful post. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Why thankyou Fable. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com