Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2001, 03:07 PM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Portugal are damn good, man! I would rate them above Poland. Here are my picks:

Group A:
France, Uruguay

Group B:
Spain, Paraguay

Group C:
Brazil, Turkey

Group D:
Poland, Portugal

Group E:
Germany, Ireland

Group F:
Argentina, England

Group G:
Italy, Mexico.

Group H:
Japan, Russia,

We should set up a tipping comp when the WC comes around.

Old 12-01-2001, 04:55 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Portugal are damn good, man! I would rate them above Poland. Here are my picks:

Group A:
France, Uruguay

Group B:
Spain, Paraguay

Group C:
Brazil, Turkey

Group D:
Poland, Portugal

Group E:
Germany, Ireland

Group F:
Argentina, England

Group G:
Italy, Mexico.

Group H:
Japan, Russia,

We should set up a tipping comp when the WC comes around.

I know. I kind of contradicted myself. Telling Zyb they'd beat Poland to first place, and then not tipping them.

I saw the host nation and reasoned they'd get through. Ahh who knows.

Good call on Mexico and Russia.

I sincerely hope Uruguay do NOT get through.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 12-01-2001, 08:18 PM   #13
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Portugal will be ontop of Group D for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2001, 03:09 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

I sincerely hope Uruguay do NOT get through.

They must go through, otherwise we will look really bad.

Old 12-02-2001, 10:13 AM   #15
Grojlach
Zartan

Hmm, our Belgian neighbours don't really have a very difficult group with Japan, Russia and Tunesia. And everyone knows they love the Underdog position, so if we all start expecting them to reach the second round, it would be a lot funnier when they fail.
(sorry, very lame and childish attempt to focus my jealousy on our Southern neighbours. [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 12-02-2001, 11:20 AM   #16
samoza
The Magister

France are the deserved world champions, and will probably win it again, that is if the comedian bathez doesnt muck up to much. Spain will most likely consistantly underperform as they always do. Brazil where lucky to even qualify but looking at the group they are in, they should get far. I think it is stupid that Japan and Korea have been seeded, the teams in their groups should have an easy time against them.

And of course group F - being a brit im confident svens men can at least grab second, yea i know we havnt beaten them for 25 years or sumthing silly , so isnt it about time we did? Last few times we played argentina we got a draw and time before that we only lost on pens. Nigeria are a bit of an unknown quantity, they won the olympics a while back but that doesnt really count for much.

Also, i cant believe Holland didnt qualify.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!
Old 12-02-2001, 11:34 AM   #17
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

quote:
Originally posted by samoza:

And of course group F - being a brit im confident svens men can at least grab second, yea i know we havnt beaten them for 25 years or sumthing silly , so isnt it about time we did? Last few times we played argentina we got a draw and time before that we only lost on pens. Nigeria are a bit of an unknown quantity, they won the olympics a while back but that doesnt really count for much.

Also, i cant believe Holland didnt qualify.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Japan and South Korea are seeded because they are hosting it. Nigeria are good but lost 4-1 to Denmark last Coupe de monde. I hope Denmark go far this year as they were unlucky not to reach the semis 4 years ago(lost 3-2 to Brazil) There real problem is Defence now that the Laudrup brothers are gone and Schmeichels nearl past it. Hopefully, England will do well even though they have the so called 'group of Death' The hard bit will be beating Argentina. If we do, I think they could get knocked out as sweeden are strong defensively and in attack. (Laursen is Euopean player of year) My prediction for winner though is England as they are better this year. If they hang tough in defence, then our only weakness is left midfield.

Why Sven dosn't pick David Dunn is a mystery to me as Nick(y) Barmby is rubbish and Macca has seen better days.
Old 12-02-2001, 02:23 PM   #18
Lavindathar
Harper

I'm happy with our group.

Beckham will lead us out in style, and we will win that group I hope.

We CAN beat sweden, we CAN beat Nigeria, and although Argentina are the best in the world, we should have beat them last time, we WILL beat them this time.

GO ON ENGLAND!!!

Old 12-03-2001, 04:28 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Argentina should be too strong in Group F, with England following. Keep in mind that Sweden has a proven gamewinner in Henrik Larssen and Nigeria have two brilliant players in Kanu and Babayaro.

Old 12-03-2001, 07:06 AM   #20
norompanlasolas

Grrrrrrr... These lucky Brazilian b***

Although luck may not be it, since they always get easy world cup groups. I wonder why...

Anyways, being Argentinian I must say I definitely think we are going to go through our group. I believe we are going to beat Sweden easily and Nigeria (although not so easily). England is going to be either a draw or a win for us, which should get us through in the first position either way. Brits are going to go second after us, IMO. They are going to beat the Swedes and tie with Nigeria.

If you finish second in our group you get to play Brazil and then France, so I guess its going to be tough. Well, its the World cup after all! [img]smile.gif[/img]